[GAO-02-96 ] Military Transformation: Army Has a Comprehensive Plan for Managing Its Transformation but Faces Major Challenges

1 view

in...@www.gao.gov

Nov 28, 2001, 6:30:42 AM11/28/01

Military Transformation: Army Has a Comprehensive Plan for
Managing Its Transformation but Faces Major Challenges
(16-NOV-01, GAO-02-96).

The Army has begun to transform itself from a Cold War oriented
force into a more rapidly deployable and responsive force better
able to meet the diverse defense challenges of the future. The
far-reaching organizational and operational changes that the Army
plans will effect virtually every element of the Army and take
decades to implement. In addition, funding the transformation,
including developing and acquiring future combat systems and
modernizing aging equipment will be difficult. To implement the
transformation, the Army has developed a Transformation Campaign
Plan, which is a a mechanism for integrating transformation
efforts within the Army and for achieving the goal of
transforming the Army over 30 years. The Army's Transformation
Campaign plan serves as a common frame of reference for officials
throughout the Army. It defines transformation goals, sets
milestones for achieving them, and assigns lines of
responsibilities for each aspect of the plan. The Army has
established several forums at various levels of the organization
to discuss evolving issues and address matters of concern.
However, the lack of an overall DOD transformation strategy has
led the Army to proceed with its transformation plans solely on
the basis of broad departmental guidance rather than a clear
understanding of how its efforts fit into an overall scheme for
military transformation. Although the results of the Quadrennial
Defense Review as well as other events are likely to affect the
Army's plans, the Transformation Campaign Plan appears to be
flexible enough to permit the Army to adapt its plans to evolving
events.