partition problem , NO ROOT FILE SYSTEM

prince xiaomi

Sep 29, 2009, 11:53:15 AM9/29/09
to gOS Linux

i have made the cd finally with your help and run it already as
well .gOS is very cool.
now i am going to install it and it asked me to select the partition

in PREPARE PARTITION i can see my partitions, i select my empty drive
which i formatted before in windows already , and i try to select and
Forward ,
but it gives me an error : "NO ROOT FILE SYSTEM is defind . please
correct this from partitioning menu."

i selected the drive and click on "edit partition" . in the coming
window i can see size / use as / format the partition / mount point .

what should i do now ?

please help !! i am really a linux newbie , but i feel its new world !
gOS is my first linux.
thank you !!!

Roy

Sep 29, 2009, 3:12:15 PM9/29/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
When you choose your drive you also have to set the mount point. It should be / for root.

Roy

Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and ... free!
Support open Source
<,*)}}+<
Only dead fish go with the flow.
Follow LinuxCanuck on Twitter or Identi.ca for the latest news.

2009/9/29 prince xiaomi <smartin...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted

mahjongg

Sep 29, 2009, 5:29:14 PM9/29/09
to gOS Linux
Owww, that is the WRONG way to go about creating a dual boot system,
you are on a path to FUBAR your Windows install! Outsmarting the
installer is a BAD idea, so please remove the partition again (assign
the space back to windows), and let the installer do the work. The
installer will offer to split space, and create a dual boot system,
ONLY if it sees a valid Windows filing system in the first primary
partition, and if that partition has enough empty contiguous space for
a gOS system. This installer option is recognizable by the space
assignment slider it represents. Especially If you want a boot manager
for your dual boot system I would advise against using the "manual"
option, and if you do not want to PERMANENTLY loose windows you should
never use the "use whole disk" option!

So I STRONGLY advise you, (if you are creating a dual Windows/gOS
system) to defragment AND error check the Windows partitions, (using
the windows defrag tool) BEFORE installing gOS, as the installer can
get into problems when it encounters problems in the NTFS filing
system. And letting windows do
the de-fragmenting (necessary to create continuous free space to use
for splitting off a new partition) is also very advisable.

If you are creating a dedicated gOS computer (no windows) on an old
hard-disk that used to contain Windows, I advise to use the partition
editor (gparted) on the live_CD to remove ALL the partitions on the
hard-disk before running the installer.

prince xiaomi

Sep 30, 2009, 1:07:33 AM9/30/09
to gOS Linux
hi mahjongg

really thanks a lot for your help !

i only need a dual boot, ( xp and gOS ) .
and i just afraid that it overwrite on my windows/C or other drives D/
E/G and lose my data.
thats why i have made one Drive ( F ) empty completely and wanted to
install gOS on that drive and wanted to do installation manually.

so now you mean that i dont need to select the partitions manually ,
and i just have to follow the installation and click Forward ,
gOS will automatically install on the empty space it finds itself and
not Format or delete my other existing files on hard disk?! right?

so in installation wizard at step 4 , i have 3 choices :

- guided , resize SCSI3 (000) PARTITION #7 sda and use freed space (
- guided use entire disk
- manual

gos selected first one itself.
in which i can drag and adjust the size in the toolbar below it. 8GB
is enough right?)
i think the left side (orange color ) is my current old hard disk
size , and left size written gOS is going to be selected size for
gOS .

2- before installation .do i need to defrag ALL of my hard disk
drives ? or just particular drive ?

thanks a lot for your help.

mahjongg

Sep 30, 2009, 8:06:26 AM9/30/09
to gOS Linux
[quote]i only need a dual boot,[/quote] Only? Well, that is the most
difficult way of installing gOS... :lol:

[quote]so now you mean that i dont need to select the partitions
manually , [/quote] Yes, in fact you do not even need to know what a
partition IS.

[quote]gOS will automatically install on the empty space it finds
itself and not Format or delete my other existing files on hard disk?!
right? [/quote] Yes, in fact it will simply look if there is enough
space on the first partition for gOS to fit in, then attempt to
defragment the partition itself, so there is one big piece of space at
the end of the partition to split of into a new partition, but its
much better if Windows does the defragmenting (its safer) so the big
space at the end is already in place, and the installer doesn't need
to do defragmenting. It will leave the (rest of) the existing
partitions in peace. The only other thing it does to the first
partition is replacing the very first sector (boot sector) so it
contains (part of) the new ("grub") boot-loader, for the boot menu
manager.

[quote]guided , resize SCSI3 (000) PARTITION #7 sda and use freed space
[/quote] Yes, that is the one, you are right, the space to the left of
the slider is the space at the start of the partition, for Windows,
and the space at the right of the slider will be assigned for gOS. 8GB
is plenty for gOS. In fact it can do with 4GB, but you want space for
your files too.

[quote]before installation .do i need to defrag ALL of my hard disk
drives ? or just particular drive ? [/quote] No you just need to
defragment (and equally important do a filing system error check) of
the first partition, gOS won't (need to) do anything with the other
partitions.