Changes to University of Arizona support to Guide on the Side (GotS)

Jennifer Church- Duran

Jan 9, 2020, 2:10:11 PM1/9/20
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hello Guide on the Side Community:

I am writing to let you know that the University of Arizona Libraries will no longer be supporting Guide on the Side (GotS), and, as of July 1, 2020, we will be shutting down our demo site.

The code supporting Guide on the Side will continue to be made available under a GNU open source license on GitHub at https://github.com/ualibraries/Guide-on-the-Side, but the UA Libraries will no longer be providing code fixes or other support.

What does this mean for you?

  • If you are currently deploying GotS code on your own servers, you can continue to do so, but will need to perform any security fixes or develop enhancements yourself or in concert with other GotS users. The UA Libraries will no longer coordinate code development and deployment.
  • If you are using the UA Libraries GotS demo server (http://gots.library.arizona.edu/gots-demo/) for production (which we did not recommend), you will want to look for an alternative such as your own installation of Guide on the Side or another similar service.
  • If we are hosting your Guide on the Side instance, you will have already heard from us and know that you also need to look for an alternative.

This was not an easy decision for the UA Libraries, but we could no longer keep up with the technology challenges that updated browser security were causing. We deeply appreciate the enthusiasm that this community has had for the product, and we are sorry that we have to make this decision.

For questions about this decision, please feel free to contact me at my email jchurc...@email.ariziona.edu

Thank you

Jennifer Church-Duran