September 24th OpenGov Community Summit @ EPA

Lucas Cioffi

Sep 14, 2010, 2:46:57 PM9/14/10
to citizens-f...@googlegroups.com, governmen...@googlegroups.com
(Cross-posted to multiple lists; I apologize for any duplication.)

Howdy Folks,

We're pleased to announce there will be three final opengov community summits in 2010. This month's summit is generously hosted by the US Environmental Protection Agency.

What: The Open Government Community Summit Series is an inter-agency collaborative event hosted by a different agency each month.

Several working groups have formed out of the previous workshop, and the focus for the final three workshops this year is to actually build-- not just talk about-- the infrastructure (i.e. knowledge resources and standard operating procedures) necessary to sustain the open government community over the long haul.

When: Friday, September 24, 2010 from 12pm-3:30pm. We highly recommend you allow plenty of time to clear security.

Where: The US Environmental Protection Agency.  The closest metro station is Crystal City with a 0.8-mile walk down Crystal Drive to the EPA. Alternatively, the 9S bus from Crystal City metro stops at the EPA Building. Parking is available in the building for a fee as well as on the street

Remote participants will be able to contribute ideas and shape the in-person workshop before it takes place. By signing up as a remote participant, you will be invited to a conference call from 11am-12pm EST on September 24th. Final details will be emailed to you on September 20th.

Prior to the workshop, we are using GovLoop discussion forums, and you will receive an invitation to those discussions on September 20th.

Mission of the Workshop Series:
  • Help the open government community organize and gain momentum.
  • Demonstrate that creating a collaborative environment within an agency can be done with minimal resources (this is a no-frills workshop series).
  • Share knowledge across agencies and between the public, private, and non-profit sectors to address questions and challenges that span multiple agencies. All questions/challenges will be chosen by the participants from the public sector.
  • Ensure all great ideas from the workshop are documented online for those that cannot attend.
Now that summer is over and we've seen how much potential open government has, it's time for us to organize ourselves as a community and to make the transition from good to great. Thanks for your continued efforts, and we look forward to seeing you there!

Lucas Cioffi
Organizer, OpenGov Community Summit Series