how to make a kml-file on the commandline

rvanderh

Jul 2, 2007, 4:55:10 PM7/2/07
to gpicsync
Hi,

Great program gpicsync ! I had some trouble getting the GUI to work on
Debian etch, because I think python-wxgtk2.6 is'nt well installed in
etch. I posted a help question about this already:
http://www.debianhelp.org/node/8552

But I happily have more systems online and in ubuntu fasty fawn the
GUI works great. My first test on a hike in Switzerland you can found
on google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http%3A%2F%2Fjura.vanderhelm.org%2Fdoc8.kml&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1

Next step for me is to automise the administration of my walks on my
own system. So in stead of the gui I would like to embrace and
extinguish you gpicsync.py. But so far I don't see how I can make a
kml-file with it. It only (oeps sorry, know I am spoiled by hard
working guys like you ;)) puts the geodata in my exifdata, but it
doesn't make a kml. Well it doesn't matter like to hack a bit myself
also and probably can learn a lot by playing around with it.

But if I see things wrong please correct me.

See u later, Rik

francois...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2007, 6:02:21 PM7/2/07
to gpicsync
Hi Rik,

The KMLs are not implemented in the command-line (in fact the command-
line, which I don't document on the website, was mainly there at the
begining to test that everything went well).

I've concentrate GPIcSync on the GUI side since there was already Free
command-line tool for geocoding when I started (not to reinvent the
wheel). If you're interested to create KMLs throught the command line
maybe you will find this two projects useful:

http://happycamel.sourceforge.net/
http://www.carto.net/projects/photoTools/gpsPhoto/

Thanks also for sharing the example of the hike that you've
geolocalized. I'll add a link to it in the examples page ( If you
don't mind ).

bye

francois