Gqrx, Ubuntu 14.04, FCD control

Simon Kennedy

Apr 24, 2014, 5:03:51 PM4/24/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Permit me one more question please....I have the rtl stick and Funcube Dongle working now but the frequency control does not work with the FCD.

Is qthid or the udev rules still required?

Simon.

Alexandru Csete

Apr 24, 2014, 5:13:49 PM4/24/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the udev rule is required to permit regular users to access
devices. Without it only the superuser can access the device. Audio
devices are already configured which is why you get data from the FCD
but can not set the frequency - they are two separate devices.

Alex

Simon Kennedy

Apr 26, 2014, 5:25:09 AM4/26/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Yes, the udev rule is required  to permit regular users to access
devices. Without it only the superuser can access the device. Audio
devices are already configured which is why you get data from the FCD
but can not set the frequency - they are two separate devices.

Alex

The gnuradio install automatically puts the rules entry into  /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libgnuradio-fcd3.7.2.1.rules, however the group that a non-super user needs to be in to take advantage of these rules is 'usrp'. (nb. A rules entry in /etc/udev/rules.d will only override the gnuradio rule if the file name starts with a number higher than 40.)

Unfortunately, having worked out this little issue I now get audio overflow (aO) errors when I run gqrx (or the gnuradio sample flow graph).

If anyone has got a FunCube Dongle working with Ubuntu 14.04 please let me know so I can determine if this is a problem with my install or a wider issue related to the new version of Ubuntu. Looking back in the archives of this group I see that I had the same problem when upgrading to 11.x)

Simon.

Alexandru Csete

Apr 28, 2014, 3:39:17 PM4/28/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Simon Kennedy <simonh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, the udev rule is required to permit regular users to access
>> devices. Without it only the superuser can access the device. Audio
>> devices are already configured which is why you get data from the FCD
>> but can not set the frequency - they are two separate devices.
>>
>> Alex
>
> The gnuradio install automatically puts the rules entry into
> /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libgnuradio-fcd3.7.2.1.rules, however the group that a
> non-super user needs to be in to take advantage of these rules is 'usrp'.
> (nb. A rules entry in /etc/udev/rules.d will only override the gnuradio rule
> if the file name starts with a number higher than 40.)

Well, I could have told you that, but you only asked whether the udev
rules are still necessary without any reference to the binary packages
;-)

> Unfortunately, having worked out this little issue I now get audio overflow
> (aO) errors when I run gqrx (or the gnuradio sample flow graph).
>
> If anyone has got a FunCube Dongle working with Ubuntu 14.04 please let me
> know so I can determine if this is a problem with my install or a wider
> issue related to the new version of Ubuntu. Looking back in the archives of
> this group I see that I had the same problem when upgrading to 11.x)

I have got the funcube dongle working under Ubuntu 14.04 though not
with gnuradio or gqrx.
From your mail I'm guessing you are trying to use the gqrx package
that is included in official Ubuntu, right? (why not write it???)
Anyway, the error makes me to suspect the "no enough bandwidth" issue
that we have been seeing with the Funcube Dongle Pro+, see
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/91

After the AoAo's you should be able to see "not enough bandwidth"
messages appear in syslog (in a terminal type: dmesg).

Alex

Simon Kennedy

Apr 28, 2014, 4:11:41 PM4/28/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Well, I could have told you that, but you only asked whether the udev
rules are still necessary without any reference to the binary packages
;-)

I hang my head in shame. I am an IT consultant and moan when my customers do not explain their problems well :-)

I have got the funcube dongle working under Ubuntu 14.04 though not
with gnuradio or gqrx.
From your mail I'm guessing you are trying to use the gqrx package
that is included in official Ubuntu, right? (why not write it???)
Anyway, the error makes me to suspect the "no enough bandwidth" issue
that we have been seeing with the Funcube Dongle Pro+, see
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/91

After the AoAo's you should be able to see "not enough bandwidth"
messages appear in syslog (in a terminal type: dmesg).

I am running gqrx installed via the pybombs gqrx method with a FunCube Dongle Pro (not +). Trying different USB ports and I have found one that works.

Problem solved. Thank you, as always.

Simon.

Alexandru Csete

Apr 28, 2014, 6:03:41 PM4/28/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Simon Kennedy <si...@thekennedys.info> wrote:

> I am running gqrx installed via the pybombs gqrx method with a FunCube
> Dongle Pro (not +). Trying different USB ports and I have found one that
> works.

Ok, that's good to know. I wish I had time to to look into the problem
in details and understand what the heck is going on; maybe later.

Alex