Installing gqrx on Fedora 16

Stuart Mearns

May 15, 2012, 3:26:47 PM5/15/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am trying to get gqrx working on Fedroa 16.  I have GNU Radio installed and QTHID which picks up the Fun Cube when inserted. When I try to run gqrx I get an error saying that it cannot find libboost.  I think that it may be where I have installed gqrx which is /home/stuartm/gqrx.  If this is not correct could you please tell me where I should install and run gqrx from.

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 15, 2012, 4:30:10 PM5/15/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

How did you install GNU Radio (from source or binary?) and which version?
How did you install gqrx, the binary I uploaded or from source?

The readme file lists all the high level dependencies that I know of.

If you use the binaries I provided you may want to wait a week or son
until the final 2.0 is packaged and released.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 16, 2012, 3:43:49 AM5/16/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back.

I installed GNU Radio using Marcus Leech's build script.  I have looked at the script and it appears to support Fedora 16, I did not get any errors at the end of the build, the version installed is 3.6.

GQRX was installed from the downloaded binary from sourceforge, I then extracted it to a folder under my home directory.  When I double click the gqrx icon the system appears to do nothing and I do not see and error message, however when I run ./gqrx from the command line I get the following error "error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.42.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I have checked the libboost library using the locate command and it reports version 1.47.0.

I hope that i have answered your questions and that you may be able to help me.  If it is better to wait for version 2 then so be it.

Cheers

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 16, 2012, 3:18:29 PM5/16/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the problem is that the binaries I provided already include GNU
Radio and it has been linked against a fixed version of boost. This is
an error and I'll try to fix it. You can try to delete the lib
directory that came with the gqrx package but I don't think it'll
work.

If you feel up to it you can try to compile gqrx yourself. Since you
installed GNU Radio using Marcus' script, you should already have all
the dependencies installed. You should however also install qt-creator
to help in the build process.

You can get the v2.0 release candidate code here:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/tree/2.0
Click on the ZIP icon to download a package (you can of course also
get it via git if you know how that works ;-)

Now open the gqrx.pro file with qt-creator, click "Finish" in the
dialog that pops up, then select Build -> Build all. If you are lucky
it'll build, if you are not we have to take it from there.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 16, 2012, 4:00:58 PM5/16/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I understand what you are saying.  I will try deleting to lib directory to see if that helps, if not then I will have ago at building it with qt, and let you know how I get on if thats o.k.  Just to let you know I have got it working with Ubuntu and very well it works too, but I like a challange..:-)

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 16, 2012, 5:03:07 PM5/16/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Having someone try it on Fedora gives valuable feedback because
currently I only have debian and ubuntu computers, so thanks for
trying.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 18, 2012, 1:35:54 PM5/18/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I am willing to have a stab at getting it working on Fedora 16, however my programming is none to smart.  I need to know in your program where it makes the call for the libboost libriaries and whether I can amend this easily.

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 18, 2012, 2:31:24 PM5/18/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Stuart,

You shouldn't need to modify anything! When you compile the source it
will use boost library you have installed on your computer. If you
have been able to compile gnuradio using the build-gnuradio script.
The only dependency gqrx needs in addition to what gnuradio requires
is libpulse-dev.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 18, 2012, 5:00:27 PM5/18/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Ok I understand, Using the script, GNU Radio appears to compile satisfatorily. I can run qthid and it detects the Fun Cube and I assume that this requires GNU Radio to be installed and working.

If this is the case I do not understand why when I  run./gqrx from the command line I get the libboost error.  when I double click the icon in the gqrx folder is appear to do nothing - well it does not report an error on the screen.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 18, 2012, 5:16:30 PM5/18/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Stuart Mearns <scouse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Ok I understand, Using the script, GNU Radio appears to compile
> satisfatorily. I can run qthid and it detects the Fun Cube and I assume that
> this requires GNU Radio to be installed and working.

Actually no, qthid is an independent application. In fact, it is GNU
Radio that uses code from qthid.

> If this is the case I do not understand why when I  run./gqrx from the
> command line I get the libboost error.  when I double click the icon in the
> gqrx folder is appear to do nothing - well it does not report an error on
> the screen.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?

I think you just got a little confused.
The binary package you got from sourceforge was compiled by me on my
computer using libboost 1.42. Your computer has libboost 1.47 and so
it gives you an error.

If you compile gqrx from source on your computer it will be linked to
libboost 1.47 and should therefore work.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 18, 2012, 5:28:44 PM5/18/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

OK, I think I am with you.  I will give it a go, but will probably rebuild my Fedora computer before trying.  I should then download the src,gz file and using qt creator build gqrx from source.  I will let you know how it goes.

