New user introduction

Ton Machielsen

Aug 24, 2014, 2:48:39 PM8/24/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

New user here. Just installed gqrx and gnuradio over MacPorts. All working. Great job! Using an RTL adapter here with R820 tuner.

Now, let's learn gnuradio!!

Have fun!

Ton.

Alexandru Csete

Aug 24, 2014, 3:04:37 PM8/24/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ton,

Welcome to the group and to SDR.
Michael Ossman who is the creator of HackRF has just started a new
series of GNU Radio tutorial that might be useful for learning. He
just posted the first session here:
http://greatscottgadgets.com/sdr/

Alex

Michael Dickens

Aug 24, 2014, 8:49:35 PM8/24/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ton - Thanks for the feedback that Gqrx and GNU Radio via MacPorts worked for you; that's the goal! I'm the MacPorts maintainer for those projects (and, also a GNU Radio developer), so if you have any issues ping me here or at MacPorts or the GNU Radio list. Have fun learning about SDR via these awesome programs. - MLD

Ton Machielsen

Aug 25, 2014, 3:24:19 AM8/25/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Michael is who got me into gnu radio. Have done his first lesson and am now reading and reading and trying and trying. Love it! Specially because i got it all working on the Mac which is normally not an easy thing to do. VMWare usually is my friend, but having it straight on the Mac is a huge advantage.

gorgeous george

Sep 5, 2014, 12:41:11 PM9/5/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
well how did you do it?how did you get macport?what does it do?how does it make the sdr dongle work?how do you make the software work?how??how/how?i know its fun to make something work,,but if you want to share with others,please explain how you did it,,thats something i learned about these posts,,no one ever tell how they did it,,explanations are hard to come by.maybe its the american culture of i got mine,screw everyone else.,,oh well,,im happy you got your sdr to work on mac.

Mike Jameson

Sep 5, 2014, 12:49:52 PM9/5/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
See this page for how to get GNU Radio installed on a Mac with macports:
Mike

--
Mike Jameson M0MIK BSc MIET
Email: mi...@scanoo.com

Ton Machielsen

Sep 6, 2014, 1:46:06 AM9/6/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Sorry man, but no american here.

Who about getting MacPorts installed on your Mac as described here: https://www.macports.org/install.php

And then it’s a simple “sudo port install gqrx” “sudo port install gnu radio” “sudo port install rtlsdr” and “sudo port gr-osmocom”

Sorry for not explaining that earlier.

Ton.