65FR38171 Importation of Gypsy Moth Host Material From Canada

robop...@us.govnews.org

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/nara/fed-register/2000/jun/20/65FR38171
Posting-number: Volume 65, Issue 119, Page 38171

[Federal Register: June 20, 2000 (Volume 65, Number 119)]
[Rules and Regulations]
[Page 38171-38177]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr20jn00-1]

Rules and Regulations
Federal Register

This section of the FEDERAL REGISTER contains regulatory documents
having general applicability and legal effect, most of which are keyed
to and codified in the Code of Federal Regulations, which is published
under 50 titles pursuant to 44 U.S.C. 1510.

The Code of Federal Regulations is sold by the Superintendent of Documents.
Prices of new books are listed in the first FEDERAL REGISTER issue of each
week.

[[Page 38171]]

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

7 CFR Part 319

[Docket No. 98-110-2]
RIN 0579-AB11

Importation of Gypsy Moth Host Material From Canada

AGENCY: Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.

ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: We are adopting as a final rule, with minor changes discussed
in this document, an interim rule that established regulations for the
importation into the United States of gypsy moth host materials from
Canada due to infestations of gypsy moth in the Provinces of British
Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec. The rule
requires trees without roots (e.g., Christmas trees), trees with roots,
shrubs with roots and persistent woody stems, logs and pulpwood with
bark attached, outdoor household articles, and mobile homes and their
associated equipment to meet specified certification or destination
requirements if they are intended to be moved into or through areas of
the United States that are not infested with gypsy moth. This action is
necessary to prevent the introduction of gypsy moth into noninfested
areas of the United States.

EFFECTIVE DATE: June 20, 2000.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Ms. Coanne O'Hern, Operations Officer,
Invasive Species and Pest Management, PPQ, APHIS, 4700 River Road Unit
134, Riverdale, MD 20737-1236; (301) 734-8247.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Background

The gypsy moth, Lymantria dispar (Linnaeus), is a destructive pest
of forest and shade trees. The Animal and Plant Health Inspection
Service (APHIS) has regulated the interstate movement of gypsy moth
host materials from areas of the United States that are generally
infested with gypsy moth through its domestic quarantine notices (see 7
CFR 301.45 through 301.45-12), but had not, until the publication of an
August 23, 1999, interim rule, established specific regulations in our
foreign quarantine notices regarding the importation into the United
States of gypsy moth host materials from foreign countries.
In an interim rule effective and published in the Federal Register
on August 23, 1999 (64 FR 45860-45868, Docket No. 98-110-1), we
established a new ``Subpart--Gypsy Moth Host Material from Canada''
(Secs. 319.77-1 through 319.77-5) in 7 CFR part 319 to restrict the
importation of gypsy moth host materials from Canada. This action was
necessary to prevent the introduction of gypsy moth into noninfested
areas of the United States.
We solicited comments concerning the interim rule for 60 days
ending October 22, 1999. We received two comments by that date. They
were from a State government and a foreign government. We have
carefully considered these comments. They are discussed below, by
topic.

Self-Certification of Outdoor Household Articles

One commenter expressed concern over the provision for self-
certification of outdoor household articles (OHA's) moving from
infested areas in Canada into the United States. The commenter asserted
that self-certification will not provide an adequate level of
protection against the introduction of gypsy moth into the United
States because the average person will not know what a gypsy moth egg
mass or other life stage looks like and, therefore, cannot be expected
to certify an OHA as pest free.
APHIS has published a pamphlet called ``Don't Move Gypsy Moth,''
which is updated regularly and is given to mover associations and
national moving companies for distribution to households and
individuals moving from gypsy moth infested areas to noninfested areas.
The pamphlet contains color photographs of all gypsy moth lifestages
and provides detailed information on gypsy moth and the damage it
causes. Included in the pamphlet is a checklist of OHA's to inspect for
possible gypsy moth infestation.
APHIS realizes that there are additional needs for the gypsy moth
awareness campaign and is in the process of determining what types of
information should be made available to the public. In the meantime, we
are distributing the ``Don't Move Gypsy Moth'' pamphlet to persons
crossing the U.S.-Canada border, and are inspecting OHA's that have not
been self-certified and spot-checking self-certifications.
Another commenter requested a phase-in period for the self-
certification of OHA's. The commenter stated that a phase-in period
would allow for the notification of moving companies, brokers, the
business sector, and others and would, therefore, facilitate compliance
with the regulations.
APHIS recognized the need to allow time for notifying moving
companies, brokers, the business sector, and others of the self-
certification requirements of our rule. Between the effective date of
the interim rule (August 23, 1999) and January 1, 2000, persons
arriving at the U.S.-Canada border with OHA's that were not self-
certified were not turned away or penalized in any way. Instead, we
used the opportunity to educate movers and individual travelers on the
new self-certification requirements in order to facilitate future
compliance. In addition, as noted above, we conduct spot checks to
ensure self-certifications are accurate.

