1.0-beta5 and PHP7

Abigail Laufer

Jul 17, 2018, 4:49:58 PM7/17/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi!   Will 1.0-beta5 be released with support for PHP7 sometime in the Fall or early Winter?   PHP 5.6 is EOL as of December 31st 2018.

Thank you!

Mike Hagedon

Aug 21, 2018, 3:04:44 PM8/21/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
We don't currently have a release date for 1.0-beta5, but your concern is quite valid. In the meantime, the master branch of GotS supports PHP7.

jessi...@sjsu.edu

Aug 28, 2018, 6:35:18 PM8/28/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Mike,

I am trying to install GotS with PHP 7.2.4 and download the zip from Github master branch. It seems that this version from Github doesn't provide lib/ folder. Then I downloaded the lib/ from the zip on https://ualibraries.github.io/Guide-on-the-Side/about.html.

However, when I try to access the home page, I got the error:

Fatal error: Cannot use 'Object' as class name as it is reserved

I am wondering which version of CakePHP you are using to work with PHP 7?

thank you very much for your information.

Jessie Cai

jessi...@sjsu.edu

Aug 30, 2018, 12:14:09 PM8/30/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Mike,

Just follow up Tuesday's message. I've installed CakePHP 2.10.11 with GotS. And it seems that it's working fine except four PHP Warnings were found:
1, Declaration of SteppableBehavior::beforeSave(&$Model) should be compatible with ModelBehavior::beforeSave(Model $model, $options = Array) in XXX/app/Model/Behavior/SteppableBehavior.php
2, Declaration of TaggableBehavior::afterFind(Model $Model, $results, $primary) should be compatible with ModelBehavior::afterFind(Model $model, $results, $primary = false) in XXX/app/Plugin/Tags/Model/Behavior/TaggableBehavior.php
3, Declaration of TaggableBehavior::afterSave(Model $Model) should be compatible with ModelBehavior::afterSave(Model $model, $created, $options = Array) in XXX/app/Plugin/Tags/Model/Behavior/TaggableBehavior.php
4, Declaration of CsvImportBehavior::setup(Model &$Model, $settings = Array) should be compatible with ModelBehavior::setup(Model $model, $config = Array) in XXX//app/Plugin/Utils/Model/Behavior/CsvImportBehavior.php

thanks,
Jessie

Mike Hagedon

Oct 5, 2018, 2:56:33 PM10/5/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Good news! Thanks for the report. GotS does have some warnings that need to be cleaned up.

Mike

J. Robert West

Feb 25, 2020, 4:02:11 PM2/25/20
to Guide on the Side discussion

Can anyone, provide further details about getting GotS to work with PHP7.  I see that Jessie Cai got it working with Cake 2.10.11, but I am not sure where to PUT Cake 2.10.11 in the GotS folder structure to make it work -- assuming I can acquire that version of the cakePHP framework.  Ideally, I would like to get it to work with AT LEAST PHP v7.1.

J. Robert West

Feb 25, 2020, 6:53:33 PM2/25/20
to Guide on the Side discussion
Update:  I think I got it!  Here is how I did the upgrade to GotS, so that it would work on a web server running PHP v7.1:
  1. Found cakePHP v2.10.20, here That is a full distro of cakePHP, but we only need the 'Cake' folder at <downloaded start folder>\Cake\lib\Cake.
  2. Moved the 'Cake' folder for cakePHP v2.6.3 -- which ships with beta4 of GotS -- from <GotS folder>\lib\Cake on my web server, to a safe place.  (So as to have something to fallback to, if this became a problem.)
  3. Copied the new 'Cake' folder for cakePHP v2.10.20 from <downloaded start folder>\Cake\lib\Cake, to the <GotS folder>\lib\ folder on my web server.
FYI, I spent a lot of time trying to reconfigure GotS to work with cakePHP v3.6+ -- did not really fuss much with cakePHP v4.x -- to no avail.  The key ingredient to ver 2.x is that it keeps the 'bootstrap.php' and the 'basics.php' files in the Cake root directory, instead of in sub-folders thereof.

Mike Hagedon

Mar 23, 2020, 3:06:08 PM3/23/20
to Guide on the Side discussion
Glad you got it... that is indeed how to do it!