GQRX and Raspberry Pi 4B.

Tony Volpe

Dec 31, 2019, 2:03:22 PM12/31/19
to Gqrx SDR
I know that GQRX doesn't work fully on Raspberry Pi, but I wanted to try it on my WSPR receiver using  a Funcube Pro Plus dongle an wsjt-x to decode the signals.

It receives well enough when set up on a single frequency, so I can use it for wspr.....

But....

The program crashes and locks up if I ever try to change frequency or LNA / Mixer gain while dsp is happening. I have to stop dsp, and then make any changes, then re-start, or the program locks up. Oddly enough, it still keeps on receiving, but the waterfall stops and all menus stop responding.

Also, when it starts up it seems to have massive gain - far too much whatever the LNA and mixer gain sliders are set at. The waterfall is entirely yellow and orange rather than some shade of blue. The base noise level is around -60db rather than the -100db that I usually work it at on other hardware. I have to start the dsp, then stop it, and then move the sliders. Paradoxically, even if I slide them higher, the gain decreases after the adjustment.

I did of course run the volk profile tool before using it.

It would be really great if there was some further development so it would run well on a RaspberryPi. I can run it on a feeble old netbook from about 2005 with an Atom N280 processor, but the processor is running at close to 90%. The Raspberry in comparison is down at around 25% running gqrx and wsjt-x.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

G0BZB - Tony

Alexandru Csete

Jan 1, 2020, 11:35:20 AM1/1/20
to Gqrx
Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear you are having problems, the funcube dongles used to
work relatively well on the RPI3 when I built the packages some years
ago, but I guess USB audio is a recurring issue on the RPI.

I'm working on a replacement for gqrx and I will not spend any more
time on gqrx. Trust me, it's better this way in the long run.

Alex

Tony Volpe

Jan 2, 2020, 3:58:23 AM1/2/20
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks for your answer and good luck with your new projects. Your work is very much appreciated.

73s
de G0BZB
op Tony