Gosu 0.8.5-C (The Type Loader Release) is available

Carson Gross

Jan 31, 2011, 5:47:06 PM1/31/11
to gosu...@googlegroups.com

All,

We are happy to announce the release of Gosu 0.8.5-C, available for download now from:

  http://gosu-lang.org

In addition to many bug fixes, this release has a major set new of features: Gosu now includes Type Loaders for WSDL and XSD files, as well as Java Properties files, out of the box.  What this means is that you can now put WSDL, XSD and Java Properties files in your source directories and access them in a type-safe manner directly from Gosu, without needing to run any sort of code gen.

Just drop them in and, blam, go.

The authors of these type loaders will be putting out additional documentation and explanations over the coming weeks, and we will post links to these articles to this news group.  Also coming up soon will be a series on the Open Type System from Gosu’s creator, Scott McKinney.

Additionally:

  * Gosu is now split into both .zip and .tgz distributions, to better support our users on the *NIX platforms

  * Gosu  (finally) supports a '--version' option from the command line

  * The built in editor (gosu -g) no longer automatically creates 'registry.xml' files

  * Issue tracking has been moved from google code to github (https://github.com/gosu-lang/gosu)  All issues have been migrated over.

Again, you can download Gosu from the main website:

  http://gosu-lang.org

Happy Gosuing,

Carson

jtong

Jan 31, 2011, 8:55:12 PM1/31/11
to gosu-lang
Great work! Super excited about the WSDL and XSD type loaders

Johnny

jtong

Feb 2, 2011, 10:12:12 AM2/2/11
to gosu-lang
Is the current eclipse 0.7C gosu plugin suppose to work with the WSDL
and XSD typeloaders?

I'd like to try out the newly release typeloaders on Eclipse. Do I
have to wait for the 0.85C plugin for eclipse?

Johnny

Carson Gross

Feb 2, 2011, 11:21:43 AM2/2/11
to gosu...@googlegroups.com
Johnny,

Unfortunately the eclipse plugin does not understand the new typeloaders.

The build in editor will, however, work with the typeloaders, and supports editing classes.  So you can lay a project out like this:

  /my_proj
    /src
      /xsds
        employee.xsd
    /bin
      my_proj.gsp

and, if the content of employee.xsd is something like this:

  <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
        <xsd:element name="Employee">
           <xsd:complexType>
              <xsd:sequence>
                 <xsd:element name="SSN" type="xsd:string"/>
                 <xsd:element name="Name" type="xsd:string"/>
         <xsd:element name="DateOfBirth" type="xsd:date"/>
       <xsd:element name="EmployeeType" type="xsd:string"/>
         <xsd:element name="Salary" type="xsd:long"/>
             </xsd:sequence>
          </xsd:complexType>
        </xsd:element>
  </xsd:schema>

You could write the following program:

  classpath "../src"

  uses xsds.employee.Employee
  uses gw.xml.date.XmlDate

  var x = new Employee(){ :SSN = "1011001", :Name = "Ted", :DateOfBirth = new XmlDate(), :EmployeeType = "None", :Salary=100000 }

  x.print()

using the built in editor, with code completion, etc.

Obviously this isn't ideal, and we'd like to get an update out for the Eclipse plugin, but customers come first, and our IDE team is grinding away for them.

Now, adding insult to injury, I'm kind of lying here.  Unfortunately, the 0.8.5 release has a bug that will prevent the built in editor from parsing correctly.

We are going to push a new version Real Soon Now (this week) that fixes the editor, as well as a few other bugs people have reported.

Thanks for your patience and willingness to give gosu a try!

Cheers,
Carson

jtong

Feb 2, 2011, 2:51:23 PM2/2/11
to gosu-lang
Carson

That's great! I was playing with the Gosu editor last night to get
code completion with my xsd.

Is there a way I can contribute to the documentation on a wiki or
lazygosu?

I'm sure other people are having the same trouble as I was going
through last night trying to set up the classpath and experimenting
with putting xsd in different dir to get the gosu typeloaders to pick
up the files.

Just want to record my experience so others can avoid the mistakes
that I made.

Johnny
> > gosu-lang+...@googlegroups.com<gosu-lang%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups .com>
> > .

JP

Feb 9, 2011, 9:27:14 AM2/9/11
to gosu-lang
Sweet! Playing around with the XmlElement object - so nice to have
some easy to use xml support in gosu now.

Carson Gross

Feb 9, 2011, 11:22:02 AM2/9/11
to gosu...@googlegroups.com, gosu-lang
Yeah, David and his team's stuff is excellent. He has been slammed lately (like all of us) but at some point he'll chime in on thief design and use.

I've integrated his webservices support into ronin and just need to clean it up a bit for the next release.

Cheers,
Carson

On Feb 9, 2011, at 6:27 AM, JP <johnp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sweet! Playing around with the XmlElement object - so nice to have
> some easy to use xml support in gosu now.

kembrek

Aug 17, 2016, 9:11:01 AM8/17/16
to gosu-lang
Hi Carson,

Does the XSD typeloader continue to be part of the Open Source Gosu? I've been having a look through the Gosu 1.14.1 sources and couldn't find anything.

Many thanks,

Mike

Carson Gross

Aug 17, 2016, 12:27:18 PM8/17/16