A Collaborative Knowledge Acquisition Process

Wayne Eddy

Aug 29, 2013, 8:13:50 PM8/29/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, lately I have been giving some thought to defining and developing a collaborative knowledge acquisition process that:

a) benefits the individuals using it;
b) boosts the collective intelligence of the organisations and communities of interest where it is used.

Here's what I've got so far:

Upon identifying a knowledge gap:

 1. Create or update a wiki page to document existing knowledge and future learnings
 2. Search the internet and intranet for information
 3. Ask stakeholders & communities of interest for information, ideas and/or opinions
 4. Update the wiki page with any new learnings
 5. Get to know respondents and what their interests and skills are
 6. Create or update a stakeholders list so that we know who to ask next time we identify a similar knowledge gap
 7. Let stakeholders know about the updated the wiki page

The above is pretty much how I work right now, so I can vouch for the fact that it can benefit individuals, but I really think that if a larger number of loosely networked individuals started working in a similar way it could really benefit the organisations they work for and the communities of interest they are involved with.

For me wikis, especially ones set up as an encyclopedic knowledge base with lots of hyperlinks linking ideas together are an important part of the process, but perhaps blogs could serve the same purpose for people not so comfortable with wikis.

What do you all think?

Can you think of ways of improving the process?

If you can't imagine yourself working like this, why not?

Does anyone out there already work like this?

What are the barriers to working like this?

Andrew Perry

Aug 29, 2013, 9:49:40 PM8/29/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Have you seen LocalWiki? http://localwiki.org

Open Local is about to launch the Collaboratory wiki focused on what is happening in and around that space in Parramatta.

Sent from my iPhone

Wayne Eddy

Aug 29, 2013, 11:27:24 PM8/29/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,thanks for the response.

No I hadn't heard of Local Wiki, although I do remember having a look at the Davis Wiki a while back.
I actually thought about setting up something similar myself about 4 years ago myself, but ended up concentrating on the LGAM Knowledge Base instead.

I have added Local Wiki to my list Local Government related wikis.
http://www.lgam.info/wiki

I also created a page about Open Local on the Local Government & Municipal Knowledge Base
http://www.lgam.info/open-local

And I also added you as a page stakeholder to the Collaborative Knowledge Acquisition Process page
http://www.lgam.info/collaborative-knowledge-acquisition-process

Regards,

Wayne.

Dylan Jay

Aug 30, 2013, 1:11:18 AM8/30/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We've had a lot of luck replacing what we would have used wiki's with cards and board style collaborative systems like trello (http://trello.com).
Wiki's generally don't have good ways to structure the information and take more work to keep organised.

Although for government work we wouldn't recommend it as it stores the data offshore.

Just my 2c :)

Dylan Jay.

Wayne Eddy

Aug 30, 2013, 4:40:31 AM8/30/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dylan,

Trello or something like it could probably serve the same purpose as a wiki in the process I have in mind.

I guess what I'm really advocating is some sort of frictionless platform independent process that would allow everyone to use whatever platform they are most comfortable with,

Let's say you have documented some useful information in Trello on a topic I might be interested in.  Can I easily access it? Is it published under a creative commons license so I can easily reuse it?  If the answer to both is yes, then I'm pretty sure it will suffice.

And while I've got you, what things are interested in?  Let me know, and if I ever discover some valuable tidbit of information on one of those topics, I will let you know where I've published it.
  That's how I see the process working.

Regards,

Wayne.

Andrew Perry

Sep 4, 2013, 2:35:44 AM9/4/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wayne

I have added a page about FixMyStreet Australia (www.fixmystreet.org.au) with a link from the Open Local and Issue Reporting Systems pages on the wiki.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Perry  |  Executive Director  |  0413 045 300  |  02 8090 3696  |  www.communitybuilders.com.au

Community Builders Australia Pty Ltd  |  1300 468 228  |  ABN 97 131 987 703
This e-mail may be confidential. Only the intended recipient may access or use it. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail.  To the full extent permitted by law, we exclude all liability for viruses or similar malicious content in any e-mail.

Our ref:

Wayne Eddy

Sep 4, 2013, 8:28:43 PM9/4/13
to gov20c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew,

Nice work finding finding the "Issue Reporting Systems" page.  I thought I'd created a page along those lines, but I couldn't think of what I called it.​  Does it work for you as the generic term for what fix my street is, or do you have a better term?

Regards,

Wayne.
cb_logo_small_201008.png