will GQRX install and work on a Chromebook running crouton install of Ubuntu ?

Richard Didd

Dec 2, 2014, 11:00:21 AM12/2/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if Gqrx will work on a Chromebook.

I have a HP 11 Chromebook and really like it but since it's an ARM processor I wondered if Gqrx only works on X86 chipsets.

I deliberately chose an ARM based Chromebook since it's silent and no air vents so no heat issues.

Jumping through all of the hoops to install Linux (in developer mode) is not an issue but I don't want to go to all of the effort to find out Gqrx is not supported for ARM cpu's
I am also not sure if these processors have enough power to decode SDR.

Maybe someone has already tried this ?

thanks in advance

Rich

Robin Gape

Dec 2, 2014, 1:03:11 PM12/2/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Google is your friend! There is a version of GNURadio for ARM (see https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/BinaryPackages which mentions Alex's Ubuntu repo as having packages for certain ARM processors). (Then GQRX is built on top of GNURadio infrastructure.)

Alex: does your repo have ARM builds? The repo data doesn't indicate that it does, or perhaps its misleading. The GNURadio website has some information on using ARM processors, but it's not instant gratification stuff: https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Embedded.

The ARM almost certainly has enough power to do SDR work, iff the data-rate is low enough, depending on the filters used by GQRX.

Jolly good luck!

Robin, G8DQX

Richard Didd

Dec 2, 2014, 4:01:41 PM12/2/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well I tried and it didn't work

after installing the crouton script and booting into xfce, I then ran
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/releases
sudo apt-get update
and then attempted to add gqrx.

the message I get is that there is no installation candidate
I can add the repository but not install the software
I guess it's only compiled for X86 cpu

I did have a look at the above link to the ARM compiled stuff but didn't fancy compiling from source.
Looks like I still need an old laptop for something after all. shame