ockhams...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2013, 8:05:44 PM12/24/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

This is most likely a question you have answered before and if so please excuse me but I am more at home with bits of silicon with legs than things like void().

At the moment I an running gqrx with great success on an Odroid U2 Arm quad core board, ubuntu 12.04, HamItUp down converter and a couple of LNAs  etc, and I am thinking of creating a stand alone radio for HF, VHF, UHF using the above configuration with the addition of a 7 inch touch screen and naturally a suitable biscuit tin. :). I also use a AOR-AR 8600 RX which works with grig and hamlib so I would like to incorporate this into the proposed system. Now for the question - once gr-controlport is implemented will it be possible to automatically transfer the rhe gqrx frequency and mode to hamlib ? In other words using gqrx as a super pan adapter. There are a couple of other things I have in mind like, when the user selects demod-off this is ignored and not sent to hamlib this would allow gqrx to be run on very minimal hardware configurations in conjunction with an  external RX.
Anyway that's enough for now. Any comments will be appreciated.

Kind regards and thanks for the great work,
Ockhams Barber

BTW have you seen http://www.rtl-sdr.com/airspy-new-12bit-20msps-sdr-dongle-prototype-author-sdrsharp/. Would really make the above unit a useful toy.

Alexandru Csete

Dec 25, 2013, 8:54:59 AM12/25/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM, <ockhams...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> This is most likely a question you have answered before and if so please
> excuse me but I am more at home with bits of silicon with legs than things
> like void().
>
> At the moment I an running gqrx with great success on an Odroid U2 Arm quad
> core board, ubuntu 12.04, HamItUp down converter and a couple of LNAs etc,
> and I am thinking of creating a stand alone radio for HF, VHF, UHF using the
> above configuration with the addition of a 7 inch touch screen and naturally
> a suitable biscuit tin. :). I also use a AOR-AR 8600 RX which works with
> grig and hamlib so I would like to incorporate this into the proposed
> system. Now for the question - once gr-controlport is implemented will it be
> possible to automatically transfer the rhe gqrx frequency and mode to hamlib?

Theoretically yes, but I have more or less abandoned the idea of using
gr-controlport for remote control capabilities. Currently, there is an
experimental TCP control interface that may or may not suit your
needs:
http://gqrx.dk/doc/remote-control

> In other words using gqrx as a super pan adapter. There are a couple of
> other things I have in mind like, when the user selects demod-off this is
> ignored and not sent to hamlib this would allow gqrx to be run on very
> minimal hardware configurations in conjunction with an external RX.
> Anyway that's enough for now. Any comments will be appreciated.

Assuming that minimal hardware means some widely available ARM-based
device, I think the idea of running gqrx on such device is
conceptually wrong. But if it works for people, then fine with me :)

Alex
Message has been deleted

ockhams...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2013, 3:55:21 AM12/27/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the quick response.

>Currently, there is an
>experimental TCP control interface that may or may not suit your
>needs:
>http://gqrx.dk/doc/remote-control

Yes I have looked at the TCP interface but for me it has the draw back of introducing at least on more computer or at least another client process.. The ar8600's interface is rs232 so I would have to output the data from GQRX on the TCP port then use a client or another processor board to take that data and spit it out an RS232 port, but I will continue to tinker and see what I come up with.

>Assuming that minimal hardware means some widely available ARM-based
>device, I think the idea of running gqrx on such device is
>conceptually wrong. But if it works for people, then fine with me :)

No actually I was thinking of an ASUS T91. It is a little 8 inch touch screen netbook that I bought a couple of years ago. A sweet little PC but with an intel atom at 1.3 GHz it is no powerhouse and certainly can't demodulate any signals, But if I can get the frequency and mode from GQRX over to the AR8600 using hamlib it would become a very useful toy.

Anyway as I said thanks for the prompt reply and thanks for all your great work.

Kind Regards
Ockhams Barber