In the Spotlight - Thames Hare & Hounds

Hazukashii

May 23, 2022, 9:08:51 AM5/23/22
to gotot...@googlegroups.com, Hash List

In the Spotlight – Thames Hare & Hounds
By Ed “Hazukashii” Howell

As I have endeavored to explain in my accumulated history of the Hash House Harriers, we owe a great debt to the Thames Hare & Hounds for the transformational change of the kids game of paperchase, to the adult Hare & Hounds . . . and ultimately, the Hash House Harriers fun we enjoy today.  An early article published in Harper’s Weekly on Hare & Hounds, dated May 23, 1874, explains the game from the kids perspective.

Officially founded in 1868, the first run was held on 7 Dec 1867 when a steeplechase event was executed.  A steeplechase is not a paperchase, so the actual adaptation of the paperchase would not take place until 17 Oct 1868, when a competitive version of the kids game emerged as a “paper hunt” with prizes given to the first hound to snare each hare.   According to their website, the first run was announced as . . . “THAMES HARE AND HOUNDS - A handicap paper hunt will take place on Saturday 17th October [1868], starting from the King’s Head, Roehampton Bottom (one mile from Barnes Station) at 4.30 p.m. (3.45 p.m. train from Waterloo). Hounds, who must be introduced by some member of the Thames Rowing Club or belong to an athletic club, rowing club, school, etc., will be roughly handicapped. A pewter will be given to the hound first to reach each hare.”  Little did they know what would come of it.

While Hare & Hounds clubs evolved to Harrier clubs (a.k.a. Striders, Trotters, etc) back in the UK, taking on a more serious effort in training for racing type events, the Harrier clubs formed by Expats in SE Asia and other parts of the world took on a more social, fun run atmosphere.  In light of this, I contend that when the Hash House Harriers formed in 1938, they were just another Harrier club of the era.  It would not be until 1962 when Ian Cumming formed HHH Singapore, that hashing as we know it today began to emerge as a thing unto itself, and ultimately a worldwide phenomenon.

Getting back to the Thames Hare & Hounds, they are in fact still active, and after curtailing their usual races during COVID, have returned to action with their Dash For The Splash 10k yesterday, held on Wimbledon Common.  The race announcement explains thatThe Dash for the Splash is an all-terrain race over the best of Wimbledon Common featuring mud, hills and our infamous water splash . . . in celebration of 150 years of running on the Common.

Had the young men of the Thames Rowing Club not looked for offseason fitness, the Hash House Harriers would likely never have happened.  So raise a pint in honor of those early visionaries, whom we owe our weekly entertainment and many years of fun to, and probably a few extra hangovers . . . On On Forever.