[GAO-02-180T ] Nuclear Nonproliferation: Coordination of U.S. Programs Designed to Reduce the Threat Posed by Weapons of Mass Destruction

1 view

in...@www.gao.gov

Nov 28, 2001, 6:30:23 AM11/28/01

Nuclear Nonproliferation: Coordination of U.S. Programs Designed
to Reduce the Threat Posed by Weapons of Mass Destruction
(14-NOV-01, GAO-02-180T).

This testimony discusses GAO's recent work on U.S.
nonproliferation programs, and to comment on S. 673--a bill to
establish an interagency committee to review and coordinate such
programs. GAO found that the U.S. programs have achieved some
success, but more needs to be done to keep nuclear weapons,
materials, and technologies out of the hands of terrorists and
countries of concern. Furthermore, there are questions about how
to sustain the security improvements being made. In addition, the
Department of Energy (DOE) and the Department of State programs
to employ weapons scientists face difficulty in conclusively
demonstrating that they are achieving their intended goal of
preventing the spread of weapons-related knowledge and expertise.
With respect to S. 673, there is some debate among officials
about the need for more coordination of U.S. nonproliferation
programs. Based upon work and the findings of two independent
commissions that recently examined these programs, GAO believes
that additional coordination would be helpful and that the
legislation could serve as a vehicle to share information and
best practices for addressing problems GAO identified. GAO also
believes that S. 673 could be strengthened by mandating
development of an overarching strategic plan that clearly
identifies overall goals, time frames for meeting those goals,
and ways to set priorities for allocating resources to address
U.S. nonproliferation concerns.