2001CRS12052 LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ACT OF 2001

no...@senate.gov

Nov 28, 2001, 10:34:58 AM11/28/01
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/2001/nov/27/2001CRS12052
[Congressional Record: November 27, 2001 (Senate)]
[Page S12052]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr27no01-133]

LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ACT OF 2001

Mr. SMITH of Oregon. Madam President, I rise today to speak about
hate crimes legislation I introduced with Senator Kennedy in March of
this year. The Local Law Enforcement Act of 2001 would add new
categories to current hate crimes legislation sending a signal that
violence of any kind is unacceptable in our society.
I would like to describe a terrible crime that occurred in April 1995
in Seattle, WA. Ian West, 29, was arrested for attacking a gay man. Mr.
West was subsequently sentenced to five days in jail, ordered to pay
restitution, perform community service, and complete an anger
management class.
I believe that government's first duty is to defend its citizens, to
defend them against the harms that come out of hate. The Local Law
Enforcement Enhancement Act of 2001 is now a symbol that can become
substance. I believe that by passing this legislation, we can change
hearts and minds as well.