Navigation Messages column in the GPSTest database

Maud Barthélémy

Feb 22, 2024, 6:45:51 AMFeb 22
to GPSTest
Dear Sean,

I'm Maud, currently employed at GSC alongside Emilio.
Our current focus involves compiling a comprehensive list of devices capable of interpreting INAV messages. This compilation serves as an initial stride toward leveraging the OSNMA service.
As far as my understanding goes, if a device is listed in the GPSTest database as supporting Navigation Messages, it implies its capability to read INAV. Consequently, such devices can be deemed compatible with OSNMA.

Could you confirm if my interpretation is correct?

Many thanks,

Best regards
Maud Barthelemy

Sean Barbeau

Feb 22, 2024, 8:31:04 PMFeb 22
to GPSTest
Hi Maud,
Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately the Android APIs themselves that I'm using to determine support for navigation messages don't give us specifics on what the APIs mean.

>Returns true if GNSS chipset supports navigation messages, false otherwise.

>GNSS Navigation Messages are successfully being tracked, it will receive updates once they are available.

Beyond that, there is no guarantee on specifics, as GPSTest doesn't currently read the contents of the navigation message data.

I do have an issue open, though, to add specific observed navigation message types in the future (i.e., read the contents in GPSTest):

Based on what the community has shared in the past, I seem to recall some devices only providing navigation messages for certain constellations. Or some other unexpected behavior - I'll see if I can dig up more info on this.

If anyone else's memory serves them better and you have links to past discussions on this topic, please feel free to chime in too.

Sean