Logs and Pulpwood From Infested Areas

One commenter suggested that APHIS should impose stricter
requirements on the importation of logs or pulpwood without bark if
they are from a Canadian infested area and have been stored outside for
any length of time, especially during egg laying season.
Gypsy moth typically seek the shelter of the secluded recesses of
the outer bark of logs, pulpwood, and trees to lay their eggs. Freshly
debarked logs and pulpwood are smooth and are not likely to be used by
gypsy moth as sites to lay their egg masses because they do not provide
the degree of protection for egg masses that bark does.
The interim rule did not create any new restrictions on the
movement of logs and pulpwood without bark

[[Page 38172]]

because logs and pulpwood are not typically debarked until just before
they are to be processed or milled, thereby almost completely
eliminating the possibility that logs and pulpwood without bark will
become suitable host material for gypsy moth. Further, in most cases,
logs that are debarked for processing are typically stored in water
baths between removal of the bark and processing to ensure that they do
not dry out and become less suitable for milling and processing. As
stated in our interim rule, we believe the existing restrictions on the
movement of logs and pulpwood with bark are adequate to ensure that
logs and pulpwood from Canadian infested areas will not disseminate
gypsy moth into noninfested areas of the United States.

Movement of Regulated Articles Through Certain Noninfested Areas

One commenter stated that, in our domestic gypsy moth regulations,
a small portion of the State of Maine is identified as free from gypsy
moth. The commenter further stated that, for many years, the U.S.
Department of Agriculture (USDA) has allowed Christmas trees, logs, and
pulpwood from Canadian infested areas to move through this region to
infested areas of the United States without certificates. The commenter
stated that this arrangement allowed the uninterrupted movement of
these articles from infested areas of Canada to infested areas of the
United States and requested that we continue to allow for the
uncertified movement of Christmas trees, logs, and pulpwood through
this area of Maine into infested areas of the United States.
Currently, there is an area comprising the northern third of Maine
that is not infested with gypsy moth. This area spans parts of the
counties of Aroostock, Franklin, Oxford, Piscataquis, Penobscot, and
Somerset. The commenter is correct in stating that, for many years, we
have allowed Christmas trees, logs, and pulpwood to move through this
area from infested areas of Canada to infested areas of the United
States. APHIS conducts regular gypsy moth trapping surveys in the gypsy
moth-free area, and surveys over the last several years have shown
little expansion of the infested area.
We believe that shipments of Christmas trees, logs, and pulpwood
from infested areas in Canada that transit noninfested areas in Maine
en route to infested areas in the United States present a minimal risk
of introducing gypsy moth into noninfested areas of the United States
because transit distances are typically short and follow routes with
low prevalence of gypsy moth host material. Also, gypsy moth egg masses
that may be present in such shipments are not likely to be dislodged in
transit because gypsy moths typically lay their eggs in sheltered areas
of the bark of trees.
We are, therefore, adding an exception to the regulations to
provide that Christmas trees, logs, and pulpwood from gypsy moth
infested areas in Canada may transit the gypsy moth free area that
makes up the northern part of Maine en route to a gypsy moth infested
area in the United States without a phytosanitary certificate. We are
taking this action because we have determined that allowing shipments
of Christmas trees, logs, and pulpwood to pass through that noninfested
area in Maine without a certificate does not present a significant risk
of introducing gypsy moth into that noninfested area of Maine.

Listing of Infested Areas

One commenter also noted that the description of areas in Canada
identified as infested by gypsy moth in the interim rule differs from
descriptions maintained by the Government of Canada. The commenter
asked that we amend the description of areas published in the interim
rule to conform with Canada's descriptions.
We have reviewed the descriptions of infested areas maintained by
Canada and agree that our descriptions should be changed to bring them
into conformity with Canada's descriptions, which provide more detail.
By taking this action, we are relieving restrictions on the movement of
regulated articles from parts of counties in Canada that are not
infested with gypsy moth that we had incorrectly identified as infested
areas in our interim rule. The revised list of Canadian infested areas
is set out fully in Sec. 319.77-3 of the rule portion of this document.

Certificates of Origin

One commenter asked if the ``certificate of origin'' required by
the interim rule for each shipment of commercial wood products from
noninfested areas of Canada moving to noninfested areas of the United
States is a separate document or if it may be information written on
shipping documents.
``Certificate of origin'' is defined in the regulations as a
document issued by an official authorized by the national government of
Canada that states the area in which a regulated article was produced
or grown and includes any other required additional declarations. In
developing the interim rule, we chose to require a ``certificate of
origin'' to ensure that APHIS inspectors could clearly and confidently
determine the origin of commercial wood products entering the United
States from Canada. Upon further consideration, we believe that
shipments of commercial wood products from noninfested areas of Canada
need only be accompanied by an accurate certification statement
providing where regulated articles were produced or grown. This final
rule will allow such a statement to be attached to, or included on, the
shipping documents accompanying commercial wood products from Canada.

