Dual-band GPS database got nuked

Die Google

Sep 21, 2023, 9:40:31 PM9/21/23
to GPSTest
Hello!

Is there a newer dual band GPS phone database? It looks like the old one got (partly) eviscerated:

Sean Barbeau

Sep 21, 2023, 9:42:14 PM9/21/23
to GPSTest
Sorry! That was my fault. I had a filter turned on to do analysis and forgot to turn it off.

It should be back to normal now.

Sean

Die Google

Sep 23, 2023, 1:11:50 AM9/23/23
to GPSTest
Cool, thanks!

Jay Zebryk

Sep 23, 2023, 2:52:21 PM9/23/23
to Die Google, GPSTest
Sean,

Curious, I just scanned the database for Apple products.
iPhones are not included?

--
Jay Zebryk

Sean Barbeau

Sep 23, 2023, 6:22:03 PM9/23/23
to J...@zebryk.com, Die Google, GPSTest
Jay,
No Apple products here, just Android. GPSTest is only implemented on Android at this point, and last I looked into iOS you weren't able to get individual GNSS signal and measurements from an iPhone.

Sean

Jim bell

Sep 23, 2023, 6:35:40 PM9/23/23
to Sean Barbeau, GPSTest
Having checked the list, I notice that for some models, there are MANY instances listed.  Yet, they frequently have differing listed characteristics.  How are we to interpret these differences?  If we are looking to see if a given model smartphone has a given feature, shouldn't ALL instances be consistent?

And:
Many phones support "Raw Measurements".
It looks like SOMEBODY needs to 'bite the bullet' and implement the be-all-and-end-all positioning algorithm, ideally including NTRIP corrections into the mix.

Jay Zebryk

Sep 23, 2023, 6:44:16 PM9/23/23
to Sean Barbeau, Die Google, GPSTest
Sean,

Right! I forgot about that.
Apple is very uptight about sharing their OS.

FYI:

For my RF Range Survey work I now use a uBlox XPLR-M9 receiver and a GNSS Multi-Band L1/L2 Surveying Antenna.

image.png

I created custom software to log Test Antenna RSSI versus Distance like the below.
(Windows based using C#)

image.png

Peace,

--
Jay Zebryk

Sean Barbeau

Sep 24, 2023, 9:24:01 AM9/24/23
to J...@zebryk.com, Die Google, GPSTest
>How are we to interpret these differences?

>I created custom software to log Test Antenna RSSI versus Distance

Nice!

Sean

Fung Alex

Sep 24, 2023, 9:31:25 AM9/24/23
to Sean Barbeau, GPSTest
Sean,

Sounds silly, but are we expecting to see RTK correction / DGPS on the Android’s internal GNSS chipset in near future ?

Peter

Sean Barbeau

Sep 24, 2023, 7:19:47 PM9/24/23
to Fung Alex, GPSTest

lodrog...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2023, 4:53:52 AM9/25/23
to GPSTest
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 2:19:47 AM UTC+3 sjba...@gmail.com wrote:
Thank's to Sean who tries help readers to this forum to learn about qualcomm gnss accuracy.
With trimble RTX help after the year 2022, the smartphones of qualcomm chips will have meter-level accuracy into the near future ..... After this knowledge, the reader will like to know - what is the accuracy for last year's or without trimble RTX, when we are using navigation apps like sygic, tomtom, here we go, etc    10, 20, 30 meters ? at 1Hz ???? ha ha ha

after some years i am very tired from companes lies .....

Jim bell

Sep 25, 2023, 7:22:33 AM9/25/23
to GPSTest
i am considering getting a Oneplus Nord 2 5g.  DN2103.  I notice that in the many instances of this model, there are many references to it supporrting various SBAS systems.   I can see, for instance: example: GAGAN, EGNOS, SDCM, MSAS, WAAS.
That sure sounds like plenty!   But I'm wondering what I would actually have to DO to implement these corrections.  Do they just automatically come in, from satellite transmissions, so I don't have to do anything to set them up?
Also, there is a nearby column, labelled SBAS CFs.   And the only signal listed, there or seemingly in many other phones, is L1.
Does this make sense?

Jim bell

Nov 15, 2023, 12:37:16 AM11/15/23
to GPSTest
Can that database be used to select a phone?
There's a lot of data there to slog through.  Suppose I want to choose a new phone, and I want it to have a number of features.  Can I sequentially exclude any phones that have a mis-feature I don't want, or that lack a feature that I do want?

Sean Barbeau

Nov 15, 2023, 12:44:48 PM11/15/23
to Jim bell, GPSTest
Jim,
Yes, this is just a Google sheet, so you can use the data filtering options. See this site for tips:

I'm not sure if you can filter data on the main spreadsheet directly, because it's publicly read only. Worst case scenario you can use the copy option to copy to your own spreadsheet.

Also, please be sure to read this article that describes the fields in the spreadsheet if you haven't already:

Sean

Jim bell

Feb 10, 2024, 2:40:11 AMFeb 10
to GPSTest
Has this borne any fruit so far?

Jim bell

Feb 10, 2024, 2:46:36 AMFeb 10
to GPSTest
For the last few weeks, I have been engaging in a minor project to publicize this list, and getting people to add to the list.  I have written a short explanation of what to do, and have sent it to a few hundred people on the discussion area Quora, telling them what is needed to add to the list.  I have also put this information in a dozen or so Facebook areas.
Checking the database with my smartphone, I see that there are about 340 instances of "2024", and as there appear to be two such instances in a line, I think that means that about 170 instances added this year so far.  How many of these I could reasonably credit to my efforts, I don't know.

Jim bell

Mar 10, 2024, 6:47:28 AMMar 10
to GPSTest
Check out the Nubia Z60 Ultra phone, and the various signals it can receive:

B1, B1C, B2, B2a, E1, E5a, E5b, L1, L2, L5

Sadly, it doesn''t seem to support "carrier phase".

Jim bell

Apr 14, 2024, 4:27:23 AMApr 14
to GPSTest
For the last three months, I have been engaging in a minor project to increase the numbeer of smartphones listed in the GNSS smartphone database.   I have put an 'ad' in Quora, asking people to enter the data for their smartphones, and apparently hundreds of people have done so.  In the database, there are now 889 instances of "2024", and since there are two such instances for each entered line this year, this suggests that there are approximately 444 lines added this year.
While I probably cannot take credit for all of them, I think my project has borne a lot of fruit.

Sean Barbeau

Apr 14, 2024, 7:07:00 AMApr 14
to Jim bell, GPSTest
That's great, thanks Jim!