World Hash Events: September 2021

Hazukashii

Jul 26, 2021, 3:24:31 AM7/26/21
to gotot...@googlegroups.com, Hash List
Hello hashers,

COVID is still the primary concern of the day, and while some regions are
unfortunately swinging back to periods of resurgence, others are starting to
see some relief for opening up with extended hashing opportunities. As
always, hoping hashers all over the world a safe, healthy, and happy hashing
life.

Less than a month away . . . For those hashers attending EUROHASH 21 in
Prague, there has been a great deal of information, including numerous regos
for sale, posted on the FB page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/503697976865538

A recent note from Sloppy Stool: Ladies and Gentlemen - the moment many of
you have probably been waiting for has arrived... Please go to the below
link to select your preferred trail for Eurohash. Failure to select a trail
will lead to you being assigned a trail at random based on the preference
stated when you originally registered for Eurohash!

https://eurohashprague.com/eurohash-trail-info

In the Spotlight - Jordan
By Ed "Hazukashii" Howell

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see? Well, let me tell you.
Officially named "The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan," it is bordered with
Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Syria, and Israel, and would be a landlocked country if
not for a small 16 Km strip at the very southern tip that accesses the Gulf
of Aqaba. Rich with history, this area has been inhabited, literally, since
the original Stone Age. Subsequently, the country has many ancient ruins
including Jerash and Petra. Jerash has artifacts dating back for nearly
10,000 years, but has been ravaged by earthquakes that have caused severe
damage. Located about 50 Kms north of the capital city of Amman, there are
still many stone structures from the Greco-Roman period to see, and well
worth a visit.

Another location in Jordan, for the biblical scholars, is Mount Nebo.
Located near the northern end of the Dead Sea, Mount Nebo is where God took
Moses to see the Promised Land. Which takes us back to "Looking Over
Jordan." Just 35 Kms southwest of Amman, you can see the vast area of the
Valley of the River Jordan, and also a stone's throw from where I had the
pleasure to run a hash trail not so long ago. Petra dates back to the
fourth century BC, and may be much more well known. It has been showcased
in many movies, including Indian Jones in the Last Crusade. Dr. Jones
ventures out, in Hollywood fashion, in search of the Holy Grail, but is much
more visually aesthetic than Monty Python's version.

The first hash club to form in Jordan, was the original Amman H3 that runs
in and around Amman. Founded by John Ward in July of 1979, there appears to
have been a name change sometime in the early 1980s to the Hashemite H3, and
has now completed over 2300 hash trails. John came to Jordan from Iran,
where he had previously hashed with the Tehran H3. The following snippet
comes from the 1985 Middle East Interhash program, giving an unusual early
history of the Amman H3 . . .

"THE FIRST AMMAN HASH was held in July, 1979. The exact date has
been the subject of some discussion, but appears to be lost in the fog of
history along with the Etruscan language. The runners were John Ward, John
Abu Said, Randy Old, Chuck Cogan, Tom Sexton and Sam Starrett. The course
was moderate and completed by all. Unfortunately two of the runners had
just arrived from a mensef, or Arab feast, where, unbeknownst to the guests
(and in all fairness probably the host), the menu featured salmonella typhi
in large quantities, thus producing acute gastric distress, followed soon by
raging attack of typhoid fever. Once this small item was taken care of Hash
runs resumed in earnest."

The next hash to form was the Dead Sea H3 in December of 1980, founded by
Martin Bennett, Jon Bu Hon, and Alan Brown. At the southern end of the
country, the Aqaba H3 was founded on 5 March 1982 by Alan Brown, who had
previously hashed in Amman with the Hashemite H3. A snippet of their
history was also contained in the 1985 Middle East Interhash program as . .
.

"The Aqaba Hash 200th run was on June 27-28 [1984] and was enjoyed
by all. At Christmas '84 there was a doubt whether we would reach this far
as members left for pastures new. The previous [Hash Master] (Brownie)
handed over to 'Hash-It' in September as he expected to be away soon.
Needless to say, he is still commuting twixt Amman and Aqaba. Our numbers
vary between 6 and 20+ depending on the holidays, overland tours, visiting
battleships and peripatetic Ammanites."

On 28 August 1996, Reem Farkouh, founded the Amman Full Moon H3. Finally,
and more recently, Stefan 'Big Fellow' Branisavljevic has founded the second
coming of the Amman H3, on 26 November 2016. This hash has been in
hibernation due to COVID, but plans to restart running trails soon along
with the Hashemite H3.

Depending on which definition you use of the Promised Land, the broadest
being that land between the Nile and the Euphrates Rivers, on my recent
visit we did in fact hash in the Promised Land with the Hashemite H3. We
had a rousing group of 25 hashers, who had been partying all afternoon, and
only 7 of us ended up running trail, but the circle was full on hash gaggle
with plenty of laughs. After mentioning my recent visit to Jordan, Michael
James "Sister Michael" Fotheringham told me about his experience . . . "Back
in 1997 we attended the Hashemite H3 1000th run when we were stationed in
Israel, they had arranged with the interior ministry to let us Hash through
the souk in Petra. Dozens of excited Hashers ran down the ravine to be
confronted with the treasury. About 40 of us crammed into the treasury and
sang Swing Low. The acoustics were awesome."