Nonsubstantive Changes

We also have made a minor, nonsubstantive change by correcting the
numbering of two paragraphs in Sec. 319.77-4.
Therefore, for the reasons given in the interim rule and in this
document, we are adopting the interim rule as a final rule, with the
changes discussed in this document.

Effective Date

Pursuant to the administrative procedure provisions in 5 U.S.C.
553, we find good cause for making this rule effective less than 30
days after publication in the Federal Register. The interim rule that
we are adopting in this document as a final rule, with minor changes,
was effective on August 23, 1999. This final rule: (1) Makes minor
changes to the description of the Canadian infested areas described in
the interim rule, resulting in a decrease in their size; (2) provides
that certain regulated articles may be moved from Canadian infested
areas through an area in Maine that is not infested with gypsy moth to
infested areas of the United States without a certificate; and (3)
provides that a certification statement attached to, or included on,
shipping documents may be used instead of a ``certificate of origin''
for commercial wood products. These changes will relieve restrictions
that we no longer find necessary and, therefore, should be made
effective immediately. Therefore, the Administrator of the Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service has determined that this rule should be
effective upon publication in the Federal Register.

Executive Order 12866 and Regulatory Flexibility Act

This final rule has been reviewed under Executive Order 12866. The
rule has been determined to be not significant for the purposes of
Executive Order 12866 and, therefore, has not been reviewed by the
Office of Management and Budget.

[[Page 38173]]

In accordance with 5 U.S.C. 604, we have prepared a final
regulatory flexibility analysis, which is set out below, regarding the
effects of this rule on small entities. The discussion also serves as a
cost-benefit analysis. Based on the information we have, there is no
basis to conclude that this rule will result in any significant
economic effects on a substantial number of small entities.
This rule regulates the importation of gypsy moth host materials
into the United States from Canada due to infestations of gypsy moth in
the Provinces of British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario,
and Quebec. This rule requires regulated articles--trees without roots
(e.g., Christmas trees), trees with roots, shrubs with roots and
persistent woody stems, logs and pulpwood with bark attached, outdoor
household articles, and mobile homes and their associated equipment--to
meet certain certification or destination requirements if they are to
be moved from Canada into or through areas of the United States that
are not infested with gypsy moth.
In our interim rule, we solicited comments on the potential effects
of this action on small entities. In particular, we sought data and
other information to determine the number and kinds of small entities
that may incur benefits or costs from the implementation of the interim
rule. We received no comments on the interim rule's initial regulatory
flexibility analysis.
The United States engages in a great deal of trade in live trees,
live plants, and rough wood. In 1998, the United States imported
approximately $231 million worth of the type of nursery products
covered by this rule and exported approximately $160 million worth of
those products. In that same year, U.S. imports of rough wood,
including logs, pulpwood, and wood chips, were worth approximately $141
million, while exports were worth approximately $1.8 billion.
Canada is the major source of U.S. imports of live trees, live
plants, and rough wood. In 1998, Canada accounted for more than 80
percent of U.S. imports of live trees and plants and for nearly 90
percent of U.S. imports of rough wood. The Canadian provinces affected
by this rule account for the vast majority of Canadian exports of live
trees, live plants, and rough wood to the United States, as shown in
the table below. All figures in the table are rounded to the first
decimal place. Therefore, ``0.0'' represents imports valued at $50,000
or less. Also, for certain commodities, slight discrepancies exist
between the sum of the individual province columns and the ``Total for
Canada'' column because of differences in the data published by
Statistics Canada and the U.S. Department of Commerce. It is also
important to note that these values represent imports from each
province, whereas the infested areas are smaller areas contained within
the provinces. Thus, the values listed are conservatively high
estimates provided to put into perspective the volume of potential host
materials moving across the border.

