Installation error... VPS/Shared host even possible?

Trip Bauer

Feb 8, 2018, 9:56:00 AM2/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi folks, I've been pounding my head against the keyboard long enough, it's time to admit I have a problem...

I've tried to install this a number of times, after inheriting the project from one of my network admins who fruitlessly tried to install it on a Windows server.

I'm trying to install it on shared hosting, I have access to two different hosts, both fully meet the requirements per the documentation, with everything installed and configured appropriately (or so it seems).

I get:

Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator at webm...@gots.domain.masked to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I get this no matter what, nothing kicking to logs, though I turned on 2 in the config.php per the recommendation. Nothing to indicate where the failure is. Is it just because I'm not installing to root, but rather trying to place this in a directory of another site?

Any help/advice/direction/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Turner

Feb 8, 2018, 4:52:47 PM2/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Have you tried altering the permissions, making sure that apache is part of the group that can edit/delete GOTs files? My install has a problem creating new guides, GOTs just has lots of issues, unfortunately.

Mike Hagedon

Feb 8, 2018, 5:23:47 PM2/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Trip,
GotS can install to non-root locations.

Can you / have you checked both the application logs (app/tmp/logs) and the web server logs?

Mike

Mike Hagedon

Feb 8, 2018, 5:25:40 PM2/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Steven,
I haven't heard of that issue before. Do you have any errors from the app or server logs?

Mike

Trip Bauer

Feb 8, 2018, 9:53:13 PM2/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
I've got nothing, Mike.  The app/tmp/logs is empty, my server logs, or what I can find, just give me a series of 500 errors and who called them, but no further detail (again, shared host, can't get outside of what's provided).  I did run a test to see if rewrite was on, and when I broke the .htaccess I get a directory listing, so it's working (or trying to).

Trip

Trip Bauer

Feb 12, 2018, 10:21:05 PM2/12/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
So I tossed some files in the directories, a phpinfo.php for example (with just phpinfo() in it) and I can't call the file, all I get is a 500.  Is this indicating the server is chewing up the .htaccess files from the installation?

Trip

Mike Hagedon

Feb 14, 2018, 10:16:24 PM2/14/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Trip,
I haven't ever tried GotS in shared hosting, though if Apache and PHP are set up correctly it should work. If you can't call phpinfo() and get output it sounds like PHP is messed up. Which version of GotS and PHP are you running?

Mike

Cindy Harper

Feb 15, 2018, 5:30:40 PM2/15/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
I just started trying to install this on a bluehost cpanel site.

I copied the unzipped directory into public_html.
I created the database and gave the user all permissions.
I successfully copied the install.sql text into the phpmyadmin and created the tables.
i altered the permissions as directed in the README.
I edited the config.yml database, user, and pword data.
I saw this in my PEAR config in cpanel:

"You will need to add “/home2/vtsbpler/php” to the include path. You can do this by adding the following code to your script:

ini_set("include_path", '/home2/vtsbpler/php:' . ini_get("include_path") );"

I wasn't sure where to add this, but put it right up front in index.php.

I tried http://vtsbpl-eresources.us/guide_on_the_side/login, and get a blank page (of course, there's nothing in my database i think unless the install.sql puts in something), but these errors:

Stack trace:
#0 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Datasource/DboSource.php(1616): DboSource->fields(Object(Role), 'Role', 'Role.id')
#1 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Datasource/DboSource.php(1644): DboSource->prepareFields(Object(Role), Array)
#2 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Datasource/DboSource.php(1104): DboSource->buildAssociationQuery(Object(Role), Array)
#3 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Model.php(3022): DboSource->read(Object(Role), Array)
#4 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Model.php(2994): Model->_readDataSource('first', Array)
#5 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Datasource/DboSource.php(599): Model->find('first', Array)
#6 /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Model.php(82 in /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Datasource/DboSource.php on line 2518

I havevn't yet found anything in the code that talks about admin or login... Is that included?

Cindy

Cindy Harper

Feb 15, 2018, 5:33:03 PM2/15/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Oh, and AFAICT, I didn't see an .htaccess in the guide_on_the_side directory so I made one that just redirects to the app/webroot/. before that i was getting the same errors Trip was getting.
Cindy

Cindy Harper

Feb 15, 2018, 5:38:38 PM2/15/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Oh - here's the error:
[15-Feb-2018 22:35:43 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use 'String' as class name as it is reserved in /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Utility/String.php on line 24
[15-Feb-2018 22:35:43 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'String' not found in /home2/vtsbpler/public_html/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Model/Datasource/DboSource.php:2518

Cindy Harper

Feb 15, 2018, 5:46:43 PM2/15/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
OK, I see Cake 2.x is not compatible with PHP 7. So there's something in my hosting site about running different versions of PHP. I'll check.
Cindy

Cindy Harper

Feb 16, 2018, 4:06:10 PM2/16/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
So Bluehost tech support got my PHP set to 5.6. God Bless Tech Support!

BTW - I also had to remove the php_flag statements in my .htaccess, and move those to php.ini. At least that was on PHP 7. Maybe I don't have to do that with PHP 5.6.

Now to SMTP.

Cindy