2001CRE2139B MEMORIALIZING MAYOR BILL MANNING

1 view

robop...@us.govnews.org

Nov 28, 2001, 10:35:17 AM11/28/01
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/2001/nov/27/2001CRE2139B
[Congressional Record: November 27, 2001 (Extensions)]
[Page E2139]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr27no01-34]

MEMORIALIZING MAYOR BILL MANNING

______

HON. JOHN S. TANNER

of tennessee

in the house of representatives

Tuesday, November 27, 2001

Mr. TANNER. Mr. Speaker, I rise today in recognition of the late Bill
Manning, a decorated war hero, a faithful public servant and my friend.
A California native who settled in Tennessee with his wife Jane, Mr.
Manning served two tours of duty in Vietnam and was wounded both times.
During his second tour in 1968, he lost both his left arm and right
hand as a result of a rocket grenade attack. Mr. Manning had a
prosthetic left arm and shoulder, and he designed and patented the
Accra Hook to replace his right hand so he could maintain its
functionality. Those disabilities did not stop what would become a long
list of great achievements.
When he returned from Vietnam, Mr. Manning was elected Recorder in
Gibson County, Tennessee, and later, Governor Ned McWherter appointed
him state Commissioner of Veterans' Affairs. During that time, Mr.
manning played an important role in the construction of three
retirement homes for veterans and three cemeteries for veterans in
Tennessee. The West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery and the state veterans
home in Humboldt are named in his honor.
In 1999, Mr. Manning was first elected mayor of Bradford, Tennessee,
and has been credited with reinvigorating community spirit in that
town. He was elected to his second term in that position in May 2001.
I am honored to have worked alongside Bill Manning, who is truly an
American hero. His spirit and determination allowed him to overcome his
physical obstacles and become a leader whose good work still benefits
the people of Bradford, Gibson County and the state of Tennessee. We
have lost an amazing man, a courageous leader and a dear friend. Mr.
Speaker, I ask that you and our colleagues join me today in recognizing
my friend, Mr. Bill Manning.