1998 U.S. Imports of Live Trees, Live Plants, and Rough Wood
[In millions of U.S. dollars]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadian provinces with infested areas Canadian noninfested areas Total U.S. imports
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Export good Prince
British New Nova Ontario Quebec Alberta Manitoba Newfoundland Northwest Edward Saskatchewan Yukon Total for Total for
Columbia Brunswick Scotia Territories Island Canada World
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
60220......................... 0.3 ......... 2.3 7.1 1.7 0.0 ......... ............ ........... 0.3 ............ ......... 11.5 12.2
60230......................... 0.2 0.0 ......... 2.2 ......... ......... ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... 2.4 2.4
60290......................... 22.5 10.4 0.8 97.4 4.7 0.2 0.4 ............ ........... 0.3 0.0 ......... 132.9 162.2
60491......................... 2.5 14.0 7.6 1.4 16.6 0.8 ......... 0.0 ........... 0.0 0.0 ......... 40.6 54.6
440110........................ 1.4 ......... ......... 1.9 0.3 0.0 ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... 3.5 3.9
440121........................ 20.6 0.0 ......... 0.8 0.4 ......... 0.0 ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... 21.8 24.2
440122........................ 3.0 ......... ......... 2.0 0.1 ......... ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... 5.0 5.5
440320........................ 44.7 8.9 1.7 5.6 1.6 5.5 0.0 ............ 0.1 0.1 0.6 ......... 66.8 73.9
440341........................ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... ......... 0.0
440349........................ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... ......... 0.6
440391........................ ......... 0.0 ......... 0.7 0.0 ......... ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... 0.7 1.6
440392........................ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ............ ........... ......... ............ ......... 0.0 0.2
440399........................ 1.0 3.2 0.7 23.3 1.6 0.0 0.4 ............ ........... ......... 0.1 ......... 29.0 31.0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes: The six digit numbers in the ``Export Good'' column denote the harmonized system for classifying commodities in trade. These digits represent classes of live trees, live plants, and
rough wood. The commodities included under each number are as follows:
60220, edible fruit or nut trees, shrubs, and bushes
60230, rhododendrons and azaleas, grafted or not
60290, live plants, cuttings, and slips that are not elsewhere specified
60491, foliage, branches, etc., and Christmas trees
440110, fuel wood (in logs, billets, twigs, etc.)
440121, wood in chips or particles, coniferous
440122, wood in chips or particles, nonconiferous
440320, coniferous wood in the rough, not treated
440341, light/dark meranti and meranti bakau in the rough
440349, other tropical wood in the rough, with or without bark (or roughly squared) and not treated
440391, oak wood in the rough, not treated
440392, beech wood in the rough, not treated
440399, nonconiferous wood in the rough, not treated, that is not elsewhere specified
The symbol ``--'' means that no imports occurred.

Given the destructive potential of gypsy moth, as well as the vast
forest resources in the United States, it is likely that the further
spread of that pest in the United States as a result of the
unrestricted movement of gypsy moth host material from infested areas
in Canada would negatively affect the United States. The likely
negative effects would include growth loss in timber; fewer visitors
and loss of revenues in recreation areas; costs of increased Federal,
State, and local government control activities against gypsy moth; and
costs to landowners.
Over the 5 years preceding the interim rule, APHIS alone spent more
than $30 million on gypsy moth control, eradication, regulatory, and
survey activities. In fiscal year 1998, State and local government
agencies in Oregon, Utah, and Washington, which are noninfested States,
spent more than $1 million to eradicate gypsy moth infestations to
prevent this pest from becoming established in those States.

Entities Affected

As a result of this rule, trees without roots (e.g., Christmas
trees), trees with roots, and shrubs with roots and persistent woody
stems (unless greenhouse-grown throughout the year) that are being
moved from Canadian infested areas into or through U.S.

[[Page 38174]]

noninfested areas \1\ must be accompanied by a Canadian phytosanitary
certificate that includes an additional declaration confirming that the
trees or shrubs have been inspected and found free of gypsy moth or
treated in accordance with the regulations. If the trees or shrubs are
being moved from a Canadian noninfested area into or through a U.S.
noninfested area, they must be accompanied by a certification of origin
stating where the trees were produced or grown in Canada. This rule
also requires logs and pulpwood with bark attached that are being moved
from Canadian infested areas into or through U.S. noninfested areas to
be: (1) Accompanied by a Canadian phytosanitary certificate that
includes an additional declaration confirming that the logs and
pulpwood have been inspected and found free of gypsy moth or have been
treated; \2\ or (2) destined for a specified U.S. processing plant or
mill that is operating under a compliance agreement with APHIS for
specified handling or processing.

\1\ Except articles being moved through gypsy moth free areas in
the counties of Aroostock, Franklin, Oxford, Piscataquis, Penobscot,
and Somerset in Maine. Regulated articles are allowed to transit
these areas en route to infested areas in the United States without
phytosanitary certificates.
\2\ Logs and pulpwood with bark attached may transit noninfested
areas in the counties of Aroostock, Franklin, Oxford, Piscataquis,
Penobscot, and Somerset in the State of Miane en route to infested
areas in the United States without phytosanitary certficiates.

