GPars site down?

Colin Webber

Nov 28, 2019, 2:53:29 AM11/28/19
to gpars-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi GPars Team

I have just discovered this project and it seems perfect for my requirements but the fact that the gpars.org site is down leads me to believe that the project is dead. Weirdly, Google seems to have cached it on Nov 24th, so perhaps it's only been down when I checked yesterday & today?

Is the project actively maintained or has it been deprecated?

Thanks,
Colin

Balachandran Sivakumar

Nov 28, 2019, 8:34:33 AM11/28/19
to Colin Webber, gpars-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

It seems to load fine for me now, can you please try again. And, I
haven't visited the site recently - probably it could have been down
temporarily. Thanks
> --

Thank you
Balachandran Sivakumar

Russel Winder

Nov 28, 2019, 2:27:28 PM11/28/19

The website http://gpars.org/ seems to be working for me.

> Is the project actively maintained or has it been deprecated?

GPars 1.2.1 is I think the last published version, but it is way out of date.
GPars 1.3.0 never got published even though it should have been. But it is way
out of date. GPars 2.0.0 never got completed before the enthusiasm of the
developers failed in the face of there being no interest in the community.

With Streams built over the standard JSR166 concurrency and parallelism
features, fork/join, etc. Most of what GPars was providing in terms of data
parallelism is now available in standard Java. GPars actors, active objects,
processes/channels, CSP, etc. are not in standard Java.

Parallel Universe's Quasar seemed to be the library to use instead of GPars,
at least in Java. It forms much of the basis for Project Loom which is putting
the necessary support into the JVM.

Kotlin's coroutines provide the basis for concurrency and parallelism in a
style similar to that of GPars. Obviously the trick is to use the high-level
stuff not the low-level stuff.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200

signature.asc

Colin Webber

Nov 28, 2019, 3:06:33 PM11/28/19
to Russel Winder, gpars-de...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to have bugged you all with this. It appears to be a DNS issue - at least in the locations and on the devices I've used in Cape Town. I added 89.185.244.23 to /etc/hosts and continued.

Thanks Russel for the rundown of Gpars history and current state of development. My use case was Spock testing a Java app so I was looking for something more succinct than Streams. Gpars worked beautifully for my simple concurrency test, but given what you've said I would begrudgingly avoid it for a bigger project. Then again I used Grails until long after most had left that party so who knows, I may yet be around for your v1.3.0 and v2.0.0. releases. :-)

Regards,
Colin

Russel Winder

Nov 29, 2019, 3:57:48 AM11/29/19
On Thu, 2019-11-28 at 22:06 +0200, Colin Webber wrote:
> Sorry to have bugged you all with this. It appears to be a DNS issue - at
> least in the locations and on the devices I've used in Cape Town. I added
> 89.185.244.23 to /etc/hosts and continued.

No problem. Better to ask and the problem be something else than people not
know the website is not accessible.

> Thanks Russel for the rundown of Gpars history and current state of
> development. My use case was Spock testing a Java app so I was looking for
> something more succinct than Streams. Gpars worked beautifully for my
> simple concurrency test, but given what you've said I would
> begrudgingly avoid it for a bigger project. Then again I used Grails until
> long after most had left *that* party so who knows, I may yet be around for
> your v1.3.0 and v2.0.0. releases. :-)

I stopped working on GPars and no-one else has picked it up, so it is a
effectively now a dead project. Sad but that is the way FOSS works sometimes.
signature.asc