Using gqrx with Virtual pulseaudio source?

swirlingabyss

Nov 26, 2013, 3:59:05 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I'm using gqrx because I have a funcube dongle pro+, and it seems to the be the only thing that can hand it without lots of gyrations. I want to be able to pipe the audio out from gqrx to other applications. I know gqrx uses pulseaudio, so I tried making a virtual pulseaudio source and sink, but whenever I try to use the virtual source as gqrx's output, it looks like it starts to work for about half a second before freezing entirely. Anyone know how to get this to work, or another way to pipe audio?

swirlingabyss

Nov 26, 2013, 3:59:53 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention I'm using linux mint 16

Darren Long

Nov 26, 2013, 4:06:32 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I put a few notes on my blog:

http://www.g0hww.net/2013/11/using-null-sinks-with-pulseaudio.html

I just let gqrx output to the default output in its configuration, then
use Pulse Audio Volume Controller to reassign it the null sink. I can
then set, for example multimon-ng, to listen to the monitor of the
null-sink (on the Recording tab of pavucontrol) and set up a loopback
monitor to my default output (on the Playback tab of pavucontrol).

This lets me control the audio levels fed to each audio 'decoder' and
the level coming out of my speakers independently :)

I'll add more of these words to my blog now!

Cheers,

Darren, G0HWW

swirlingabyss

Nov 26, 2013, 4:11:42 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Wow. What a quick reply. I have to run, but as soon as I get home, I'll check it out and get back to you.

Simon Kennedy

Nov 26, 2013, 4:25:33 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
...and if Darren's blog doesn't give you the answer I used the following site to enable me to do it: http://www.kirsle.net/blog/kirsle/redirect-audio-out-to-mic-in--linux-

Simon
G0FCU.

swirlingabyss

Nov 26, 2013, 7:52:00 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well, It seems to be working fine. Now I just need to figure out how to get pdw working with wine as everything around here is flex.

swirlingabyss

Nov 26, 2013, 10:40:04 PM11/26/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I don't mean to keep bumping this, but I just wanted to say thanks again! I knew it had to be a simple little trick in pulseaudio. I had been pulling my hair most of the day trying to find a solution. Then I had to beat wine/pdw into submission. I'm decoding flex pages right now!

Thanks again!

Alexandru Csete

Nov 27, 2013, 11:39:16 AM11/27/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

No problem with bumping the thread - it is important for us to get
feedback about a proposed solution.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/e01c39cf-0315-4ed6-a370-04abc86dae82%40googlegroups.com.

Alexandru Csete

Nov 28, 2013, 10:17:55 AM11/28/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Darren Long <darre...@mac.com> wrote:
> I put a few notes on my blog:
>
> http://www.g0hww.net/2013/11/using-null-sinks-with-pulseaudio.html
>
> I just let gqrx output to the default output in its configuration, then
> use Pulse Audio Volume Controller to reassign it the null sink. I can
> then set, for example multimon-ng, to listen to the monitor of the
> null-sink (on the Recording tab of pavucontrol) and set up a loopback
> monitor to my default output (on the Playback tab of pavucontrol).
>
> This lets me control the audio levels fed to each audio 'decoder' and
> the level coming out of my speakers independently :)

I have been wondering if it would be of any advantage if I added an
extra audio output to gqrx, but your example suggests that it is not
necessary. Anyway, now we also have the UDP streaming option and that
also counts as an extra output :)

Alex