"unable to lookup group" in the middle of restore.

Steve Gavrilles

Mar 25, 2024, 10:34:53 AMMar 25
to Got Your Back: Gmail Backup
For some reason, I keep getting the error "404: Unable to lookup group - notFound", then it goes right back to restoring.

It never fails at the same point, so I don't think it's an individual message causing the issue. Likewise, it keeps going, so I don't think it's a permanent failure with the service or admin account.

When the process completes, I can see that the message count is way off. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a way to make this process complete without error?

The command I'm using is:

gyb --action restore-group --service-account --use-admin ad...@domain.com --email gr...@domain.com --local-folder GYB-GMail-Bac...@domain.com

And this is what the terminal window looks like afterwards:
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 10.29.23 AM.png

So it's having issues, then recovering somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 11, 2024, 4:18:06 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to Got Your Back: Gmail Backup
bump, same

Jay Lee

Jul 11, 2024, 4:27:27 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com
What's happening is that GYB is calling the API to migrate a message to the group. It works, it works and then randomly Google servers stop accepting the message and claiming the group doesn't exist. GYB doesn't have much choice at that point than to skip that message and move on to the next one.

You can try re-running the migration command again after it finishes, GYB will try migrating those messages that failed because Google said the group doesn't exist again.

Jay Lee

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Got Your Back: Gmail Backup" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/got-your-back/b1fa7466-aa10-4b2b-b654-cf087744f947n%40googlegroups.com.

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 11, 2024, 4:30:51 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com
ah okay - and to confirm the logs for what has been migrated are the .sqlite files?

Jay Lee

Jul 11, 2024, 4:32:46 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com
Correct. The sqlite file tracks which emails have been migrated.

Jay Lee

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 11, 2024, 5:20:37 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com
Perfect , thank you so much
Does it also track ones skipped because of the size limit?

Jay Lee

Jul 11, 2024, 6:16:55 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com
No, failed messages are not logged. Thus on later runs they are retried.

Jay Lee

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 11, 2024, 7:51:41 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 12, 2024, 12:24:48 AM (6 days ago) Jul 12
to got-yo...@googlegroups.com
it would be just running the same command though correct?
I reran it and it gave me

Using backup folder /Users/jonathan.ascencio/Desktop/GYB_Backups/
Groups supports restore of messages up to 26214400

then ends/quits

Message has been deleted

Jonathan Ascencio

Jul 15, 2024, 2:49:00 PM (2 days ago) Jul 15
to Got Your Back: Gmail Backup
any thoughts? I attempted again this morning to see if it was something temporary but running the same command still gives out