New Install - Immediately getting 429 rateLimitExceeded errors

Carlos Aya

Mar 27, 2024, 2:09:19 AMMar 27
to Got Your Back: Gmail Backup
Constantly getting these errors, dozens at a time:

<HttpError 429 when requesting https://gmail.googleapis.com/gmail/v1/users/me/messages/16c7882d5e8075db?format=raw&fields=id%2ClabelIds%2CinternalDate%2Craw&alt=json returned "Resource has been exhausted (e.g. check quota).". Details: "[{'message': 'Resource has been exhausted (e.g. check quota).', 'domain': 'global', 'reason': 'rateLimitExceeded'}]">
backed up 20300 of 78357 messages

Checking my project API settings in the cloud console i can see the following, which seems to indicate that I am a far cry from the 1,200,000 queries/minute threshold.  Any ideas?

Untitled.png

Carlos Aya

Mar 27, 2024, 2:17:42 AMMar 27
to Got Your Back: Gmail Backup
disregard - fixed with the --batch-size argument.  Seems like the default batch size is too high.  I saw a lot of people recommend 4, but I set mine to 20 and everything worked after that and I was able to backup 16 years of emails in an hour 🎉