Bug Report - Sound bug on AM when squelsh is activated

Benoittt

Jul 19, 2012, 4:36:46 AM7/19/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello

When i'm using the dongle on AM to listen aerian and I set up the squelsh, I can heard a very bad sound, like speaker turn on/turn off , tac tac tac tactac.

Normaly i'm using AGC, i've tried to desactivate it but it changes nothing.

I'm on a Debian Squeeze on a Lenovo X61.

Some peope encounter the same issue?

Jasper Ragworth

Jul 19, 2012, 7:36:54 AM7/19/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Benoittt

Jul 19, 2012, 9:02:11 AM7/19/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I will follow the instructions.

Alexandru Csete

Jul 20, 2012, 5:58:10 AM7/20/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It could be that the squelch is not good for AM. It was created and
tuned using FM and the Funcube Dongle at 96 ksps. Which dongle are you
using?

I will not have time to look at it for the next 10 days or so. If
anyone wants to try, there is a time constant parameter currently hard
coded to 0.001:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/blob/master/receivers/nbrx.cpp#L43
Other values may give better results.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqrx/-/LuDDwsNtLLkJ.

Darren Long

Jul 20, 2012, 10:39:34 AM7/20/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've found that I need to set the audio level for AM to about 6dB lower
than I do for SSB.

For example, if have the squelch on lowest setting (fully open) and I
need an audio gain of +6dB to comfortably listen to an SSB signal on
40m, then I need 0dB audio gain for AM broadcast. At +3dB audio gain,
the AM broadcast station is distorted, and at +6dB, there is no audio
output.

I've had related confusion with AM receivers in gnuradio itself, but I
never figured out what audio gain range was appropriate for AM until I
found the sweet spot in gqrx.

The squelch seems to operate OK on AM for me.

Cheers,

Darren, G0HWW