Density change of water caused by sediment

Bing Sun

Oct 12, 2023, 4:11:31 AM10/12/23
to GOTM-users

Dear All,

I imported the sediment concentration from the iow/spm module of FABM into GOTM to calculate the change of water density caused by sediment. What puzzles me is that if the density change caused by sediment is taken into account in the hydrodynamic process, the calculation of which variables need to be modified.

Related model settings: buoy_method=1, turb_method=3, scnd_method=2.

In my code, only the calculations of buoy and rho have been modified in /src/meanflow/stratification.F90. Do I need to modify the calculation of other variables? For example, whether the calculation of NN should be modified in the /src/meanflow/stratification.F90 file.

(based on gotm 5.3, commit id : 9d13a6d48cb53e0c930d8fce39cc25d27193376b)

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

All the best,

Bing

Knut

Oct 12, 2023, 6:09:44 AM10/12/23
to gotm-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Bing,

some time ago I implemented density and viscosity correction due to sediment for some test runs. Together with Jorn we decided to let FABM calculate all correction terms. Nothing has been published yet, but maybe we can combine the merge into FABM and GOTM master with a nice published application as validation. Feel free to contact me.

Cheers, Knut

Bing Sun

Oct 12, 2023, 10:45:14 AM10/12/23
to GOTM-users
Thank you, Knut. I will contact you for details.