Default content displayed when using Popup Mode

Matt Monteiro

Jan 17, 2018, 8:54:31 AM1/17/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Where is the initial content that is displayed in the browser for tutorials in Popup Mode coming from and can it be modified?

This is the content we are currently seeing...

Before You Start...

The tutorial is going to pop up on the left, so you'll need to make some room by resizing your current window.

Step 1

Go to the upper right corner of your browser and resize this window.

Please resize your window

Step 2

Start tutorial

Sult, Leslie A - (lsult)

Jan 17, 2018, 9:19:42 AM1/17/18
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com, Simpson, William S - (wsimpson), Mery, Yvonne D - (ymery)

Hi Matt! Are you talking about the directions on the left had side? Those are hard coded, but we are in the process of trying to modify them to make them more user friendly. We’ve done several rounds of usability testing on new directions and are running one more test today. Hopefully we’ll have a change that works and then can share once it is in place.

Hopefully that helps?

Leslie

Where is the initial content that is displayed in the browser for tutorials in Popup Mode coming from and can it be modified?

This is the content we are currently seeing...

Before You Start...

The tutorial is going to pop up on the left, so you'll need to make some room by resizing your current window.

Step 1

Go to the upper right corner of your browser and resize this window.

Image removed by sender. Please resize your window

Step 2

Start tutorial

Matt Monteiro

Jan 17, 2018, 9:38:55 AM1/17/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the reply.  It's the main window that opens when selecting a tutorial that uses Popup Mode, like the example here: http://code.library.arizona.edu/gots-demo/tutorial/017module1-library-website-

Is that what you are referring to as being hard-coded in the application?

I did notice that the Google Scholar Popup Demo on the GoTS site has a different look.

Thanks.

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 9:19:42 AM UTC-5, sultl wrote:

Hi Matt! Are you talking about the directions on the left had side? Those are hard coded, but we are in the process of trying to modify them to make them more user friendly. We’ve done several rounds of usability testing on new directions and are running one more test today. Hopefully we’ll have a change that works and then can share once it is in place.

Hopefully that helps?

Leslie

Sult, Leslie A - (lsult)

Jan 17, 2018, 1:06:43 PM1/17/18
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt, are you talking about the window that opens to the right? That is controlled by the URL that you put in when you build the tutorial. – I’ve attached an image that shows where the URL would g o – hopefully that helps?

Leslie

Where is the initial content that is displayed in the browser for tutorials in Popup Mode coming from and can it be modified?

This is the content we are currently seeing...

Before You Start...

The tutorial is going to pop up on the left, so you'll need to make some room by resizing your current window.

Step 1

Go to the upper right corner of your browser and resize this window.

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Please resize your window

Step 2

Start tutorial

2018-01-17_11-05-16.jpg

Matt Monteiro

Jan 17, 2018, 4:09:55 PM1/17/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
In Popup mode, there's a page (I wouldn't consider it "left" or "right") with some directions about re-sizing the window before actually starting the tutorial and launching that URL you have shown.

Where does that page content that begins with: "Before you start..." come from?

-Matt

Mike Hagedon

Feb 14, 2018, 8:58:06 PM2/14/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Matt,
It comes from app/View/view.ctp. So it's hard-coded, but it could be overridden with a theme or maybe in translation.

Mike