New to gOS & have many questions ! help pls

prince xiaomi

Sep 27, 2009, 3:44:06 PM9/27/09
to gOS Linux
hi everybody,

i use mac ox on my macbook just for few months and very satisfied .i
love it
but i have an old laptop which runs win xp now and i hate it !
so i think i am lucky that i find gOS on wikipedia suddenly and i
really wanna try it .i think Google Chrome is same as this gOS ! !!

anyway i have no idea about linux system and i completely confused on
linux and versions.
but i think gOS is different so pls help me !!!!

1- please tell me best reason that i should use gOS ?
2- if i have gOS on my system , then i can use any linux software and
install on my gOS?
3- can i use pop3 email client in gOS?
4- do i need anti virus for gOS ?
5- what languages gOS supports ? i need specially Persian and Chinese
simplified .
6- can gOS recognize the hardware itself ?? or we should install them
manually?
8- can i run windows or mac software on gOS , ( directly through
parallel or other software )?
9- where can i find softwares for gOS ? any website ?
10- do i need linux cd when install gOS too?
11- can i use photoshop on gOS?
12- can i use corel draw on gOS?
13- what is the media software on gOS? and which format it supports?
14- can download CLOUD for my system or it only pre-installed on
special netbooks?
15- does openoffice.org is pre-installed in gOS?
16- if there are some more FAQ links pls give me i read and study
more.
17- can i run yahoo and msn messenger on gOS ?

i am so excited to have gOS ! hehe
thanks for reading,
i appreciate gOS and people who try hard to make something like this !
wish u success !

mahjongg

Sep 27, 2009, 9:01:01 PM9/27/09
to gOS Linux
1) Its fun, has a OSX like dock, and many extras, and runs on older
systems with just 256MB of RAM, and simple Video hardware. If you have
(lets say) 1GB of RAM, and a new Nvidea video card, you might be
better off with Ubuntu 9.10 with Compiz, and the AWN dock (for Mac
afficinados's use mac4lin), but for older (desktop) systems its ideal.
2) Yes.
3) Obviously yes, gOS has a very nice e-mail client.
4) No need for any Anti-virus scanners, unless you want to scan e-mail
for others for Windows virii.
5) it generally supports all the Languages that Ubuntu (hardy heron)
supports, and I'm not sure, but I believe Chinese is supported, not
sure about Persian. BUT, the language switch does NOT influence gOS
own menu's which remain in the only language supported, English. You
can try it with the Live CD, without installing.
6) Yes, gOS recognizes all hardware fully automatically, all hardware
for which Linux drivers are available are detected on startup,
including printers and such. Put in a new Video card (for example),
reboot, and gOS will simply use it. One exception, gOS always defaults
to a simple CRT monitor, this limits the initial screen resolution to
800x600. After choosing the correct monitor with a (hidden) menu
program ("screens and graphics"), you can set any supported
resolution. (use "main-menu" menu editor to unhide the screens and
graphics menu). gOS has built in drivers, for almost all hardware,
with the notable exception for WiFi dongles, of which some brands have
refused to allow Linux drivers.
7?
8) You can use a "virtual-PC" program under gOS, (a free one), but
many windows programs work on gOS because it includes WINE.
9) No websites needed, gOS can install almost all (non-commercial)
Linux software directly from online "Software warehouses" called
"repositories", using its built in software installer "Synaptics", or
using its simple application installer. "add-remove", just choose the
software you want installed, and click one button. Exceptions are
commercial programs, like Adobe flash player. gOS comes with many such
programs already installed.
10), no the gOS live CD contains the complete Linux system.
11) With some restrictions you can use older Windows versions, using
Wine, or you can use the Linux equivalent, "The Gimp" which comes pre-
installed.
12) Idem....
13) there are many, and they support all formats known to man. gOS
comes with several media players for audio, and video, for Video I
suggest installing VLC.
14) No, its not available (yet), when it is it should be possible.
15) Yes.
17) for a start you can read this:
http://groups.google.com/group/goslinux/web/essential-gos-3-gadgets-install-guide
and this
http://groups.google.com/group/goslinux/web/essential-tips-for-beginning-gos-3-users
this is also a nice introduction:
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-gos-3.0-gadgets
17 No (but yes, for older versions using WINE), but gOS comes with
alternative messenger software that can cope with many protocols,
including MSN and Yahoo. If you insist on a MSN work-alike, I
recommend installing gMSN.

