Accuracy GPS

Lorenzo Segato

Nov 8, 2021, 2:11:48 PM11/8/21
to GPSTest
The longitude and latitude of our real position is always inaccurate with the gps: so the coordinates indicated by google maps are precise because they are based on other more accurate measurement systems such as correction assisted by 3D mapping?

Sean Barbeau

Nov 8, 2021, 3:40:19 PM11/8/21
to Lorenzo Segato, GPSTest
Lorenzo,
Google Maps, and any app using the "fused" location provider, uses 3D mapping aided corrections as discussed in this article:

This should be more accurate than GNSS alone, although I haven't seen any independent evaluations.

GPSTest intentionally uses the "GPS" provider from Android (which includes all GNSS), so it doesn't include any 3D mapping aided corrections.

Sean

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 2:11 PM Lorenzo Segato <lsega...@gmail.com> wrote:
The longitude and latitude of our real position is always inaccurate with the gps: so the coordinates indicated by google maps are precise because they are based on other more accurate measurement systems such as correction assisted by 3D mapping?

Lorenzo Segato

Nov 8, 2021, 4:21:52 PM11/8/21
to GPSTest
Wouldn't it be better if GpsTest included 3D mapping assisted correction like Google Maps to get a real location?
Lorenzo

Sean Barbeau

Nov 8, 2021, 5:35:50 PM11/8/21
to Lorenzo Segato, GPSTest
Then I'd have to change the name to "Google's-3D-mapping-assisted-correctionsTest" :).

GPSTest is intended to focus on GPS/GNSS, so the primary data shown in the app is related to GNSS.

And just to be clear, Google's solution isn't the "real" location either, it's just another estimate. Which may or may not be better than GNSS alone in a given environment.

That being said, I do think it would be interesting to show the fused location provider alongside the GNSS position in the Accuracy and Maps views, so I opened an issue for this at https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest/issues/564. GnssLogger does something similar. This would only be available in the Google Play version of GPSTest, not F-Droid, because it depends on Google Play Services.

Sean

lodrog...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2021, 1:47:07 AM11/9/21
to GPSTest
1.
one more confused customer who believes that a 99.99 $ handheld device MUST have cm accuracy

2.
i don't know english, i use the google translate. But it is very clear, when we read into the description of a software the word "test" this mean ... "one application to help the user to determine (check) the specifications of the device"
The software won't upgrade the specs of the hardware. Please buy a better device for this use.

Navin Kumar

Nov 13, 2021, 12:46:55 AM11/13/21
to GPSTest
The GPS on Dimensity 1200 is very capable of getting on accuracy of upto 1 meter (about 3.28 feet). The Dimensity 1200 has better gps accuracy than Qualcomm chipsets such as snapdragon 888 (1m accuracy vs 3m accuracy). It includes support for practically all GNSS (such as US GPS, Europe's Galileo, Russian Glonass, China's Beidou or Compass, Japan QZSS and India's NavIC), supports SBAS and dual-band GNSS (L1+L5 bands).
You can check the review of Xiaomi 11T notebookcheck review (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-11T-smartphone-review-High-End-features-at-a-budget-price.576149.0.html ; section: Communication and GNSS - Fast Wi-Fi, accurate GPS) (disclaimer: not an advertisement or endorsement of product). But, the most accuracy you can get is about 1 meter not cm level accuracy.

lodrog...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2021, 5:32:42 AM11/13/21
to GPSTest
On Saturday, November 13, 2021 at 7:46:55 AM UTC+2 navinkum...@gmail.com wrote:
The GPS on Dimensity 1200 is very capable of getting on accuracy of upto 1 meter (about 3.28 feet). The Dimensity 1200 has better gps accuracy than Qualcomm chipsets such as snapdragon 888 (1m accuracy vs 3m accuracy). It includes support for practically all GNSS (such as US GPS, Europe's Galileo, Russian Glonass, China's Beidou or Compass, Japan QZSS and India's NavIC), supports SBAS and dual-band GNSS (L1+L5 bands).
You can check the review of Xiaomi 11T notebookcheck review (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-11T-smartphone-review-High-End-features-at-a-budget-price.576149.0.html ; section: Communication and GNSS - Fast Wi-Fi, accurate GPS) (disclaimer: not an advertisement or endorsement of product). But, the most accuracy you can get is about 1 meter not cm level accuracy.

there is no true reason to copy - paste tech specs, if you don't know ....

- the GPS on Dimensity 1200
what is the GPS ? it is a navigation system made from one country for world wide coverage. If the device support multi systems the description is GNSS.

- what about 1m accuracy
last 5 years (or more) mediatek from series of Helio SoC support 1m accuracy, according a lot of reviews. Some of them we have found into "notebookchec.com" and some from youtube video

- what about 1m accuracy
in what conditions ? static or movement are those measurements ?

- what about 1m accuracy
have you made a comparison test side by side, of a device with mediatek and qualcomm, to record a track (>1 hour) ? into the city with big buildings or into the forest with the mountains and a lot of trees ?
have check the quality of GNSS receiver measurements ?

- what about 1m accuracy
have you made a comparison test side by side (>1 hour), of a device with mediatek and qualcomm, to  check the "drift" into static measurments ?

of course, there are more questions, but those are a good start ....

Navin Kumar

Nov 15, 2021, 7:00:58 PM11/15/21
to GPSTest
From what I have seen Poco M2 pro (snapdragon 720G) with L5 band support looked a bit stable in static position recording than Poco M3 Pro 5G (Mediatek Dimensity 700). I will update static position stated accuracy compared to google earth images when I would get my hands on Xiaomi 11T.

Between, from I have read in internet, Pixel 6 and 6 Pro have dedicated  Broadcom BCM47765 GNSS Receiver SoC (having support for dual-band L1 and L5 with Industry-leading accuracy according to the GNSS manufacturer); I would be interested to know what is the reported and exact accuracy of Pixel 6/ 6 Pro static recording in benchmarks.

lodrog...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 4:28:38 AM11/16/21
to GPSTest
compared with you, i belong to the club of the customers ...
- first i look what the manufacturer is advertise for the specs of the product and then i spend my money