GPars and versions of Groovy

Russel Winder

Mar 6, 2018, 10:51:28 AM3/6/18
to GPars Developers, Groovy_Developers
Hi,

Currently the GPars build system assumes one and only one version of
Groovy. Currently we have four, most likely incompatible, versions of
Groovy on the boil: 2.4.14, 2.5.0-beta-3, 2.6.0-alpha-3, 3.0.0-alpha-1.
Should GPars be build specially for each version of Groovy?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200

Kerridge, Jon

Mar 6, 2018, 11:43:43 AM3/6/18
to GPars Developers, d...@groovy.apache.org

Hi,

I am having the same problems with the JCSP and GroovyJCSP libraries as well!

Currently I have compilations for 2.4.14 and 2.5.x

I am then coping with the various versions of Java as well J8, 9 10 and 11 before the end of this year!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jon

Professor Jon Kerridge
School of Computing
Edinburgh Napier University
Merchiston Campus
Edinburgh EH10 5DT

0131 455 2777

Mar 6, 2018, 12:04:15 PM3/6/18
to Kerridge, Jon, GPars Developers, d...@groovy.apache.org
On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 16:43 +0000, Kerridge, Jon wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Jon,

> I am having the same problems with the JCSP and GroovyJCSP libraries
> as well!

It has been a very long while since I created the JCSP-1.1-rc5 artefact
and put it into Maven Central. I can't remember which Java I used to
build it. I am not sure I still have the Git repository with all the
changes I needed to create the artefact.

> Currently I have compilations for 2.4.14 and 2.5.x

For Gant (a now useless project except for GINT) I have a Gradle build
that builds for whichever Groovy versions I choose. Currently I assume:

2.4: 2.4.14
2.5: 2.5.0-beta-3
2.6: 2.6.0-alpha-3
3.0: 3.0.0-alpha-1

except it doesn't build just now as I haven't upgraded the build to
Gradle 4.6. I'll fix this. The core idea is to set Gradle to build
multiple projects but all using the same source just with different
dependencies. Naming is the big issue. I have gone with:

gant_groovy2.4
gant_groovy2.5
gant_groovy2.6
gant_groovy3.0

> I am then coping with the various versions of Java as well J8, 9 10
> and 11 before the end of this year!

I am assuming a JDK8 target even though I am using JDK9. I have not
done this as yet, but I am guessing that my one-dimensional structure
can be extended to two dimensions by changing the path to the JDK
version. This I think would be an excellent extension of the build
matrix.

If we need to do for GPars what I did for Gant, it would be a good
opportunity to revise that whole build, indeed start from scratch. The
Gant build has the added complexity of being able to build against a
locally installed Groovy (built from Groovy master/HEAD usually).
signature.asc