2001CRE2139A GENERAL AVIATION INDUSTRY REPARATIONS ACT OF 2001 (H.R. 3347)

robop...@us.govnews.org

Nov 28, 2001, 10:35:17 AM11/28/01
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/2001/nov/27/2001CRE2139A
[Congressional Record: November 27, 2001 (Extensions)]
[Page E2139]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr27no01-33]

GENERAL AVIATION INDUSTRY REPARATIONS ACT OF 2001 (H.R. 3347)

______

HON. BILL SHUSTER

of pennsylvania

in the house of representatives

Tuesday, November 27, 2001

Mr. SHUSTER. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to recognize the good work of
Aviation Subcommittee Chairman John Mica. Today, he introduced the
``General Aviation Industry Reparations Act,'' in an effort to
compensate general aviation businesses that were closed by government
edict after the tragic events of September 11. I am pleased to join
Chairman Mica as an original cosponsor of this much-needed legislation.
As a result of the terrorist attacks, this segment of the aviation
industry was grounded significantly longer and was saddled with greater
flight restrictions than the larger air carriers. In some cases,
certain general aviation airports are still unable to operate. On
October 17th, the Aviation Subcommittee heard testimony from those
affected by the government shutdown, where we learned that direct
compensation is the only hope left for man small companies. Drawing
from these hearings, Chairman Mica's legislation allows qualified
companies that have suffered economic losses due to the government's
actions, to ask for reasonable compensation. This legislation directly
provides the much-needed cash infusion these small businesses require
to stay in business, while making sure only eligible companies receive
funds.
This legislation will affect the constituents of almost every Member
of Congress, because general aviation operates at more than 5,300
public airports across America. More than 92 percent of the roughly
225,000 civil aircraft registered in the United States are general
aviation aircraft. More than 500,000 of the nation's 635,000 pilots fly
general aviation aircraft. General aviation is compromised of private
business owners, large and small, that rely on our national airspace
for their livelihood. Many of these companies are mom and pop flight
schools, parachute schools, scenic tour operators, and the people who
gas up planes and tie them down at night.
On October 3, I introduced the ``General Aviation Small Business
Relief Act'' to help out the struggling industry. My bill would allow
the Small Business Administration to provide direct grants and low-cost
loans to general aviation small businesses directly affected by the
terrorist attacks to help them make it through this tough time. I am
proud to report that 50 of my colleagues, including Chairman Mica, have
joined in the effort to provide relief to general aviation businesses.
This is why I am pleased to join with Mr. Mica today, in trying to
help out the general aviation industry. Congress acted swiftly to
stabilize the large carriers after the tragic events of September 11.
It is time to address the financial crisis facing the general aviation
industry. I fully support Mr. Mica's efforts and am proud to be an
original cosponsor of his legislation.