Cannot install on ubuntu 14.04

Bob Mounger

Mar 4, 2015, 7:01:02 PM3/4/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Greetings, I tried to install gqrx-sdr & got the errors below. I then tried to install the packages it was complaining about one by one & got no errors. What am I doing wrong?

I tried this once with pre release on & off in the software center with the same results.

Thanks, Bob AF5UP

>sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 libcheese-gtk23 : Depends: libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 (>= 0.91.8) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
 libcheese7 : Depends: libclutter-gst-2.0-0 (>= 0.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: gstreamer1.0-clutter but it is not going to be installed
 libclutter-1.0-0 : Depends: libcogl-pango15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
>sudo apt-get install libcheese-gtk23
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libcheese-gtk23 is already the newest version.
>sudo apt-get install libcheese7
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libcheese7 is already the newest version.
>sudo apt-get install libclutter-1.0-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libclutter-1.0-0 is already the newest version.

Dominic Uliano

Mar 4, 2015, 8:37:36 PM3/4/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue.  I read somewhere that there is an issue with the libraries.  However, I applied as many of the libraries as I could and then used QT Creator and built it from source and I finally got it to work.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 5, 2015, 7:33:56 AM3/5/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

The packages listed in the message have nothing to do with gqrx.
Something else is broken on your system. You can try to resolve the
errors using the "fix broken packages" function in apt.

Btw. why are you using the command line? It seems to me that a menu
based GUI like synaptics would be easier for you.

Also remember to "update" the package databse once a week.

Also, you may consider using our PPA to get a newer version of gqrx
(but not until you have resolved the errors)

PS: When I get broken dependency errors on a debian-based system I
normally remove packages until there are no more errors, then install
again.

Alex

Dominic Uliano

Mar 5, 2015, 11:29:11 AM3/5/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alexandru, I think the gqrx package has dependencies on one or more of these libraries:

         libcheese-gtk23 : Depends: libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 (>= 0.91.8) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
         libcheese7 : Depends: libclutter-gst-2.0-0 (>= 0.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: gstreamer1.0-clutter but it is not going to be installed
         libclutter-1.0-0 : Depends: libcogl-pango15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
        E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages

There is a bug that has been documented with ubuntu on this issue.  Here is the url of the bug listing

Kind regards,
Dominic

Bob Mounger

Mar 5, 2015, 12:01:03 PM3/5/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thank You very much Dominic,

I did a complete re-install of ubuntu this morning & still have the same problem, & was starting to wonder what I had done to this poor laptop :)

I guess I have to wait until this this bug is fixed :(

Thanks again,

Bob

Dominic Uliano

Mar 5, 2015, 1:09:14 PM3/5/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Glad to help Bob.  I really struggled with this and I found a website that explained how to build and run gqrx by using QT Creator.  At first it, there were issues but then I used the Ubuntu update manager (not apt-get) and used it to install/update QT creator (even though it was already built), then I went back and built gqrx and low and behold, it runs.  I am waiting for a dongle to arrive from Amazon today so I can post later to let you know if works or not.

Maybe it will work for you.

Good Luck

Regards,
Dominic

Alexandru Csete

Mar 6, 2015, 5:19:36 PM3/6/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 5:29 PM, Dominic Uliano <dominic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexandru, I think the gqrx package has dependencies on one or more of these
> libraries:

> libcheese-gtk23 : Depends: libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 (>= 0.91.8) but it
> is not going to be installed
> Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not
> going to be installed
> libcheese7 : Depends: libclutter-gst-2.0-0 (>= 0.10.0) but it is
> not going to be installed
> Depends: gstreamer1.0-clutter but it is not going to
> be installed
> libclutter-1.0-0 : Depends: libcogl-pango15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is
> not going to be installed
> Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not
> going to be installed
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
> caused by held packages

Hi Dominic,

If you open synaptic package manager and check the dependencies for
gqrx-sdr you see that gqrx does not depend on any of those packages.
Any dependency to those packages would be indirect and certainly
wrong.

The description of libcheese says: "tool to take pictures and videos
from your webcam"
Why would gqrx depend on a webcam tool?

I think it might be a broken dependency of the Ubuntu desktop. On
Xubuntu 14.04 I can install gqrx-sdr package without any of those
errors.

Alex

Dominic Uliano

Mar 6, 2015, 10:24:21 PM3/6/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
  I think you are right.  I investigated this further and came to the same conclusion.  I think there is a broken dependency of the Ubuntu desktop.  The desktop is unstable for sure.  I installed some QT libraries and I actually lost a setting on my touchpad(scroll) that was there before I installed the libraries.

Even though the dependencies are causing issues, I was able to install gqrx from your git repository with no issues.

Regards,
Dominic

Bob Mounger

Mar 11, 2015, 9:12:30 PM3/11/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
OK I finally got it working. I had to install all of the dependencies with synaptic & then build it with git.

Thanks to all for your help

Bob

Adam Ebel

Mar 13, 2015, 12:21:38 AM3/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It's funny, but Andy got GQRX very well installed on a DVD-ISO, and I tried to install it, and the computer said it was installed, but there was no icon available to click and start the program.

Ian Board

Dec 17, 2015, 1:17:10 AM12/17/15
to Gqrx SDR
I just went through this. What finally worked for me was skipping the repositories - used the build-gnuradio script to build the gnu radio stuff, then git cloned  gqrx and used qmake.  The only (minor) hiccups were that I had to edit the build-gnuradio script for the libzmq stuff and had to bring my libusb  (was crashing until I did this) up to date. I had a lot of  issues with broken dependencies with the repositories. Just building it wasn't that bad (although it takes a   l-o-n-g time).

- Ian