Therefore, this rule will affect entities engaged in the
international movement of regulated articles from Canada into the
United States. The restrictions primarily affect those entities that
move trees without roots (e.g., Christmas trees), trees with roots,
shrubs with roots and persistent woody stems, logs and pulpwood with
bark attached, outdoor household articles, and mobile homes and their
associated equipment from Canadian infested areas into or through U.S.
noninfested areas. However, because of this rule's certification of
origin requirement, entities moving regulated articles into or through
U.S. noninfested areas from noninfested areas of Canada are also
affected to a limited extent.
This rule requires the issuance of some new phytosanitary
certificates, but we expect that it will be a relatively small number.
This is because all trees with roots and shrubs with roots and
persistent woody stems imported from Canada into the United States are
already required to obtain a Canadian phytosanitary certificate under
the regulations at 7 CFR 319.37. This rule simply requires an
additional declaration to that certificate, not a new certificate, for
those products moving from a Canadian infested area to a U.S.
noninfested area. Likewise, trees without roots (e.g., Christmas
trees), logs with bark attached, and pulpwood with bark attached that
are imported from Canada do not need a phytosanitary certificate if
they are either: (1) Moved from a Canadian noninfested area to a U.S.
noninfested area; (2) moved from a Canadian noninfested area to a U.S.
infested area; (3) moved from a Canadian infested area to a U.S.
infested area; or (4) moved from any area of Canada to a specified U.S.
processing plant or mill operating under a compliance agreement with
APHIS for specified handling or processing. The only commodities that
will need a Canadian phytosanitary certificate under this rule are
trees without roots, logs with bark attached, and pulpwood with bark
attached that are moving from a Canadian infested area to a U.S.
noninfested area and that are not destined for a specified U.S.
processing plant or mill under compliance agreement with APHIS for
specified handling or processing.
The information we have concerning the costs of Canadian
phytosanitary certificates is for greenhouse products. Canadian
phytosanitary certificates for greenhouse products require processing
time, in addition to an inspection cost of $15 to $30, and a $5 fee per
shipment (shown in Canadian dollars; these amounts are equivalent to
$10, $20, and $3.26, respectively, in U.S. dollars). We expect
phytosanitary certificates issued for the products affected by this
rule to have similar costs. We estimate that, as a result of this rule,
100 shipments per year will require Canadian phytosanitary
certificates, resulting in total inspection costs averaging
approximately $2,326 (U.S. dollars) per year. However, we do not have
information on the number and size of entities in Canada and the United
States that will be affected by this rule.
This rule also requires the issuance of certifications of origin.
The certification of origin is a new requirement for regulated articles
moving from Canadian noninfested areas to U.S. noninfested areas. The
certification of origin must state where the articles were produced or
grown. Since the certifications can be made by exporters themselves,
this requirement will not result in any additional costs.
This rule also requires individual and commercial movers of outdoor
household articles, including recreational vehicles and mobile homes
and their associated equipment moving from infested areas of Canada
into noninfested areas of the United States to provide a statement
signed by the owner that the articles have been inspected and found
free of gypsy moth. The use of self-inspections should minimize the
costs associated with the importation of these items. Most individual
homeowners who reside in areas of the United States quarantined because
of gypsy moth and who move their own articles currently choose to self-
inspect and issue the signed statement for the movement of their
outdoor household articles. This process takes a few minutes for each
item and involves no monetary cost unless treatment is necessary. For
commercial movers, self-issuing documents could help avoid the costs of
delays, but could still result in costs associated with time, salary,
and recordkeeping for the self-inspections.
When inspection reveals the presence of gypsy moth, the individual
in possession of the infested articles must either return the articles
to their place of origin, treat them, or destroy them. Loads of trees
without roots (e.g., Christmas trees), trees with roots, shrubs with
roots and persistent woody stems, or logs would be an expensive loss if
destroyed, which would occur if the shipper decided against the
alternatives (i.e., return to Canada or treatment). Fumigation is one
treatment alternative, but another--manually spraying caterpillars and
scraping egg masses--is a less costly treatment alternative. Either
treatment is usually done by qualified, certified applicators. In
applications in the United States, fumigation costs average between
$100 to $150 per shipment. Manual treatment would be considerably less
expensive. We do not know at the current time how many entities will be
affected by these treatment requirements.
Other costs of implementing this rule involve border crossings.
This rule will add time to border crossings because it will be
necessary to ascertain whether a recreational vehicle or mobile home is
coming from an area of Canada known to be infested with gypsy moth or
an area free of gypsy moth. There are no data on the number of
recreational vehicles and mobile homes crossing the border from
Victoria, British Columbia, or from other infested areas of Canada.
When primary U.S. Customs Service and Immigration and Naturalization
Service inspectors question the origin of all recreational vehicles and
mobile homes crossing into the United States and distribute information
on gypsy moth to their owners, only a few seconds will be added to each
border crossing. However, with potentially several thousand daily
crossings of recreational vehicles from all areas of

[[Page 38175]]

Canada at peak times, this added time could result in some delays. Some
of the recreational vehicles and mobile homes originating in Canadian
infested areas, as well as those owners who are unsure of origin and
others at the discretion of the primary inspectors, will be sent to
secondary inspection, where APHIS inspectors will ensure that owners
understand the need to inspect their recreational vehicles and mobile
homes for the presence of gypsy moth. Depending on the number of
recreational vehicles and mobile homes sent to secondary inspections,
there may be a need for additional staff at border crossings.
The inspection and certification requirements of this rule are
expected to cause a slight increase in the costs of business for a
limited number of affected entities, but the overall effect on price
and competitiveness is expected to be relatively insignificant.
Additionally, we believe that any increase in costs experienced by
entities as a result of this rule will be very small when compared to
the benefits. The benefits of this rule include the avoidance of
Federal, State, and local government costs and damages to forest
resources resulting from a widespread gypsy moth outbreak in
noninfested areas of the United States.