Good luck, and have fun.

James Wilson

Sep 27, 2009, 10:53:38 PM9/27/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
gOS is fine with preinstalled wine and a macos-like dock, but why
don't you use the latest version of ubuntu? gOS is more than a
customorized ubuntu. or you can wait for chrome os or gos cloud.

James Wilson

Sep 27, 2009, 10:55:02 PM9/27/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
mistake, i mean , no more than a customorized ubuntu

prince xiaomi

Sep 27, 2009, 11:51:40 PM9/27/09
to gOS Linux

mahjongg !
thanks a lot for your kindness and support !

a)my laptop is Asus , 512RAM /1.2GHz .80GB .

i think i can use gOS

7 ) !! i have no access to live cds . cant buy here . so i decided to
download from internet. i downloaded from the mirror site which was
introduced on gOS website.
size of file 694MB .
then do i need additional Linux Cds ?! or this one is enough
to install .

i am going to read those links now.
your info. helps many of us thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!

prince xiaomi

Sep 28, 2009, 12:00:40 AM9/28/09
to gOS Linux
hi james,
thanks for ur reply.
first of all i dont know linux at all and my computer knowledge is not
that much !
i think gOS is more simplified and easy to use for people like me !
^.^

clouad : they said "Cloud will initially be released online for
specific Netbooks only."

and in fact i am not sure what's differences between gOS
and Cloud .if u know tell me pls.

Chrome OS : will release 1 year later . late2010.

thanks !

On Sep 28, 10:53 am, James Wilson <wowjameswil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gOS is fine with preinstalled wine and a macos-like dock, but why
> don't you use the latest version of ubuntu? gOS is more than a
> customorized ubuntu. or you can wait for chrome os or gos cloud.

Roy

Sep 28, 2009, 8:13:15 AM9/28/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
Follow the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

It will take only one CD.

Roy

Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and ... free!
Support open Source
<,*)}}+<
Only dead fish go with the flow.
Follow LinuxCanuck on Twitter or Identi.ca for the latest news.

prince xiaomi

Sep 29, 2009, 12:17:39 AM9/29/09
to gOS Linux
thanks roy !

in fact these days i am thinking why people should still using windows
while there are better choices like mac osx and linux !

On Sep 28, 8:13 pm, Roy <linuxcan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Follow the instructions here:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
>
> It will take only one CD.
>
> Roy
>
> Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and ... free!
> Support open Source
> <,*)}}+<
> Only dead fish go with the flow.
> Follow LinuxCanuck on Twitter or Identi.ca for the latest news.

Roy

Sep 29, 2009, 8:19:14 AM9/29/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
Ouch! OS/X?

It is the direct opposite to Linux. Like Windows it is proprietary and DRM laden and treats its users like fools. But, I get what you mean. It is an OS done almost right. Take out the DRM and it would be worth considering.

Roy

Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and ... free!
Support open Source
<,*)}}+<
Only dead fish go with the flow.
Follow LinuxCanuck on Twitter or Identi.ca for the latest news.

David Jones

Sep 29, 2009, 1:56:10 PM9/29/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
Well, I use linux and Windows. I keep windows because it has tons of
software and games. I also use Sabayon Linux because of the eye candy. Right
now I am developing games for both windows and Linux, with a more focus
towards Linux.

David Jones
Zencala Computers
http://www.zencalacomputers.com