Stuart

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 19, 2012, 4:15:36 AM5/19/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I have re built my computer, reinstalled GNU Radio from the script.  I Downloaded the src.gz and extracted it.  I then downloaded and installed the QT SDk to get QT creator.  I loaded the .pro file into QT and pressed the hammer button - I then get an error saying GNU Radio core not found.  GNU Radio is installed in my home dir which also contains the gqrx src folder.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 19, 2012, 10:04:32 AM5/19/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

When I said "install qt-creator" I meant qt-creator only, not the Qt
SDK... You already have Qt SDK installed because of the GNU Radio
build and installing qt-creator should be as simple as finding it in
the package manager. You can try to keep the extra Qt SDK for now, I
don't think they will conflict with each other but I can't promise
that either.

You mention "src.gz" -- I hope you don't mean the snapshot from the
sourceforge site. That's old and you shouldn't waste your time on
that. You should get the 2.0 RC code:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/tree/2.0

If GNU Radio is installed somewhere else that /usr or /usr/local then
it will only be available for applications started on the command
line. Therefore, open a terminal, go to the gqrx source directory and
type "qtcreator gqrx.pro" (without the quotes). If it builds you
should be able to start gqrx either via qt-crerator or from the
command line, but not from file manager (because of the unusual
install location).

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 20, 2012, 2:34:42 PM5/20/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Thanks for the pointers, I will give in ago this week.  I have had a hectic weekend with one thing and another and have not a chance to concentrate fully on this.

Stuart
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/gqrx?hl=en.

Alexandru Csete

May 20, 2012, 3:19:59 PM5/20/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Don't worry about it, I'm in no hurry. It's all up to you if/when you can try.

Alex

>> > --

Stuart Mearns

May 21, 2012, 4:57:58 PM5/21/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Right this is my first attempt after the weekend.  I have followed your instructions and hopefully interpreted them correctly.
I downloaded the files from the link that you provided and unpacked them into a folder in my home directory (/home/csete-gqrx-901205b), I have also used Marcus's script and installed GNURadio (/home/gnuradio) there to.

I change to the dir (/home/csete-gqrx-901205b) were I extracted your files to and when I run qtcreator gqrx.pro (from the command line) it loads the file into it.  I then click the hammer key and get the following in the build issues window "package gnuradio core not found"

Is there something that I have missed.

I also hope that I am not being a pain with this, I could easily give up and revert to ubuntu/debian, but I see it as a challange to get it working on a fedora platform.

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 21, 2012, 5:46:39 PM5/21/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Stuart Mearns <scouse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Right this is my first attempt after the weekend.  I have followed your
> instructions and hopefully interpreted them correctly.
> I downloaded the files from the link that you provided and unpacked them
> into a folder in my home directory (/home/csete-gqrx-901205b), I have also
> used Marcus's script and installed GNURadio (/home/gnuradio) there to.

Sorry Stuart, but this is very wrong! You don't install stuff directly
under /home - that place is only used to put users' home directories
and only root can write there. So you must have been root when you
put gqrx there, right? Why? You don't normally work as root except
when you install something system wide or you do system
administration.

You should always work inside your own "home" directory. If your user
name is stuart, then your home directory is /home/stuart/

> I change to the dir (/home/csete-gqrx-901205b) were I extracted your files
> to and when I run qtcreator gqrx.pro (from the command line) it loads the
> file into it.  I then click the hammer key and get the following in the
> build issues window "package gnuradio core not found"
>
> Is there something that I have missed.

I'm guessing that don't have a working GNU Radio installation, either
because you don't have permission to read /home/gnuradio or the
environment (PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ...) is not set up
after the installation. Can your execute gnuradio-companion without
errors?

I have no idea how the script works so I can only recommend that you
remove /home/gnuradio and reinstall using default parameters - it will
then probably install in /usr/local which is a good place. Otherwise
you should consult the gnu radio list or Marcus about how the script
works.

> I also hope that I am not being a pain with this, I could easily give up and
> revert to ubuntu/debian, but I see it as a challange to get it working on a
> fedora platform.

You are not a pain but you should consider studying some user level
documentation to understand the basic things with users,
administrators and where stuff is installed (Fedora project probably
has such documentation). Otherwise you will have a hard time trying to
build things yourself and understandings what's going on.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 22, 2012, 2:45:54 AM5/22/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Yep I understand what you are saying, I don't know why I did that, blind panic I suppose,  I will correct it later and have another go.

Stuart

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 24, 2012, 12:52:19 PM5/24/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Alex,

I have recently finished and 5 day course on bash programming - but you would not think so would you....

It would appear that the installation script will install the software where ever you run it from.  I have created a bin dir and installed gnuradio there.  I
have added the gnuradio dir to my path and I can run the udh_fft package from the command line, I do not have a USRp device so it obviously fails.