Alternatives Considered

The alternative to the interim rule (as amended by this final rule)
that we considered was to make no changes in the regulations, instead
relying on border inspections and the Canadian gypsy moth program to
prevent the entry of gypsy moth into noninfested areas of the United
States from infested areas of Canada. We rejected this alternative
after determining that these measures would likely prove to be an
inadequate response to the risk posed by gypsy moth host material
entering the United States from Canada.
This rule contains information collection requirements, which have
been approved by the Office of Management and Budget (see ``Paperwork
Reduction Act'' below).

Paperwork Reduction Act

In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C.
3501 et seq.), the information collection or recordkeeping requirements
included in this rule have been approved by the Office of Management
and Budget (OMB) under OMB control number 0579-0142.

List of Subjects in 7 CFR Part 319

Bees, Coffee, Cotton, Fruits, Honey, Imports, Nursery stock, Plant
diseases and pests, Quarantine, Reporting and recordkeeping
requirements, Rice, Vegetables.

Accordingly, the interim rule amending 7 CFR part 319 which was
published at 64 FR 45860-45868 on August 23, 1999, is adopted as a
final rule with the following changes:

PART 319--FOREIGN QUARANTINE NOTICES

1. The authority citation for part 319 continues to read as
follows:

Authority: 7 U.S.C. 150dd, 150ee, 150ff, 151-167, 450, 2803, and
2809; 21 U.S.C. 136 and 136a; 7 CFR 2.22, 2.80, and 371.2(c).

2. In Sec. 319.77-1, the definition for ``Certificate of origin''
is removed, and a definition for ``Certification of origin'' is added
to read as follows.

Sec. 319.77-1 Definitions

* * * * *
Certification of origin. A signed, accurate statement certifying
the area in which a regulated article was produced or grown. The
statement may be provided directly on the shipping documents
accompanying shipments of commercial wood products from Canada, or may
be provided on a separate certificate.
* * * * *

3. Section 319.77-3 is revised to read as follows:

Sec. 319.77-3 Gypsy moth infested areas in Canada.

The following areas in Canada are known to be infested with gypsy
moth:
(a) Province of British Columbia. (1) That portion of the Highlands
Land District within 1 kilometer of the intersection of Willis Point
Road and Mark Lane; and
(2) That portion of the Highlands Land District within 1 kilometer
of the intersection of Burkin Drive and Munns Road; and
(3) That portion of Quamichaan Land District within 1 kilometer of
the intersection of Sherman Road and Grieve Road; and
(4) That portion of Lake Land District within 1 kilometer of the
intersection of West Burnside Road and Helmeken Road.
(b) Province of New Brunswick. (1) Charlotte County. That portion
of Charlotte County that includes the following parishes: Campobello
Island, Dumbarton, Dufferin, Grand Manan Island, St. Andrews, St.
Croix, St. David, St. George, St. James, St. Patrick, and St. Stephen.
(2) Kings County. That portion of Kings County that includes the
following parishes: Greenwich, Kars, and Springfield.
(3) Queens County. (i) That portion of Queens County that includes
the following parishes: Canning, Cambridge, Gagetown, Johnston, and
Wickham; and
(ii) That portion of Chipman Parish south or west of highway 10;
and
(iii) That portion of Waterborough Parish west of highway 10 and
south of highway 2.
(4) Sunbury County. That portion of Sunbury County that includes
the following parishes: Blissville, Burton, Gladstone, Lincoln, and
Sheffield.
(5) York County. (i) That portion of York County that includes the
City of Fredericton and the following parishes: North Lake and McAdam;
and
(ii) That portion of Queensbury parish south and east of the Scotch
Lake Road beginning in the west at Bear Island on the St. John River
and ending at the Parish border on the east.
(c) Province of Nova Scotia. (1) Annapolis County. The entire
county.
(2) Digby County. The entire county.
(3) Halifax County. The area of the county bounded by a line
beginning at the intersection of the Halifax/Lunenburg County border
and the Atlantic Ocean; then north along the Halifax/Lunenburg County
border to the Halifax/Hants County border; then east along the Halifax/
Hants County border to route 354; then south along route 354 to route
568 (Beaverbank-Windsor Junction Road); then east along route 568
(Beaverbank-Windsor Junction Road) to route 416 (Fall River Road); then
east and north along route 416 (Fall River Road) to route 2; then south
along route 2 to route 102/118; then south along route 118 to route
107; then south along route 107 to route 7; then east along route 7 to
route 328; then south along route 328 to the shoreline of Cole Harbour;
then west along the seashore from Cole Harbour to the point of
beginning.
(4) Hants County. The area of the county bounded by a line
beginning at the intersection of the Hants/Kings County border and the
shoreline of the Minas Basin; then southwest along the Hants/Kings
County border to the Hants/Lunenburg County border; then southeast
along the Hants/Lunenburg County border to the Hants/Halifax County
border; then east along the Hants/Halifax County border to route 354;
then north along route 354 to the Minas Basin; then west along the
shoreline of the Minas Basin to the point of beginning.
(5) Kings County. The entire county.
(6) Lunenberg County. The entire county.
(7) Queens County. The entire county.

