Beginner stuck with GQRX installation

Robert Adlington

Dec 28, 2012, 5:30:04 PM12/28/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am sorry if I am asking dumb questions.

I ordered a TV/radio dongle USB receiver via eBay (one of the cheap ones) so I can try software defined radio. I decided to attempt the necessary downloads and installations on my PC (I am running Ubuntu 12.10, but my level of knowledge for Ubuntu and Linux is a novice). I followed the following link for the appropriate information:

I followed all the steps for Gnu Radio and as far as I am aware I did it correctly.

I then went on to GQRX and downloaded gqrx-1.9.237-src which contains GQRX.PRO - I then opened up QT creator, Open File or Project and I navigated to GQRX.Pro.  I followed the further steps in the instructions and I now have a folder entitled GQRX-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_3_in_PATH__System__Release  Inside that folder there are 11 files ending in .h

Could someone please let me know if I did this correctly and if it is correct, how do I carry out the next stage: - or advise me where I went wrong earlier.

 "In this directory you will find the “gqrx” binary which you can run to start the program".

Many thanks,

Bob.
M0BOB.

Alexandru Csete

Dec 28, 2012, 6:13:31 PM12/28/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

What you did sounds right, you just need to complete the process.
After you open gqrx.pro in Qt creator you need to compile the
application: In the menu bar selec Build -> Build project gqrx

This should build everything or give some errors. If build is
successful you can run gqrx from within qt creator using the green
arrow (or build -> run). After that you can also run it outside qt
creator, the executable called gqrx should be in the directory you
mention. I hope this helps.

Alex

Jim Bradley

Dec 28, 2012, 11:15:11 PM12/28/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I'm suprised that Alexandru Csete didn't mention it, because he mentions it on his page that the 2.1 generation added support for the RTL2832U-based DVB-T dongles, so you probably need the 2.1.148 source rather than the 1.9.237 source.

It is available on sourceforge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gqrx/files/2.1.148/

Robert Adlington

Dec 29, 2012, 3:37:43 AM12/29/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim and Alex,

Thanks for replying to my question in the forum.

I downloaded gqrx-2.1.148-src.zip and extracted it. I opened QT Creator and "built" it. I now have a folder entitled gqrx-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_3_in_PATH__System__Release  I opened the folder up and there are 85 files. I believe the one that I need to use is gqrx (lilac colour). I am not sure where I go from here and would appreciate some help.

Many thanks.

Bob.

73/Best wishes,

Bob Adlington.

On 29 December 2012 04:15, Jim Bradley <jebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm suprised that Alexandru Csete didn't mention it, because he mentions it on his page that the 2.1 generation added support for the RTL2832U-based DVB-T dongles, so you probably need the 2.1.148 source rather than the 1.9.237 source.

It is available on sourceforge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gqrx/files/2.1.148/

Alexandru Csete

Dec 29, 2012, 4:14:25 AM12/29/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Haha, I missed that!
Alex

Alexandru Csete

Dec 29, 2012, 4:17:54 AM12/29/12
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the file called gqrx is the executable. You can run it by double
clicking on it - a dialog will pop up asking for the device
configuration. If you have you dongle plugged in (before you start
gqrx) it should automatically detect it and show it in the dialog. You
can then click OK and the application will start. To start the actual
processing, click the little power button in the top left corner.

Alex

Gaurang Naik

Jan 17, 2013, 9:59:07 AM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I have been trying to use a similar DVB-T dongle with gqrx... I am facing problem while building gqrx.pro in qtcreator. I read above that any number of warnings are fine. However, I am getting the following error ‘MiddleButton’ is not a member of ‘Qt’. and hence, the build process is not moving forward. What should I do?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Gaurang

Alexandru Csete

Jan 17, 2013, 10:41:33 AM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Gaurang Naik <gauran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to use a similar DVB-T dongle with gqrx... I am facing
> problem while building gqrx.pro in qtcreator. I read above that any number
> of warnings are fine. However, I am getting the following error
> ‘MiddleButton’ is not a member of ‘Qt’. and hence, the build process is not
> moving forward. What should I do?

