GOTM practice cases

60 visningar

Boqi Boqitian@UW.Edu

oläst,
5 jan. 2024 19:09:135 jan.
till GOTM-users
Hi all,

I'm new to GOTM and try to learn it through the practice cases. I can see that the 'open channel' case is listed as 'not ready'. May I ask what piece is missing for that case? Is there something that I can do about it? Thanks!

Best regards,
Kevin

Karsten Bolding

oläst,
8 jan. 2024 02:17:288 jan.
till gotm-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I think there enough case for a new user to explore - even without the channel case :-) We are in the process of updating to version 7 - and during the phase I believe the channel case will be fixed as well.

Karsten

harc...@uw.edu

oläst,
11 jan. 2024 13:24:4811 jan.
till GOTM-users
Disambiguation, please: Is the 'un-readiness' (per cases-6.x/READY_CASES & cases-5.x/READY_CASES) of thus-identified test set-ups {channel, couette, entrainment, greifswald, reynolds, wave-breaking} test set-up just a matter not being ready to run with the newer  GUI capability, or does 'un-readiness' apply more broadly both to the GUI and to the command-line-run modalities itemized in README? If the former, please confirm, as GUI is not everyone's priority. If command-line-run for these test set-ups is also failing in some way since before 2017 v5, can we get a hint on what might need to be fixed? Channel test case in particular?

Hans Burchard

oläst,
12 jan. 2024 00:24:3012 jan.
till gotm-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ramsey,

currently unfortunately some of the test cases do not run even in for the command-line mode. The reason is that we have switched to the TEOS-10 routines for the thermodynamics such that even some scenarios with constant potential density do not work consistently. We are working hard on it and hope to have it fixed during the next few days. We will write a notification to the list when things work again.

Best regards, Hans.

Hans Burchard
Physical Oceanography and Instrumentation
Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research

Am 11.01.2024 um 19:25 schrieb harc...@uw.edu <harc...@uw.edu>:

Disambiguation, please: Is the 'un-readiness' (per cases-6.x/READY_CASES & cases-5.x/READY_CASES) of thus-identified test set-ups {channel, couette, entrainment, greifswald, reynolds, wave-breaking} test set-up just a matter not being ready to run with the newer  GUI capability, or does 'un-readiness' apply more broadly both to the GUI and to the command-line-run modalities itemized in README? If the former, please confirm, as GUI is not everyone's priority. If command-line-run for these test set-ups is also failing in some way since before 2017 v5, can we get a hint on what might need to be fixed? Channel test case in particular?

Ramsey Harcourt

oläst,
12 jan. 2024 12:09:5012 jan.
till gotm-...@googlegroups.com
Thank-you, Hans. The channel case doesn't crash or anything like that in command line and it produces conventional profiles for u, tke and eps. It is one of those constant density test cases though, so we will watch for anything strange in the density. Think i did notice there were some very small anomalies in output density profiles -- we'll look again for those. Alternatively, I realize I could just cut the ('ready') estuary case down incrementally to the ('not ready') channel flow case by zeroing out the tidal and surface forcing. -Ramsey

Hans Burchard

oläst,
13 jan. 2024 08:15:5413 jan.
till gotm-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ramsey,

no need to strip the estuary case down to channel. Both should work, and
we are working the the final checks now. If you see anything strange
with any of the test cases, please let us know.

Cheers, Hans.

--
Hans Burchard, Prof. Dr.

fon: +49-381-5197-140
fax: +49-381-5197-114
e-mail: hans.b...@io-warnemuende.de
website: https://www.io-warnemuende.de/hans-burchard-en.html

Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemünde
Physical Oceanography and Instrumentation
Seestraße 15
D-18119 Rostock
Germany
Svara alla