I downloaded you lastest code from the 2.0 branch from git and unzipped it to its own  dir under (/stuartm/bin/gqrx) I run qtcreator gqrx.pro on the command line after cding to the gqrx dir I created.  Qt creator brings up the gui and i can see it parsing into creator.  I then press the hammer icon to build the application but it comes up with a build error of ":-1: error: Package gnuradio-core not found"

grateful for any pointers

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 24, 2012, 4:15:06 PM5/24/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Stuart,

The build-gnuradio script I am talking about:
http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio

As far as I can see it installs everything under /usr/local/

If you install anywhere else you will also have to update
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

When you can execute the following command:

pkg-config --modversion gnuradio-core

without any errors, then you have a GNU Radio installtion you can use
to build gqrx. Another good check to see if GNU Radio is working is
that you can execute gnuradio-companion without any errors.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 29, 2012, 2:12:04 PM5/29/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

thats great many thanks.
O.K. I seem to have made some progress. I did use the script that you pointed out the link too, and in fact it has installed to /usr/local.

As you suggested after installing, I ran the command

"pkg-config --modversion gnuradio-core" and it returned "3.6.1git"

I then ran "gnuradio-companion" and it brought up and gui interface - I assume that this is correct- and that this is were the functions for an sdr are programmed.

I then download the latest gqrx branch from git, unpacked it to a folder, I then cd'd into the folder and ran qtcreator gqrx.pro - I got a screen that prompted me to press finish, this then parsed into qt creator, then press the hammer icon to build the project, at first I got an error "gnuradio-core not found", I adjusted the pkg_config_path to (echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:) point to the dir where gnuradio-core.pc is located re-ran qt creator, tried to build again only this time I got an error "libpulse" not found.

Using the locate command libpulse is in /use/lib/, /usr/lib is also on my path.

Some progress I hope. :-)

Grateful for any pointers as to what would be causing this error.

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 29, 2012, 5:27:15 PM5/29/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Yes, that's progress :-)
I admit, I have no idea what "echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:" means but if it
works for you it's fine with me...

As for the libpulse error, we are back at following the readme file ;-)
You need to install the pulseaudio development package - as far as I
can tell from a web search, it is called pulseaudio-libs-devel:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/pulseaudio-libs-devel - it
should be available via the package manager.

What do you mean by "latest gqrx branch"? Branches are more or less
static and you should use the latest code from the 2.0 branch:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/tree/2.0
By the way, it has been updated few days ago and you will also need
the libudev-devel package (replaces the libusb dependency).

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 31, 2012, 4:13:04 PM5/31/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I believe we are making further progress.

I have updated the libraries as you suggested and tried to build gqrx again.

Qt Creator now reports the following build issues

1. :-1: error: pa_sink.o: undefined reference to symbol 'clock_gettime@@GLIBC_2.2'
2. :-1: error: note: 'clock_gettime@@GLIBC_2.2' is defined in DSO /lib/librt.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
3.  /lib/librt.so.1:-1: error: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
4. :-1: error: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I hope that you may be able to shed a little light on this.  I assume that this is now where the going may get a little tough with using Fedora 16

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 31, 2012, 4:32:19 PM5/31/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Open gqrx.pro and change line 143 from:

LIBS += -ludev

LIBS += -ludev -lrt

Then try building again (you may need to do a clean all first).

I have no idea why librt.so is linked automatically on other systems
but not on Fedora.

Alex

Stuart Mearns

May 31, 2012, 5:08:18 PM5/31/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Success.......I can run the program from qt creator and I get the GUI.

I did have a number of warnings come up the first time I ran it (234) but these seem to have gone.

I have created the fcd.rules file.  I will now have a go at connecting the FCD and aerial to see whether I can decode some signals.

My NOAA QFH, is a little low and I only get a decent signal if a bird  passed virtually overhead.

Very many thanks for all your assistance, it has been a good learning experience for me, sorry if sometimes I did not get the whole picture.

If there is anything more to do with getting the program stable with F16 then I am happy to help out.

I suppose now I should press the hammer icon and build the project for real, I assume that this should give me an icon that I can just click on to run the program.

Regards and Once again Thanks

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

May 31, 2012, 5:16:47 PM5/31/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Stuart :-)

Yes, there are many warnings most of them coming from GNU Radio files
(same problem repeating many times).

I'm very confused when you say that now you have to connect the FCD...
The 2.0 branch of gqrx should come up with an error message if you do
not have the FCD connected! So I don't understand what GUI you are
seeing without the FCD connected. Are you sure you used the right
branch?