[[Page 38176]]

(8) Shelburne County. The entire county.
(9) Yarmouth County. The entire county.
(d) Province of Ontario. (1) That portion of the Province of
Ontario that includes the following counties and regional
municipalities: Brant, Bruce, Dufferin, Durham, Elgin, Essex,
Frontenac, Grey, Haldimand-Norfolk, Haliburton, Halton, Hamilton-
Wentworth, Hastings, Huron, Kent, Lambton, Lanark, Leeds-Granville,
Lennox-Addington, Middlesex, Muskoka, Niagara, Northumberland, Ottawa-
Carleton, Oxford, Parry Sound, Peel, Perth, Peterborough, Prescott-
Russell, Prince Edward, Renfrew, Simcoe, Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry,
Victoria, Waterloo, Wellington, and York; and
(2) That portion of Algoma District that includes the City of Sault
Ste. Marie and the following townships: Bright, Bright Additional,
Cobden, Denis, Garden River First Nation, Indian Reserve #7, Johnson,
Korah, Laird, Lefroy, Lewis, Long, MacDonald, Parke, Plummer
Additional, Prince, Tarbutt, Tarbutt Additional, Tarentorus, Thessalon,
Thompson, Shedden, Spragge, and Striker; and
(3) That portion of Algoma District south of Highway 17 and east of
the City of Sault Ste. Marie; and
(4) That portion of Manitoulin District that includes: Cockburn
Island, Great Cloche Island, Manitoulin Island, St. Joseph Island, and
all Indian Reserves; and
(5) That portion of Nipissing District that includes the City of
North Bay; and
(6) That portion of Nipissing District south of the Ottawa and
Mattawa rivers; and
(7) That portion of Nipissing District south of highway 17 and west
of the City of North Bay; and
(8) That portion of Sudbury District that includes the City of
Sudbury and the townships of Baldwin, Dryden, Dunlop, Graham, Hallam,
Hymen, Indian Reserves #4, #5, and #6, Lorne, Louise; May, McKim,
Nairn, Neelon, Porter, Salter, Shakespeare, Victoria, and Waters; and
(9) That portion of the Sudbury District south of Highway 17.
(e) Province of Quebec. (1) That portion of the Province of Quebec
that includes the following regional county municipalities: Acton,
Arthabaska, Asbestos, Beauce-Sartigan, Beauharnois-Salaberry,
Becancour, Bellechasse, Brome-Missisquoi, Champlain, Coaticook,
Communaute Urbaine de Montreal, Communaute Urbaine de L'Outaouais,
D'Autray, Desjardins, Deux-Montagnes, Drummond, Francheville, Joliette,
L'Amiante, L'Assomption, L'Erable, L'ile-d'Orleans, Lajemmerais, Laval,
La Nouvelle-Beauce, La Riviere-du-Nord, La Vallee-du-Richelieu, Le Bas-
Richelieu, Le Granit, Le Haut-Richelieu, Le Haut-Saint-Francois, Le
Haut-Saint-Laurent, Le Haute-Yamaska, Le Val-Saint-Francois, Les
Chutes-de-la-Chaudire, Les Collines-de-L'Outaouais, Les Etchemins, Les
Jardins-de-Napierville, Les Maskoutains, Les Moulins, Lotbiniere,
Memphremagog, Mirabel, Montcalm, Montmagny, Nicolet-Yamaska, Robert-
Cliche, Roussillon, Rouville, Sherbrooke, Therese-de Blainville, and
Vaudreuil-Soulanges; and
(2) That portion of the regional county municipality of Antoine-
Llabelle that includes the following municipalities: Notre-Dame-du-
Laus, Notre-Dame-de-Pontmain, and Saint-Aime-du-Lac-des-Iles; and
(3) That portion of the regional county municipality of Argenteuil
that includes the following municipalities: Brownsburg, Calumet,
Carillon, Chatham, Grenville, Lachute, Saint-Andre-d'Argenteuil, and
Saint-Andre-Est; and
(4) That portion of the regional county municipality of Communaute
Urbaine De Quebec that includes the following municipalities: Cap-
Rouge, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Quebec, Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, Sainte-
Foy, Sillery, and Vanier; and
(5) That portion of the regional county municipality of La Vallee-
de-la-Gatineau that includes the following municipalities: Denholm,
Gracefield, Kazabazua, Lac-Sainte-Marie, Low, Northfield, and Wright;
and
(6) That portion of the regional county municipality of Le Centre-
de-la-Mauricie that includes the following municipalities: Charette,
Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel, Sainte-Elie, Shawinigan, and Shawinigan
(Sud); and
(7) That portion of the regional county municipality of Les
Laurentides that includes the following municipality: La Conception;
and
(8) That portion of the regional county municipality of Les Pays-
d'en-Haut that includes the following municipality: Mont-Rolland; and
(9) That portion of the regional county municipality of Maskinonge
that includes the following municipalities: Louiseville, Maskinonge,
Saint-Joseph-de-Maskinonge, Saint-Barnabe, Saint-Severe, Saint-Leon-le-
Grand, Saint-Paulin, Sainte-Ursule, Saint-Justin, Saint-Edouard-de-
Maskinonge, Sainte-Angele-de-Premont, and Yamachiche; and
(10) That portion of the regional county municipality of Matawinie
that includes the following municipalities: Saint-Felix-de-Valois,
Saint-Jean-de-Matha, Rawdon, and Chertsey; and
(11) That portion of the regional county municipality of Papineau
that includes the following municipalities: Fassett, Lochaber,
Lochaber-Partie-Ouest, Mayo, Montebello, Montpellier, Mulgrave-et-
Derry, Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours-Partie-Nord, Papineauville, Plaisance,
Ripon (Village et Canton), Saint-Andre-Avellin (Village et Paroise),
Sainte-Angelique, Saint-Sixte, and Thurso; and
(12) That portion of the regional county municipality of Pontiac
that includes the following municipalities: Bristol, Shawville,
Clarendon, Portage-du-Fort, Bryson, Campbell's Bay, Grand-Calumet,
Litchfield, Thorne, Alleyn-et-Cawood, Leslie-Clapham-et-Huddersfield,
Fort-Coulonge, Mansfield-et-Pontefract, Waltham-et-Bryson, L'Isle-aux-
Allumettes-Partie-Est, Chapeau, L'Isle-aux-Allumettes, Chichester,
Sheen-Esher-Aberdeen-et-Malakoff, and Rapides-des-Joachims; and
(13) That portion of the regional county municipality of Portneuf
that includes the following municipalities: Cap-Sante, Deschambault,
Donnacona, Grondines, Neuville, and Pointe-aux-Trembles.
4. Section 319.77-4 is amended as follows:

a. By revising the introductory text of paragraph (a) and paragraph
(a)(1).
b. In paragraph (a)(2)(ii), by removing the word ``certificate''
and adding the word ``certification'' in its place.
c. By revising the heading for paragraph (b), paragraph (b)(1), and
footnote 2.
d. In paragraph (b)(2)(ii), by removing the word ``certificate''
and adding the word ``certification'' in its place.

Sec. 319.77-4 Conditions for the importation of regulated articles.

(a) Trees and shrubs.\1\ (1) Trees without roots (e.g., Christmas
trees), trees with roots, and shrubs with roots and persistent woody
stems may be imported into the United States from any area of Canada
without restriction under this subpart if they:

\1\ Trees and shrubs from Canada that are capable of propagation
may be subject to additional restrictions under ``Subpart--Nursery
Stock, Plants, Roots, Seeds, and Other Plant Products''
(Secs. 319.37 through 319.37-14 of this part).

(i) Were greenhouse-grown throughout the year;
(ii) Are destined for a U.S. infested area and will not be moved
through any U.S. noninfested areas; or

[[Page 38177]]

(iii) Are Christmas trees destined for a U.S. infested area and
will not be moved through any U.S. noninfested areas other than
noninfested areas in the counties of Aroostock, Franklin, Oxford,
Piscataquis, Penobscot, and Somerset, ME (i.e., areas in those counties
that are not listed in 7 CFR 301.45-3).
* * * * *
(b) Logs and pulpwood with bark attached.\2\ (1) Logs or pulpwood
with bark attached that are destined for a U.S. infested area and that
will not be moved through any U.S. noninfested area other than
noninfested areas in the counties of Aroostock, Franklin, Oxford,
Piscataquis, Penobscot, and Somerset, ME (i.e., areas in those counties
that are not listed in 7 CFR 301.45-3) may be imported from any area of
Canada without restriction under this subpart.

\2\ Logs from Canada are also subject to restrictions under
``Subpart--Logs, Lumber, and Other Unmanufactured Wood Articles''
(Secs. 319.40 through 319.40-11 of this part).

* * * * *

Done in Washington, DC, this 14th day of June 2000.
Richard L. Dunkle,
Acting Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
[FR Doc. 00-15470 Filed 6-19-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-34-U