New beta release - GPSTest v3.10.0

Sean Barbeau

Apr 13, 2023, 9:38:03 AM4/13/23
to GPSTest
Hi all,
I pushed a new beta release to Google Play beta testing group (v3.10.0):

It should be available over the next 24 hours or so. If you're not part of the beta testing group you can join here.

This release doesn't include a lot of visual changes, but represents the largest code overhaul of the app since the early (1.5 Cupcake) days of Android.

Specifically, it replaces a lot of Java code with Kotlin, including updating to a more modern architecture based on Kotlin Flow to listen to GNSS updates, and includes a complete re-write of the Status screen in Jetpack Compose. This sets the stage for the app to continue to evolve in future updates.

However, it's very possible there are new bugs in this new code, so a lot of eyes are welcome, especially across different Android versions that I don't have devices to test. Please let me know if you find any problems, and reporting them via GitHub would be ideal.

Here are the highlights for v3.10.0 in the What's New:
• Background execution - You can now log on your device while you do something else!
• GNSS status notification - Shows the number of signals & satellites in view and in use in a convenient notification.
• Filter the Sky - The filter feature now works on the Status AND Sky screens!
• Themed icon support (Android 13 and up) - No more disruptions to your otherwise color-perfect home screen :).
• Bug fixes - see http://bit.ly/gpstest-releases

Full release notes are at:

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Barbeau

lodrog...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2023, 12:51:47 PM4/13/23
to GPSTest
Hi Sean,

with this new version, can we make recording with screen off?

Sean Barbeau

Apr 13, 2023, 2:57:22 PM4/13/23
to lodrog...@gmail.com, GPSTest
Yes, I believe that should work, but let me know if you see differently!

Sean

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023, 12:51 PM lodrog...@gmail.com <lodrog...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sean,

with this new version, can we make recording with screen off?

lodrog...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2023, 3:06:15 AM4/14/23
to GPSTest
i was hoping for a 100% of YES

V. Kelly Bellis

Apr 14, 2023, 7:34:30 AM4/14/23
to GPSTest
@lodrog - How are you doing a screen recording?

V. Kelly Bellis

Apr 14, 2023, 7:36:41 AM4/14/23
to GPSTest
Thank you Sean!
Is it safe to assume that if we are already enrolled as a tester, that this v3.10.0 will be pushed to us?

Sean Barbeau

Apr 14, 2023, 10:14:11 AM4/14/23
to GPSTest
>i was hoping for a 100% of YES

Me too :). I'll put it this way, with background execution based on my past experience it's hard to generalize as sometimes specific devices do strange things.

I have tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S21+ (QCOM) and S23 Ultra (QCOM) by putting the app in the background and then turning off the screen, and then returning around an hour later, and it was still running.

So please give it a try on different devices and let me know if it works!

I think @lodrog was referring to logging.

> Is it safe to assume that if we are already enrolled as a tester, that this v3.10.0 will be pushed to us?

Yes, if you've enrolled in beta testing previously you'll eventually get the Google Play beta update just like a normal app update. It should be live now, so if you haven't automatically gotten the update you can browse to the app listing in Google Play and it should give you an option to update.

Sean

ann strc

Apr 20, 2023, 7:34:19 AM4/20/23
to GPSTest
You changed the font in Status Panel is a good point for visibility
But sats list text line is now too long so split in 2 lines
for some older Smartphone. Samsung A21s 1600x720 Android 12

Solved,  (just temporary for me) in file : 'do_not_translate.xml'
    <string name="gps_azimuth_column_value">%1$.0f\u00B0</string>
see the .0f
which suppress the azimut decimals which are useless.
There are probably a better solution with keeping .1f decimal.

Backgrounded GPSTest is terrific. It maintain sats locked while
   switching others GPS Apps without wait to have sats locked again by the activ app.
   It is a great functionality.
   (This with internal GPS, with mock RTK it was instant even before)

Thanks all ur work GPSTest and many other stuff like the Smartphones  sheet.
regards
GPSTest2lines.jpg

lodrog...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2023, 1:33:52 PM4/20/23
to GPSTest
On Friday, April 14, 2023 at 2:34:30 PM UTC+3 v.kelly...@gmail.com wrote:
@lodrog - How are you doing a screen recording?

i am not doing screen recording. I am doing location recording with navigation apps

i just ask if the beta GPSTest can do the same with screen off. Up to 3.9.16 version this was not possible.

lodrog...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2023, 1:36:37 PM4/20/23
to GPSTest
On Friday, April 14, 2023 at 5:14:11 PM UTC+3 sjba...@gmail.com wrote:
>i was hoping for a 100% of YES

Me too :). I'll put it this way, with background execution based on my past experience it's hard to generalize as sometimes specific devices do strange things.

I have tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S21+ (QCOM) and S23 Ultra (QCOM) by putting the app in the background and then turning off the screen, and then returning around an hour later, and it was still running.

