GPS Failing on Nokia G50 Android 13

Mike D

Sep 14, 2023, 6:37:49 AM9/14/23
to GPSTest
Hello Everyone

I've been troubleshooting an issue for a few weeks on a Nokia G50 Android 13 device using GPSTest. The device consistently refuses to find a fixed location using the GPS sensor. Doing the following seems to make the GPS work again.
  • Force stop the Location Services and Android Setup apps
  • Force stop and clear the Cache of the Google and Google Maps apps
  • Restart the phone once or twice
After doing those steps, the device will be able to determine a location using GPS. GPSTest shows the location and GPS satellites. However, after anywhere from a few minutes to 8 hours later, the device stops working with GPS again.

I've tested other devices in the same location as the Nokia G50 using GPSTest, and they consistently get a location from the GPS. So, I don't believe it is the location or environment.

I suppose the question I have is, could this be a hardware issue? If it wasn't for the fact that stopping and clearing the caches seems to fix it for a while, I would have thought that a hardware problem was the most likely cause. I just can't figure out what could be causing it.

Also, I worked with Nokia support on this issue. They had me do all kinds of tests and scenarios, but never came up with anything better than the steps above. I even did a factory reset of the device with only the built in apps and GPSTest installed and still had the issue come up.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Is there something in GPSTest that might point me to the problem area?

Thanks in advance,
MD