2001CRE2141 HONORING FRANCIS M. BAIN

1 view

robop...@us.govnews.org

Nov 28, 2001, 10:35:19 AM11/28/01
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/2001/nov/27/2001CRE2141
[Congressional Record: November 27, 2001 (Extensions)]
[Page E2141]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr27no01-39]

HONORING FRANCIS M. BAIN

______

HON. SCOTT McINNIS

of colorado

in the house of representatives

Tuesday, November 27, 2001

Mr. McINNIS. Mr. Speaker, I would like to take this opportunity to
remember and honor the life of one of America's true leaders. Not only
was he a patriotic soldier during World War II, but he was also a civic
leader in his community. Francis M. Bain passed away at the age of
ninety-two on November 1, 2001, and it is with a solemn heart that I
would like to pay tribute to his life and memory.
Francis Bain was born in Springfield, Illinois on November 7, 1908.
He spent the majority of his childhood growing up in Tungsten,
Colorado, outside of Boulder, where he completed his high school
education and graduated from the University of Colorado in 1931. He
went to Europe during World War II, where he served for four years as a
Lieutenant Colonel in the 65th Infantry Division of the United States
Army fighting to defend the freedom we hold so dear in the United
States.
Mr. Bain's role switched from a military soldier to civic leader when
he returned home from Europe to Colorado. He joined his brother to
manage the family business, Campbell-Sell Baking Company. Throughout
the years he undertook several civic responsibilities including such
posts as a member of the Denver Board of Education for 16 years,
president of the Metropolitan Council for Community Service, and
Trustee of the Temple Buell College and Iliff School of Theology among
others.
Mr. Speaker, Francis Bain contributed so much to our nation and gave
selflessly of himself to the community. He was a leader and role model
for the people of our country both at home and abroad. He has touched
so many lives and his contributions will not be forgotten. I would like
to express my condolences to his family and friends during their time
of mourning.