2001CRE2141A TIME IS RUNNING OUT

1 view

robop...@us.govnews.org

Nov 28, 2001, 10:35:19 AM11/28/01
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/2001/nov/27/2001CRE2141A
[Congressional Record: November 27, 2001 (Extensions)]
[Page E2141]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr27no01-40]

TIME IS RUNNING OUT

______

HON. JANICE D. SCHAKOWSKY

of illinois

in the house of representatives

Tuesday, November 27, 2001

Ms. SCHAKOWSKY. Mr. Speaker, at an historic inter-Korea summit in
June of 2000, the leaders of the two Koreas pledged to work toward
reconciliation and reunification of the divided peninsula. A key
component of healing the 50-year old wounds is for the Korean
governments to work quickly to reunite families that were torn apart
during the violence and chaos of the Korean War.
Families on the Korean peninsula, as well as many Korean Americans in
my district and across the United States, have not given up hope that
one day they will be reunited with their long lost relatives. I applaud
Congressman Becerra for introducing House Concurrent Resolution 77 and
thank Chairman Hyde and Congressman Lantos for bringing it to the floor
tonight. It is my hope that this resolution will reinforce the United
States commitment to a united and peaceful Korea. I urge all members to
vote in support of this important measure.