Hs3

jaria

Jun 23, 2014, 10:34:56 AM6/23/14
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I do get fed up with politicians that treat us as idiots . Osborne is telling us that they are exploring extending HS2 to Leeds and Manchester . This is clearly an effort to gather votes for the next election. I never really forgave him for telling us we should hold our heads up high when giving all this money in foreign aid.
This all at a time when monies are so badly needed to look after those that donate the money to the treasury.
Hs2 is a foregone conclusion as they have already purchased many homes on the planned route.
All this to save minutes on the existing train journey. Understandable in big countries like France but the UK .

Briar

Jun 25, 2014, 7:22:47 AM6/25/14
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
So do I Jaria !

There seems to me little sense in constructing at such hideous expense, slightly less old, outmoded means of travel.
Railways could be a reasonable means for moving heavy freight goods about - they could take some of the load off the roads network, but for passengers they have several disadvantages, the main one being that they never go from where people are to places they want to get to at times they wish to travel !  And the COST of FARES on them is horrendous.

On the other hand, cars and busses are far more comfortable, flexible, and reach the parts that other modes of travel do not reach, if one may be forgiven for borrowing a rather clever advert for a Brand of Beer :)

May I add my thanks to you for posting your message on THIS Forum?   I dont know where all the participators to POC's board have gone, but for sure most of them are not using Jane's pale attempt at a substitute - there were over a hundred of us on the Original, there are less than 20 regular users of Jane's substitute.  I hope to see this one grow and recover most of its former vitality !

Jar...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2014, 8:07:47 AM6/25/14
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
It took a while for me to post Briar and the reason for my reluctance was how rude and personal some posters on the other board have to resort to. The importance seems to be not to make their point but to belittle those that have a different opinion to theirs.
I spent nearly four months on that cruise and we met all types of people and even at the table politics didn't crop up. To try and suggest ones party is always correct and the others wrong all the time is certainly pushing it.  Only the first week we found ourselves with another couple , nice as they were they were both Labour activists and spoke of the conventions they had attended , well I didn't want that and made it clear to the restaurant manager that I'd said a table for two or six , fours can alwAys land you into that sort of situation.

Sent from my iPad
--
-- You've received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups GPPS (General Politics People and Society) group. To post to this group, send an email to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to gpn-general-politics...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/gpn-general-politics-and-news?hl=en
---

Jar...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2014, 8:11:13 AM6/25/14
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I'd go further than that Briar as I think the whole concept of rail as we know it will be out of date. As you say freight maybe but cars are both cheaper and more comfortable getting you direct to your destination or if not a more sophisticated park and ride.
Rail is as you say beyond the pale as far as expense is concerned

Sent from my iPad

> On 25 Jun 2014, at 12:22, "'Briar' via GPPS (General Politics People and Society)" <gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> horrendous.

Briar

Jul 21, 2014, 6:38:32 AM7/21/14
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jaria,

As though the costs of tickets to travel by rail in the UK are not already way beyond any justifiable price, I only today read that they are expected to go up, partly to help pay for this "High Speed" route the current regime in Westminster still plans to have built from London to Birmimgham !

Considering how they are holding down peoples' pay, it will probably only be used by the few dozen CEOs of Big Corporations who have become even richer, through their help !   I can't see it being viable, at that rate !

> On 25 Jun 2014, at 12:22, "'Briar' via GPPS (General Politics People and Society)" <gpn-general-politics-and-ne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> horrendous.

Jar...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2014, 9:28:24 AM7/21/14
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
They or anyone else would never reduce prices when their trains are packed to the gills Briar.
Don't think re nationalisation would help unless gvts were kept well away.
The whole idea us stupid and it's another example of Cameron's stubbornness .
We don't agree on pay as I believe that can only rise when there is competitionforlabour. Forcing companies to pay extra can have the opposite effect tothatwhichis required

Sent from my iPad