gperftools 2.14 is out!

Aliaksey Kandratsenka

Dec 31, 2023, 11:48:03 PM12/31/23
to gperftools
Hi. I've just tagged gperftools 2.14.

This release has the following set of notable changes:

* Roman Geissler has contributed a fix to a nasty initialization bug introduced in 2.13 (see github issue #1452 for one example where it fails).

* spinlock delay support now has proper windows support. Instead of simply sleeping, it uses WaitOnAddress (which is basically windows equivalent of futexes). This improvement was contributed by Lennox Ho.

* we now have basic QNX support (basic malloc + heap checker) championed by Xiang.Lin. Thanks! Do note, however, that QNX doesn't provide SIGPROF ticks, so there will be no cpu profiler support on this OS.

* Yikai Zhao has contributed several fixes to important corner cases of generic_fp stacktrace method.

* several people have contributed various improvements to our cmake build: Lennox Ho, Sergey Fedorov, Mateusz Jakub Fila. But do note that cmake build is still incomplete and best-effort.

* Julian Schroeder has fixed generic_fp incompatibility with ARM pointer auth.

* Mateusz Jakub Fila has contributed the mallocinfo2 function (64-bit version of mallinfo).

* Lennox Ho has updated C malloc extension shims to include {Set,Get}MemoryReleaseRate.

* Lennox Ho has contributed to disable malloc functions patching on windows when TCMALLOC_DISABLE_REPLACEMENT=1 environment variable is set.

* User poljak181 has contributed a fix to infinite recursion in some cases of malloc hooks (or user-replaced operator new) and MallocExtension::instance().

* Sergey Fedorov has contributed a fix to use MAP_ANON on some older OSes without MAP_ANONYMOUS.

* the way we detect working ucontext->pc extraction method was reworked and is now fully compile-time as opposed to config-time. This means no more duplication and mismatches between autoconf and cmake bits in this area.

List of relevant tickets can be seen online at: https://github.com/gperftools/gperftools/issues?q=label%3Afixed-in-2.14+

Have a nice day.