In Qt creator if you go to Tools -> Git -> Status it should print "On
branch 2.0"

Alex

Stuart Mearns

Jun 4, 2012, 12:44:33 PM6/4/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Sorry, I seem to be confusing you sometimes.

Just to recap.  I have reinstalled Fedora 16 and downloaded and installed the additional files as per you emails.
I then downloaded and installed GNUradio from the script, got that working by adding the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to my bash_profile.  this allowed my to run gnuradio companion successfully.
I then downloaded the lastest version of gqrx from your git link you provided.  This I did by creating as zip of all the files in the 2.0 branch folder (hope i did the right thing).  I than extracted the contents
to a folder in my download area.
I then ran qt creator from that folder (after changing line 143 as directed) and hit the build icon.  I attached the FCD and created the udev file.  I then pressed the run button in qt and up came the gqrx front end.
I then built the project with the build icon and I can run gqrx from the result.  You are also correct, with no fcd connected the program produces an error saying no FCD found.

Does all that sound correct?  Is there anything I have missed or need to do to conclude that gqrx now works on Fedora 16.

Regards

Stuart

Alexandru Csete

Jun 4, 2012, 2:40:53 PM6/4/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Stuart Mearns <scouse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Sorry, I seem to be confusing you sometimes.
>
> Just to recap.  I have reinstalled Fedora 16 and downloaded and installed
> the additional files as per you emails.
> I then downloaded and installed GNUradio from the script, got that working
> by adding the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to my bash_profile.  this allowed my
> to run gnuradio companion successfully.
> I then downloaded the lastest version of gqrx from your git link you
> provided.  This I did by creating as zip of all the files in the 2.0 branch
> folder (hope i did the right thing).  I than extracted the contents
> to a folder in my download area.
> I then ran qt creator from that folder (after changing line 143 as directed)
> and hit the build icon.  I attached the FCD and created the udev file.  I
> then pressed the run button in qt and up came the gqrx front end.
> I then built the project with the build icon and I can run gqrx from the
> result.  You are also correct, with no fcd connected the program produces an
> error saying no FCD found.
>
> Does all that sound correct?  Is there anything I have missed or need to do
> to conclude that gqrx now works on Fedora 16.

Yep, that sounds right :-)

Alex

Stuart Mearns

Jun 4, 2012, 2:51:23 PM6/4/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

O.K. Fine Thanks for all your help, I will now be able to enjoy using it to decode NOAA signals.

Also as a bonus. I also have is running on F17, I modified the install script and gave it a go.  Runs fine.

Stuart

Alex

Brad Hein

Sep 16, 2012, 5:29:31 PM9/16/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Thanks guys -

I've been following this thread, using the information to get GQRX working on Fedora 17. I have an RTL2832U (device ID 0bda:2838).

*** Is the RTL2832U supported by the 2.0 branch? As far as I can tell it's not (tells me no FCD is plugged in when I run it).

At any rate, a summary of the steps getting to this point with the 2.0 branch (in Fedora 17 with gnuradio already built from source using the Marcus Leech build script) are:

  1. Download and unzip the latest 2.0 branch zip file
  2. # yum install qt-creator pulseaudio-libs-devel libudev-devel
  3. Fixup gqrx.pro file: $ perl -i -pne 's/LIBS \+= -lrt/LIBS \+= -udev -lrt/g'|grep LIBS gqrx.pro
  4. gqrx.pro with QT-creator, build all, run.

Alexandru Csete

Sep 18, 2012, 4:59:13 PM9/18/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Version 2.0 only support funcube dongle.
Alex
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqrx/-/ktk3cqGCr_0J.

Message has been deleted

Stuart Mearns

Nov 23, 2012, 4:20:57 PM11/23/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If I am understanding your question, you are asking me what changes I made to the script to get GNU radio to install on fedora 17.

If that is the case, you need to look for the line in the script that tests for the version of Fedora and add 17 in then rerun the script.

Regards

Stuart

I beleive the current Marcus Leech script tests for F17 so if you are using the latest one you should be OK

On 23 November 2012 20:52, Amogh Desai <desai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Stuart,

me too running fedora 17 and getting an error on qtcreator ":-1: error: Package gnuradio-core not found"

could you tell me what chages have u dont to the markus leech's script ??

Regards
Amogh
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqrx/-/Tr-cEc42tr0J.

Amogh Desai

Nov 23, 2012, 11:05:28 PM11/23/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Oh,

I ran the latest scripit.  but gqrx still gives me an error "Package gnuradio-core not found"

I have set the paths for LD_LIBRARY, PYTHON and pkgconfig multiple times and they seem to disappear after running qtcreator gqrx.pro.  how can I permanently set these paths ??

Regards
Amogh

Regards,
Amogh Desai