Hi Gaurang,

Sounds like the same problem as discussed here:
http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/gnu-radio/gqrx-sdr#comment-740774299

I never got feedback for the proposed solution but I have now
committed a change that I think fixes your problem. Please do a fresh
checkout and try to build again. Let me know how it goes.

Alex

Gaurang Naik

Jan 17, 2013, 11:02:15 AM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,

Thanx a lot for such a quick response! and thnx for the solution. It did work.

But now I have a new problem. The build process completes but as mentioned in the above comments NO directory by the name 'gqrx-build-desktop; appeared... when I click on Build->Run, nothing happens...
This is what i get in the compile output window

Starting: /usr/bin/make -w

make: Entering directory `/home/gaurangnaik/Downloads/gqrx-2.1.148-src'

make: Nothing to be done for `first'.

make: Leaving directory `/home/gaurangnaik/Downloads/gqrx-2.1.148-src'

Exited with code 0.

/could it mean my dongle isn't working properly? or something else? Any solution possible?

Gaurang

Alexandru Csete

Jan 17, 2013, 11:19:14 AM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Gaurang Naik <gauran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> Thanx a lot for such a quick response! and thnx for the solution. It did
> work.
>
> But now I have a new problem. The build process completes but as mentioned
> in the above comments NO directory by the name 'gqrx-build-desktop;
> appeared... when I click on Build->Run, nothing happens...
> This is what i get in the compile output window
>
> Starting: /usr/bin/make -w
>
> make: Entering directory `/home/gaurangnaik/Downloads/gqrx-2.1.148-src'
>
> make: Nothing to be done for `first'.
>
> make: Leaving directory `/home/gaurangnaik/Downloads/gqrx-2.1.148-src'
>
> Exited with code 0.
>
> /could it mean my dongle isn't working properly? or something else? Any
> solution possible?

I think you are mixing things together here... 2.1.148 is a snapshot
release that I have packaged few weeks ago. I don't think you have
actually rebuilt the souce because in that case gqrx would come up
with a device configuration window.

To get my fix you must check out the source code from the git
repository. If you have git installed this should work in a terminal:

cd ~/Downloads
git clone git://github.com/csete/gqrx.git gqrx.git
cd gqrx.git
mkdir build
cd build
qmake ../gqrx.pro
make

it you get through without errors you have a gqrx binary in there that
you can execute (type ./gqrx in the terminal or from the file
manager).

Alex

Gaurang Naik

Jan 17, 2013, 12:14:48 PM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alex,

Thnx for the response...

qmake ../gqrx.pro is giving an error... (I am a beginner at linux so my queries coild be annoying... pls pardon me)
/usr/bin/rcc: File does not exist '../icons.qrc'

I tried building the gqrx.pro using qtcreator and that succeeded. A binary file gqrx does get created. But when i execute the file using ./gqrx, it stops at gr-osmosdr supported device types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd

I do not what to do next

Gaurang

Alexandru Csete

Jan 17, 2013, 4:17:50 PM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Gaurang Naik <gauran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Alex,
>
> Thnx for the response...
>
> qmake ../gqrx.pro is giving an error... (I am a beginner at linux so my
> queries coild be annoying... pls pardon me)
> /usr/bin/rcc: File does not exist '../icons.qrc'
>
> I tried building the gqrx.pro using qtcreator and that succeeded. A binary
> file gqrx does get created. But when i execute the file using ./gqrx, it
> stops at gr-osmosdr supported device types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd

Well, I have no idea what could be wrong. Is your device working
properly, i.e. does rtl_test work?

Alex

Simon Kennedy

Jan 17, 2013, 4:20:25 PM1/17/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I think I had a similar problem last night. Alex's README file says to delete the files in ~/.config/gqrx. I also unplugged and plugged back in the FunCube Dongle.

gqrx then ran as expected.

Simon.

Simon Kennedy
M 07973-214139