gqrx pi3 - error message portaudio_sink::work():Error writing to audio device: Output underflowed

Robin Hugo

Aug 23, 2017, 5:20:50 AM8/23/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex

I am very new to Pi 3.
Been working with network hardware for years

I have a Pi3 - just installed a clean Raspian strecth after finished testign with win10 iot version
installed gqrx following the instructions here http://gqrx.dk/doc/practical-tricks-and-tips#more-229

when I start gqrx - the sreen loads ok - I can choose frequencies, however the cli window reports constantly:

 portaudio_sink::work():Error writing to audio device: Output underflowed

I have the frequewncy set at 88.8 mhz- a known radio station near me
mode is WFM Mono

however no indication in the input bar or waterfall display

USB TVB dongle has a Si2168 chip onboard (I'm using this while I wait for my new dongle with RTL to arrive from china)

the Pi 3 is overclocked to 1.2 Gnhz and is sitting at  47 degrees C - it does have a heatsink and a metal case

I read the other topics with the same error message - however I didn't see a direct resolution to this error message

any suggestions gratefully received

thanks

Robin

Alexandru Csete

Aug 23, 2017, 7:29:41 AM8/23/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

What exactly does this mean:

> USB TVB dongle has a Si2168 chip onboard (I'm using this while I wait for my new dongle with RTL to arrive from china)

Is it an RTL dongle or not? You can't just use arbitrary TV dongles;
it needs to have the correct chipset, i.e. an RT2832U.

Alex

Robin Hugo

Aug 24, 2017, 3:55:41 AM8/24/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your message. Yes, after checking I realised that the USB stick I have with the Si2168 chip is not on the hardware list. I have ordered a new one with the RT2832U chipset, whilst I wait for that to arrive, I was experimenting with the one I had. It does work in windows for TV, so I wanted to see if it would work at all under LInux for TV or SDR, just me testing to see if anything worked at all.

If there is no possibility that this Si2168 will work for SDR then I shall wait for the other dongle to arrrive

thanks again

Robin