Without a doubt, If you want to mix ancient history along with your hashing,
put Jordan on your list for future hashing adventures. For many more
articles like this on the history of hashing, check out . . .
http://gotothehash.net/history/inthespotlight.html

Wasting no time or opportunity, after crossing Petra from my bucket list,
and hashing with the Hashemite H3 in Jordan, it was off to Croatia for a
week of hashing with the Dalmatian H3. The Dalmatian H3 is a bi-annual hash
cruise, that cruises along for 7 days, to 7 islands, with 7 hash trails,
along the Dalmatian islands in the Adriatic Sea. It was sailing in the
morning, hashing in the afternoon, and partying in the evening. I am now
back home in Stuttgart, Germany, enjoying some time with many lovely old
hash friends (and you guessed it, will be haring trail tomorrow).

HHH GENEALOGY - Mass updating of the HHH Genealogy project continues.

100% complete:
North America (to include Central America and the Caribbean)
South America
Australia (to include New Zealand)
Antarctica

Partial
~50% of Asia (still need to do Malaysia and Indonesia, most other countries
completed)
~50% of Europe (UK is complete)
~20% of Africa (updated sporadically, need to start from the top and work
each country one by one)

The following clubs in the USA do not have a recorded founding date (date of
first trail). If you have information on these clubs, please contact me.

Austin FM H3 Texas
Big Sky H3 Montana
Bridger H3 Montana
Gypsie H3 Wisconsin
Kern County H3 California
Long Beach FM H3 California
Pacific NW Bashers Society H3 Washington
Pentagon H3 Virginia
Stealth Dallas H3 Texas
St Pete H3 Florida
Taco Tuesday H3 Florida
CAN'd H3 California
Santa Bastard H3 California
Sant'O Barbara H3 California
Temecula H3 California
Greater Des Moines H3 Iowa
Quad Cities H3 Iowa
Yellow Brick Road H3 Kansas
Two Moon H3 Kansas
Beantown City H3 Massachusetts
Lewis & Clark H3 Missouri
Bozo H3 Montana
Prick of the Prairie H3 Nebraska
Concord H3 New Hampshire
Summit FM H3 New Jersey
New Haven H3 Connecticut
Oklahoma OldsKool OutKast H3 Oklahoma
Stumptown H3 Oregon
Whoreman H3 Utah
Hillbilly H3 Virginia
MountainBeers H3 West Virginia
Wild and Wonderful Wed H3 West Virginia
Mountain Momma H3 West Virginia
No Balls H3 Washington

From the Way Back Machine, hash happenings this month . . .

5 YEARS AGO:
http://harrier.org/pipermail/hash-l_harrier.org/Week-of-Mon-20160725/009027.
html

10 YEARS AGO:
http://harrier.org/pipermail/hash-l_harrier.org/Week-of-Mon-20110725/006735.
html

15 YEARS AGO:
http://harrier.org/pipermail/hash-l_harrier.org/Week-of-Mon-20060724/004316.
html

Upcoming hash events for the month of September 2021 are listed below. See
the website for more details: http://gotothehash.net/e/hashevents21-09.html

Sep 3-5
Who's Your Daddy
Hosted by the Pittsburgh H3 in Tarentum, PA, USA.

Sep 3-6 - Postponed to May 2022
USA Nash Hash
Hosted by the Gulf Coast H3 in Cleveland, AL, USA.

Sep 3-6 - Postponed to Sep 2022
InterAmericas Hash
Hosted by the Medellin H3 in Medellin, Colombia.

Sep 10-12
Hashpocalypse
Hosted by the Baltimore Annapolis H3 in Davidsonville, MD, USA.

Sep 10-12
No Frills Weekend
Hosted by the No Frills H3 in Cedar Hill, MO, USA.

Sep 11-12
Adult Field Day
Hosted by the Ft Eustis H3 in Williamsburg, VA, USA.

Sep 10-13
10th Analversary Campout
Hosted by the Alamogordo H3 in Cloudcroft, NM, USA.

Sep 17-19
Hash Bash Away Weekend
Hosted by the High Wycombe H3 in Littlehampton, UK.

Sep 18-21
Hashy Birthday Bash
Hosted by Wild Wolf Productions in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

Sep 24-26
Raving at the Woods
Hosted by the Lehigh Valley H3 & Ben Franklin Mob H3 in Lehighton, PA, USA.

Sep 24-26
The Hot Mess Invades Nevada
Hosted by the Wilderness H3 near Steptoe, NV, USA.

Sep 28 - Oct 5
30th Anniversary
Hosted by the Aloha H3 on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.

See the whole two year calendar of events at
http://gotothehash.net/hashevents.html

If you know of an upcoming event not posted to the calendar, please send me
the info.

Hashing is fun! See you on trail someday . . . :O)

On-On,
Hazukashii
Keeper of the old rusty pail, and Chief of the Royal Order of the Smelly
Shoe!
http://GoToTheHash.net (Since 1998)

them know they can sign up by sending an email to
gotothehas...@googlegroups.com