UPS FOULS UP AGAIN

1 view

Dino

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Our company - WWW.NYFAVIDEO.COM - has had an account with UNITED
PARCEL SERVICE for more than a dozen years. We have used UPS ---
especially their next day and second day service --- to deliver films
and videos to schools, colleges and universities. These shipments are
time sensitive -- in many cases the films shipped are needed for
scheduled screenings and showings.

For the most part, we have had good quality service and few problems.
However, over the past few months UPS has screwed up repeatedly and
consistently.

Two recent highlights:

Last month, we had a screening of three of our films set up for the
Guggenheim Museum in New York City. The Next Day Air package was never
picked up. Repeated calls to the UPS center told us that the package
would be picked up before the end of the day and that we should stop
worrying. The package was never picked up. Finally, we recieved a call
from our local center to inform us that the driver had just returned to
the center (without picking up our packages, of course). The lady
apologized and explained that we could still ship the package out---all
we had to do was get it to our local UPS center (at the other end of
Brooklyn) before the center closed. The center was closing in 15
minutes.

Needless to say, the package didn't get to the Guggenheim Museum via
UPS. In Fact, We had to hire a messenger service to special deliver the
package at a cost of over $100.

The punchline:
Not only did UPS not pick up the package, but they actually BILLED US
FOR IT and their tracking software even showed that they had delivered
it!!!

More apologies followed and this problem was never going to happen
again.

Until last week. A school in Florida had a screening of one of our
films set for Friday. We shipped out the package by UPS air on
Wednesday. On Friday, according to THE UPS tracking system, the package
had made its way to Florida but instead of being delivered was rerouted
back to New York (Albany, this time). Calls to the UPS center assured
us everything was fine, and the package would be there by Monday or
Tuesday.

This is now Wednesday. The UPS tracking software says that our package
is now in PENNSYLVANIA.

This might be comical if it were not for the fact that UPS has made our
company look foolish, has antagonized our customers and has made life
for me a living nightmare.

Worse is that no one a UPS, not the managers, the supervisors or even
the automatons at the 800-PICK-UPS center were able to offer any
solution to help us in any way.

I really wish there was an alternative to UPS.