World Hash Events: October 2022

Hazukashii

Aug 24, 2022, 4:44:09 PM8/24/22
to gotot...@googlegroups.com, has...@harrier.org

Greetings Hashers,

In a rare change of pace, I spent the past month hashing in the United States . . . here is a snapshot of the history of the HHH in the USA.  https://www.gotothehash.net/history/ItS-USA.pdf

My recent journey started with a short week visit to Tampa, Florida that include 3 hash trails.  Over the past 2 and a half weeks (and a few hundred KMs of driving), I was able to run 10 hash trails with 10 different hash clubs [Ithaca H3. Syracuse OnOnDoga H3, Burlington H3, Knightvillain H3, PorME H3, Boston H3, Seacoast H3, Beantown H3, Rhode Island H3, and Halve Mein H3] in New York, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.  With the exception of New York, the other five states (plus Connecticut) make up a region of the US called New England.  Many thanks to all the hashers for their hashpatality.

The next two paragraphs is just my own assessment / opinion.  You are all free to disagree, just wanted to make some comments.

Overall, the hashers were very welcoming and friendly, they all had circles after the trail, and most had some sort of après to follow.  While I certainly enjoyed visiting each club and meeting all the hashers, there was a common trend with each club to have multiple drink stops on trail, and there were also multiple hash holds, J-hooks, and other impediments that hindered the runners from completing the trail.  Often stopping for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes for each drink stop.  One of the trails took nearly 4 hours to complete a roughly 4 mile trail.

I am not trying to be critical of how they execute a hash, but personally, I think this is a symptom/cause for declining numbers on the hash.  There seems to be a growing number of regular running clubs that start from bars throughout the US, but they do not discourage runners by stopping and standing around for long periods of time on the run.  Albeit, they don’t really run interesting trails, but they get to have a bit of exercise without having to keep stopping.  Again, my personal belief, is that hash clubs could boost participation if they backed off on all the ways they use to discourage runners from running.  I think these potential hashers would enjoy the diversity of the trails we set.  I could go on for several more paragraphs on this topic, but I will leave it there for your consideration.  I would be happy to discuss in detail with anyone who would like to explore these options.

While most of you are probably familiar with RA’s “On-On Podcast”, there is another team of hashers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that host the “Half Mind Podcast.”  They have a different format, but cover various aspects of hashing that you may find interesting.  Check them out at . . . https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1788626.rss

I would like to extend a hearty well done to the Stuttgart Hashers for their recent charity drive, that included a red dress run, and raised 2669,69 EUR for the Brustkrebshilfe Deutschland e.V.  Their three goals are:

  1. To promote the prevention and early detection of breast cancer and to break down taboos on this topic.
  2. To provide doctors, sufferers and their families with as much information and support as possible.
  3. Support independent research.

https://brustkrebsdeutschland.de/

Thanks you Stuttgart hashers for making a difference.

HASH HISTORY: If you missed them, here are the latest releases . . .

In the Spotlight – Uganda . . . https://groups.google.com/g/gotothehash/c/W4okcNo4zH4

New articles being published often . . .  See them all at http://gotothehash.net/history/inthespotlight.html

WAY BACK MACHINE . . . hash happenings this month, 5, 10, and 15 years ago.  (Note: some hashers have reported that the links below sometimes do not work.  That is due to the "html" getting snipped off after the period, due to the width of the text.  To make it work, just make sure the link ends in ".html")

5 YEARS AGO:
http://harrier.org/pipermail/hash-l_harrier.org/Week-of-Mon-20170904/009092.html

10 YEARS AGO:
http://harrier.org/pipermail/hash-l_harrier.org/Week-of-Mon-20120827/007530.html

15 YEARS AGO:
http://harrier.org/pipermail/hash-l_harrier.org/Week-of-Mon-20070827/004893.html

Upcoming hash events for the month of October 2022 are listed below.  See the website for more details: http://gotothehash.net/e/hashevents22-10.html

Oct 7-9
Beaver's Backdoors Adventure
Hosted by the Phoenix H3 in Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Oct 7-9
PanAsia
Hosted by the Magelang H3 in Pangandaran, West Java, Indonesia,

Oct 7-9
TriSCerGAFLops
Hosted by the Savannah H3 in Collins, GA, USA.

Oct 7-10
17th FHKIT Reunion
Hosted by the FHKIT in Virginia Beach, VA, USA.

Oct 13-16
Pink Dress Run
Hosted by the Twin Titties Thirstday H3 in Minneapolis, MN, USA.

Oct 14-16
Carolina Wine Mixer Campout
Hosted by the Southern Pines H3 in West End, NC, USA.

Oct 14-16
Cocktoberfest
Hosted by the Southeast Xtra H3 in Helen, GA, USA.

Oct 21-23
30th Anniversary
Hosted by the Blue Hen H3 in Ohiopyle, PA, USA.

Oct 22-23
Naughty Way Weekend Extravaganza!
Hosted by the Richmond H3 in McKenney, VA, USA.

Oct 28-29
3rd Sarawak Nash Hash
Hosted by the Miri Oil Town H3 in Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia.

See the whole three year calendar of upcoming events at http://gotothehash.net/hashevents.html

If you know of an upcoming event not posted to the calendar, please send me the info.

Hashing is fun!  See you on trail someday . . . :O)

On-On,
Hazukashii
Keeper of the old rusty pail, and Chief of the Royal Order of the Smelly Shoe!
http://GoToTheHash.net  (Since 1998)