Help needed building Gqrx on Mac (10.11.2)?

André-John Mas

Dec 17, 2015, 6:32:24 PM12/17/15
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

I am doing my first build of Gqrx on the Mac (El Capitan) and running into a few issues.

I have installed all the dependencies that I could identify, using MacPorts. These include, but are not limited to:

 - cmake
 - gnuradio
 - gnuradio-devel
 - gr-osmosdr
 - qt4-mac

I ran the build using 'cmake .' In the output I see the following set of lines (truncated):

Checking for GNU Radio Module: FILTER

 * INCLUDES=/opt/local/include

 * LIBS=/opt/local/lib/libgnuradio-filter.dylib;/opt/local/lib/libgnuradio-fft.dylib;/opt/local/lib/libgnuradio-runtime.dylib;/opt/local/lib/libgnuradio-pmt.dylib

GNURADIO_FILTER_FOUND = TRUE

-- Could NOT find GNURADIO_OSMOSDR (missing:  GNURADIO_OSMOSDR_INCLUDE_DIRS)

-- Configuring done

CMake Warning (dev) in src/CMakeLists.txt:

  Policy CMP0043 is not set: Ignore COMPILE_DEFINITIONS_<Config> properties.

  Run "cmake --help-policy CMP0043" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy

  command to set the policy and suppress this warning.

This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

I am not sure what I should be doing to resolve this? In the meantime, I decided to chance it and just run 'make'. This seems to have worked (100% completion and no errors), butI can't seem to find the generated Gqrx.app. I tried looking for any documentation that could be of use, but I didn't find anything beyond the 'README-mac.txt' file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andre

Alexandru Csete

Dec 17, 2015, 7:36:14 PM12/17/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what the error is. Please provide the complete log as an
attachment because copy & paste often messes up the content.

> In the meantime, I
> decided to chance it and just run 'make'. This seems to have worked (100%
> completion and no errors), but I can't seem to find the generated Gqrx.app.

That's normal because the cmake build process will only build a
src/gqrx executable, not an app bundle. You have to build an app
bundle yourself but it is an excruciatingly boring and painful process
because of the many cross-dependencies in gnuradio. I just tried it
(over several days) and I think I succeeded but I can not know for
sure until I have tested it on another machine that doesn't have any
of the gnuradio or Qt stuff installed. If it works I will make
available for download.

One thing that puzzles me though, if you have installed the
dependencies using macports, why not install gqrx using macports also?
I think Michael makes the latest git available through macports.

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Dec 17, 2015, 7:41:03 PM12/17/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
By the way, you could also try building using qmake which should work
just fine when using the macports Qt.

Alex

Michael Dickens

Dec 17, 2015, 8:01:33 PM12/17/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
As Alex wrote, I keep Gqrx up to date within MacPorts -- typically 1 or
2 days behind the actual commit, but that's generally good enough for
most folks. When Alex pushed 2.4, I updated within a couple days. Since
you're already using MacPorts, you should be able to just do "sudo port
install gqrx" and MP will do the install for you. The resulting
application can be found in (typically) /Applications/MacPorts/Qt4/. You
can also issue it directly from the command line via "Gqrx" ("which
Gqrx" -> /opt/local/bin/Gqrx). Hope this helps! - MLD

André-John Mas

Dec 17, 2015, 11:02:32 PM12/17/15
to Gqrx SDR
My reason for wanting to build Gqrx is because I would like to develop a new feature for Gqrx, though a this point it is experimental. Also, I am targeting MacOS X, because that is my primary platform.

I'll attach the details of my build configure when I am back on my computer.

For anyone who has created a Gqrx app bundle on the Mac, do you have a script or an XCode project for this?

Michael Dickens

Dec 18, 2015, 10:26:24 AM12/18/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ah; OK; I know folks who do out-of-MP builds; it's not too difficult.
Easiest way is to do:
{{{
sudo port clean gqrx
sudo port configure gqrx
}}}
then, explore the configure log from "port logfile gqrx" and basically
replicate the build environment & cmake command. Most of the environment
probably won't be needed, but the cmake command should be the same
except for maybe the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX which can be somewhere other
than /opt/local if you want to do that. Hope this helps! - MLD

André-John Mas

Jan 4, 2016, 5:13:29 PM1/4/16
to Gqrx SDR
For anyone else:
  - install dependencies using MacPorts
  - build the project, as if on Linux
  - at this point you can just execute src/gqrx from the command line

It would be useful to know how the offical gqrx.app is generated, just so we can have it documented. Does anyone know who creates the Mac app bundle, so I can ask them?

Alexandru Csete

Jan 4, 2016, 6:10:46 PM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 11:13 PM, André-John Mas <andrej...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be useful to know how the offical gqrx.app is generated, just so we
> can have it documented. Does anyone know who creates the Mac app bundle, so
> I can ask them?

I have built the 2.4 bundle. I started with the gqrx binary and got
the exact list of dependencies using otool. Then copied every
dependency into the bundle and updated the links inside the binary and
libs using install_name_tool. Then do the same with the dependencies
of the dependencies and so on.

Qt comes with a tool called macdeployqt which does this for the Qt
libraries, so that at least can be automated. There are also other
tool on the web that does the same for any dependency but I have not
had much luck with any of them. So I did the rest manually.
Fortunately, I don't have to do it again as long as I can reuse the
previous bundle and only update the gqrx binary.

Alex

André-John Mas

Jan 10, 2016, 12:19:49 PM1/10/16
to Gqrx SDR