Estimated Errors compared to H/VDOP

ndo...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2023, 1:13:45 AM11/6/23
to GPSTest
I'm curious why "in app" estimated horizontal errors are always larger than estimated vertical errors, while at the same time HDOP is smaller than VDOP?  This seems contradictory to me.

If you look at the FAA's quarterly performance reports on GPS, horizontal error is nearly always less than vertical.  https://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/DisplayArchive.htm

Is this a bug?  Transposed values?  Other?

Thanks.

Sean Barbeau

Nov 6, 2023, 9:46:26 AM11/6/23
to ndo...@gmail.com, GPSTest
Which devices are you seeing this on? Could you share some screenshots?

Sean

ndo...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2023, 10:54:41 AM11/9/23
to GPSTest
Photo = Moto One 5G Ace (Kiev)

HDOP 0.7
VDOP 0.8

However, estimated V accuracy is considerably lower than E H acc.

gpstest.png

ndo...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2023, 1:43:17 PM11/9/23
to GPSTest
I also looked at a Moto X4, a Moto 5G Stylus, and Galaxy Tab A, and they all showed horizontal error < vertical.  So maybe it's just this device, but would like to understand why?   The Moto One 5G Ace is one of those devices that has an L1/L5 capable chipset, but is locked out in some way to only utilize L1.