Overruns with bladeRF

Jacek Radzikowski

Oct 9, 2013, 2:19:35 AM10/9/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Gqrx can not catch up with bladeRF even at low sample rates. The terminal fills with 'O' characters, FFT window is updated 3-4 times a second (at refresh rate 25Hz). This happens even when the sample rate is set as low as 100kHz. I use gqrx often with rtl dongle and I never saw anything like that happening (even with 2.5MHz sample rate). Osmocom_fft works fine at 20MHz, throwing just a few 'O's before the application window shows up on the screen. Gqrx, gr-osmosdr and bladeRF lib are fresh from git.

j.

Brian Padalino

Oct 9, 2013, 8:30:25 AM10/9/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well that is problematic. Just curious - are you re-tuning very
often, or does this happen just trying to start to view a single
center frequency? There is a bottleneck in the system for re-tuning
which will be fixed this weekend.

Brian

Jacek Radzikowski

Oct 9, 2013, 9:09:46 AM10/9/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It starts when I start gqrx and ends only when I quit the application.

j.

Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier

Jacek Radzikowski

Oct 9, 2013, 9:16:54 AM10/9/13
to gqrx
I noticed that it takes some time to change center frequency in osmocom_fft, but I don't see any overruns.

j.

Alexandru Csete

Oct 9, 2013, 9:39:17 AM10/9/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I should perhaps mention that when you start gqrx the gnuradio
flowgraph inside the applciation will not be started until you "Start
DSP" in the menu or the toolbar. However, the rtl-sdr and probably
also the bladerf source will start reading samples from he device
causing an overflow until the DSP processing in gqrx is started.

This has always led to a lots of OOOO when using the rtl-sdr source
but gqrx usually recovers once processing is started. I don't know if
it is the same "feature" that is causing trouble here.

The osmocom_fft application starts processing right away and it
doesn't have this issue.

Alex
> "Gqrx SDR" group.
> email to gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAA2oDvbQs5s09R1XOiEWWAKoMGLChoyWTR-UXo%3D9%3DCcHpGLcvg%40mail.gmail.com.

Jacek Radzikowski

Oct 9, 2013, 9:58:53 AM10/9/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I figured that the Os in osmocom_fft appear before the flowgraph is ready to run, so I wasn't much concerned about them when DSP was stopped. However they never stop and from the low frequency of updates of the FFT graph I guess that only a small fraction of samples reaches the processing stages. BTW. I don't see any overruns with rtl or fcd* sources, even with DSP stopped.

j.

Jacek Radzikowski

Oct 30, 2013, 11:16:57 PM10/30/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
New  version from github works fine. It must have been problem with sample rate settings. Here is an image of gqrx receiving samples from bladeRF at 25Msps. 30Msps also works fairly well, with only occasional overruns.

regards,
j.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Alexandru Csete  wrote:
I should perhaps mention that when you start gqrx the gnuradio
flowgraph inside the applciation will not be started until you "Start
DSP" in the menu or the toolbar. However, the rtl-sdr and probably
also the bladerf source will start reading samples from he device
causing an overflow until the DSP processing in gqrx is started.

This has always led to a lots of OOOO when using the rtl-sdr source
but gqrx usually recovers once processing is started. I don't know if
it is the same "feature" that is causing trouble here.

The osmocom_fft application starts processing right away and it
doesn't have this issue.

Alex

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jacek Radzikowski
  wrote:
> I noticed that it takes some time to change center frequency in osmocom_fft,
> but I don't see any overruns.
>
> j.
>

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Brian Padalino wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Jacek Radzikowski
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Gqrx can not catch up with bladeRF even at low sample rates. The
>> > terminal
>> > fills with 'O' characters, FFT window is updated 3-4 times a second (at
>> > refresh rate 25Hz). This happens even when the sample rate is set as low
>> > as
>> > 100kHz. I use gqrx often with rtl dongle and I never saw anything like
>> > that
>> > happening (even with 2.5MHz sample rate). Osmocom_fft works fine at
>> > 20MHz,
>> > throwing just a few 'O's before the application window shows up on the
>> > screen. Gqrx, gr-osmosdr and bladeRF lib are fresh from git.
>>
>> Well that is problematic.  Just curious - are you re-tuning very
>> often, or does this happen just trying to start to view a single
>> center frequency?  There is a bottleneck in the system for re-tuning
>> which will be fixed this weekend.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAEXYVK5R%2BwmXg741kN4LnC90D2iASsU9YnDe6vzEK8gDf0b1HA%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --
> Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier
>
> --

dect6 spectrum.png