Airspy HF+ on GQRX

Philip Thompson

Mar 14, 2018, 12:18:35 PM3/14/18
to Gqrx SDR
Sorry for being a noob but I'm trying to get my HF+ to work on GQRX.
Have followed the instructions on the GQRX site and whatever I do, I seem to be stuck with GQRX build  2.5.1-1
as shown in Synaptic manager.

I read that I need a later version to get my HF+ working?

Anyhoo, how do I force a later version of GQRX if indeed that is the problem..... ?

I'm running Ubuntu as supplied on my Odroid XU4 which I got yesterday..

As a side, my older Airspy  RX is recognised and works well..

Phil  G4JVF

Simon Kennedy

Mar 14, 2018, 1:19:08 PM3/14/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

I assume that you haven't searched the archives of this group for 'Odroid XU4'?
When you do you will find some suggestions to previous posters who have asked the same question ;-)

Simon.

Philip Thompson

Mar 14, 2018, 2:24:07 PM3/14/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Simon
Yes, I've had a dig around but not seen much about this over writing an older GQRX with the latest one that recognizes the HF+
Being a noob with Linux doesn't help :)

Will keep at it..

Phil  G4JVF

On 14 March 2018 at 16:18, Philip Thompson <pct...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for being a noob but I'm trying to get my HF+ to work on GQRX.
Have followed the instructions on the GQRX site and whatever I do, I seem to be stuck with GQRX build  2.5.1-1
as shown in Synaptic manager.

I read that I need a later version to get my HF+ working?

Anyhoo, how do I force a later version of GQRX if indeed that is the problem..... ?

I'm running Ubuntu as supplied on my Odroid XU4 which I got yesterday..

As a side, my older Airspy  RX is recognised and works well..

Phil  G4JVF

Alexandru Csete

Mar 14, 2018, 3:02:07 PM3/14/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Phil, Simon,

It can be confusing but here is the long story short...

The Ubuntu PPA thing described here
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu is only applicable for Intel
and AMD architectures, i.e. PC-type hardware. The Odroid XU4 is ARM
architecture and the only option we have for that platform right now
is the Raspberry Pi 3:
http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi
However, I don't think these instructions will work with Ubuntu running on XU4.

For all other platforms you have to wait until I have a simpler SDR
setup ready. Or people can build from source, but that is a rather
complicated procedure even for experienced linux users.

Alex

Philip Thompson

Mar 14, 2018, 4:12:49 PM3/14/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex
Many thanks for the response and explanation.
No wonder I was getting no where :)

Anyhoo, it all works fine with my existing Airspy RX.... the HF+ will have to wait..

Thank you

Phil  G4JVF

Simon Kennedy

Mar 14, 2018, 6:37:12 PM3/14/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil

If you are new to Linux I would not recommend starting with an Odroid or any single board computer, it's just too far 'out there'!

I would suggest installing the LTS (long term support) version of Ubuntu (version 16.04 IIRC).
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is out next month but I have found that it takes a while for new versions of Ubuntu to become fully stable.

With the Ubuntu installer it is easy to install as dual boot alongside an existing Windows installation. You would then be able to install the latest version of gqrx from the ppa as documented on gqrx.dk

HTH
Simon.

Bradshaw Lupton

Jul 23, 2024, 8:56:45 AM (yesterday) Jul 23
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Phil,  eight years after your question.  K1TE here, new to the SDR

with my airspy, pi-4 dipole up high in an attic on a good hill, i get amazing 20m FT8 reception

airspy.jpg

I change to a nooelec sdr, a pretty good one, that works perfectly at 162.550 WX NFM receipotn.

When i tuned to the same 20m FT* from above, change the device to NOOELEC I get:  I see the humor.

        This must be USER ERROR.  I am missing one button click, or one secret parameter.

nooelec.jpg

              If you still have email??? after the currenw microsoft blue screen of death, I would like to know if you solve this , or took up knitting.