So please give it a try on different devices and let me know if it works!

thanks Sean for the informations

Sean Barbeau

Apr 20, 2023, 1:54:02 PM4/20/23
to GPSTest
> sats list text line is now too long so split in 2 lines

Thanks for flagging this! This affects newer phones up to the S23 as well. I'll fix it in the next release - see https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest/issues/626.

Sean

Sean Barbeau

Apr 24, 2023, 11:35:22 AM4/24/23
to GPSTest

Hi all,

A new beta v3.10.1 is now rolling out. It has a number of bug fixes.

The notable items are:

  • Fix for crash on devices running FDroid version

  • Support for SouthPAN SBAS (thanks Dave Collett!!)

  • Logged files are now copied to the folder “Downloads/GPSTest” after logging is stopped

Full release notes are at:

https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest/releases/tag/v3.10.1

Thanks,

Sean

Sean Barbeau

Apr 28, 2023, 1:00:24 PM4/28/23
to GPSTest
Hi all,
A new beta v3.10.2 is now rolling out. It (hopefully) fixes a crash issue on older Android versions (7 and 8).

Full release notes at:

Thanks,
Sean

lodrog...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2023, 4:14:55 PM6/4/23
to GPSTest
On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 8:00:24 PM UTC+3 sjba...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi all,
A new beta v3.10.2 is now rolling out. It (hopefully) fixes a crash issue on older Android versions (7 and 8).

Full release notes at:

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,
i have a question about beta 3.10.2
into the dark mode skin, does the color be more black ?

Sean Barbeau

Jun 4, 2023, 4:46:43 PM6/4/23
to lodrog...@gmail.com, GPSTest
I don't recall for certain off the top of my head. If there was a change, it would have been most likely on the Status screen, because that's a completely new implementation using newer Google libraries even though it looks very similar to older versions.

Why, are you seeing a difference?

Sean

lodrog...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2023, 12:51:40 AM6/5/23
to GPSTest

left picture Screenshot_20221111-053708
it was the version GPSTest-v3.9.16

right picture Screenshot_20230604-213135
beta version of GPSTest v3.10.2

same device with android 10,  dark skin - colour profile DCI-P3
- the dark skin,  is no so dark as the new version
- the flags hasn't the same space (up down) and the 4 sides has thiner black borders compared with the new version

Sean Barbeau

Jun 5, 2023, 1:00:36 PM6/5/23
to lodrog...@gmail.com, GPSTest
Thanks for the side-by-side!

Yes, if I recall correctly now, I made the change a while back, with the goal to match the dark background being used in other dark themes in other apps. The new dark background provides better contrast. IIRC the old one failed some accessibility tests I ran.

Sean

lodrog...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2023, 1:26:11 PM6/5/23
to GPSTest
On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 8:00:36 PM UTC+3 sjba...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the side-by-side!

Yes, if I recall correctly now, I made the change a while back, with the goal to match the dark background being used in other dark themes in other apps. The new dark background provides better contrast. IIRC the old one failed some accessibility tests I ran.

Sean

Hi Sean,
thanks for the info. For the moment i was confused, i was afraid for an issue into my device.
about the new look, i prefer the new one. It looks much better

i am using for 2 days this beta version. I have test the recording with screen off for 61 minutes. Test ok (only location option)

Sean Barbeau

Jun 5, 2023, 2:33:06 PM6/5/23
to lodrog...@gmail.com, GPSTest
Great to hear, glad you like it and it seems to be working!

Sean

lodrog...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2023, 4:13:24 AM6/9/23
to GPSTest
with this new version of GPSTest 3.10.xx we have a funny situation

into this two parts of screenshot, we can see on the left
- the GNSS location icon
- we have 2 square icons that looks very similar. On the upper of android bar we have the icon of "android print screen" and on the bottom of android bar the "GPSTest" new icon

lodrog...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2023, 12:49:24 PM10/24/23
to GPSTest
GPSTest v3.10.3

with this last version, the SBAS ID 134 is unknown

Sean Barbeau

Oct 24, 2023, 6:12:06 PM10/24/23
to lodrog...@gmail.com, GPSTest
Thanks for sharing Lodro! This is KASS, and I'll address it as part of https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest/issues/598#issuecomment-1516831692.

Sean

lodrog...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2024, 2:22:56 AMFeb 15
to GPSTest
Hi Sean,

with my new device Ulefone Armor 18 ultra using GPSTest 13.10.3 i have found 3 new SBAS with no flags. Those are 121, 132, 134
id 120 shows numbers into CF column

ndo...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2024, 12:27:58 AMFeb 16
to GPSTest
120 Asecna (Africa & Madagascar)
121 EGNOS (Europe)
132 GAGAN (India)
134 KASS (just came out of test mode, available for aviation use, but no approved approaches published yet.
https://insidegnss.com/koreas-kass-satellite-navigation-system-officially-certified-and-operational/

L1 C/A Assignments.

Sean Barbeau

Feb 16, 2024, 10:20:27 AMFeb 16